Thread: Bird Poop Frog Identification Help Please?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Bird Poop Frog Identification Help Please?

I've seen both Hyla Marmorata and Theloderma Asperum listed as bird poop frogs... is this the same frog with different names or two different species all together? Can someone tell me the difference and if care is the same or not? Thanks!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Bird Poop Frog Identification Help Please?

Definitely two different frogs from two different parts of the world, Theloderma aspernum are Asian while Hyla marmorata are from South America. They share a common name due to their appearance, although T.aspernum at least has other common names. I'm sure their care would be quite different, Theloderma spend a lot of time in water.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

4. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info I know I've seen Marmoratta for sale here, and I've heard that someone here was breeding Aspernum, but couldn't find that particular one in our state's allowed list... unless they also go by another name?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

They're often know as 'Pied Warty Frog' over here. In this allowed list, wouldn't the scientific name be used though? A lot of species share common names with others from different locations so it could be confusing otherwise!
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They do use the taxonomic names yes, and the only Theloderma species I found listed was cortical (sp?) which are the Mossies. H. Marmorata were on the accepted list, but I didn't see T. Asperum anywhere. Guess I'll have to contact the fish and wildlife department to know for certain. I like Marmorata better than Asperum anyway I think (not a fan of the red eyes in Asperum), so no skin off my nose if I can't get them here I guess :P
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information