Thread: Missing frog!

Default Missing frog!

I've had 3 firebelly toads in my tank for a few weeks now. My favorite one is much brighter green than the others. It must be a female cause it seems the other toad constantly tries to mate it.
    Now the bright green one is missing! There is no escape from the tank and I have just about ripped apart the tank looking for her. It's only a 10 gallon. What could've happened? Would the other two eat her? They are well fed and don't look any fatter than normal.
    I'm lost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Missing frog!

What you call mating might just be posturing to show social dominance. So don't take that as a sign of the sex of your FBT.

Are you sure it may not have escaped when you opened the viv? My viv is only a 10 gallon tank too.The plants and other stuff in there give them an excellent opportunity to climb on and be "free" from the glass walls. I have one that almost every time I open the lid, he is climbing, jumping and trying every thing he can to escape. Coincidentally he is the lighter green of them too.

Oh I was thinking it was a female! Lol.
    No that one always hangs out on the edge of water.
    I don't know what could've happened

I don't believe it!! The frog appeared!! It's been 4 days!! I don't understand how I couldn't see it when I was lifting all the plants and moss.
    I'm happy its been in there the whole time!![emoji4]

6. This member thanks lbannie for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

That's great to hear. They do like to hide and sometimes won't be seen moving around for several days. I usually am happy if I see mine out and about at least once a week. They are pretty hardy creatures and don't need a lot of fuss like some others do. They don't like attention from their owners. It stresses them..... IMHO.

Nationality
    [United States]

These guys are very excellent escape artists. Always expect that your tank is never secure enough, & always try to improve it. I've had two escape in an enclosure that I thought FOR SURE was escape proof. Also, when they go missing, check the filter (granted, you have one). My female likes to crawl up into the waterfall and go in the area where the filter is. It's closed off well with screen, but they can squeeze themselves through anything! Making sure you have plenty of hiding spots can help avoid this, as they'll feel much more secure in their environment, especially for the females or smaller frogs.

I'm glad you found your girl! [emoji5]️[emoji106]🏼

Thanks! I'm actually in the process of building a bigger tank out of my empty 40 breeder.!![emoji2][emoji2] the tank they're in seems too small.

Here's a question, this tank will have 10-20 gallons of water. Is it possible to have a few neons and guppies in there? With hiding spots. And only my 3 frogs? I was thinking of eliminating my 15 gallon freshwater tank

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have 12 in a 40g. Stream/bog setting fully planted. A behavior that i have noticed, and have not seen anyone anywhere mention is.... They burrow. Yes mine make little tunnels under the soil, right along the water. Its a rather interesting behavior but appropriate for their natural surroundings.

So, your bomber made a hidey hole id presume.

As for mixing species: the fecal and urine mix from fish and frogs will not end well and can cause more health issues than you could fathom. Also, your fishies, would be snacks for the frogs. If it moves, firebellies eat it lmao. Youd need like a tank in a tank to keep the animals and their water 100% seperate.

12!! Wow! That must be noisy! I have my 3 in my bedroom, the big tank is going to be somewhere else! They wake us up at night chirping away!!
    How many crickets do you go through?

12. This member thanks lbannie for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
    12!! Wow! That must be noisy! I have my 3 in my bedroom, the big tank is going to be somewhere else! They wake us up at night chirping away!!
    How many crickets do you go through?

i think they sound like a bunch of monkeys

Lol grand total with all our creatures we buy a box of 1000 a week. $26 from my local guy or $16 if i can catch an expo. The lighting and winter heat requirements get expensive. Looking into solar to power all this madness...

The ol lady and i like our jungle. Its madness here when it rains.

Thread Information