Thread: 55g FBT Vivarium

Default 55g FBT Vivarium

Hi everyone..new to the board so I thought I would share pics of my setup and see what everyone thinks. I added a waterfall today and will be adding another plant into the holder above it. What recommendations do you have for something that will vine down a bit and can be pretty close to the light? I use a Current USA Planted+ LED but I've toned it down so it's not so bright. I turned it up for the picture but it's not normally that bright as I don't think the frogs nor the plants need the full intensity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks ericbrookey for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 55g FBT Vivarium

Looks like they enjoy it! Thanks for sharing!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Looks like they enjoy it! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks LilyPad. I think they are pretty happy. They are vocal, have started shedding and now that I've given them more hides they are finding ways to avoid the dominant male who is a bit aggressive.

I want to add some live moss now. Any suggestions on type and care? The spagnum isn't doing too well and I think I'm just not keeping it wet enough but I'm avoiding over misting as I know the fbts don't need super high humidity.

I'm curious though why they don't use the land portion very much. I find a couple of them over by the plants on rare occasions but they tend to chill out in/near the water or on the flat stone in the middle or up on the rocks of the waterfall. Any ideas why? Maybe when the plants grow they will venture over for additional privacy?

I live in san diego, so temp is steady between 70-78 and humidity never drops below 50. It has gotten above 80f during especially hot days but not often. Could the temp be too high forcing them to need more cooling?

Few more pics just for kicks...

Nationality
    [United States]

I really like your setup and it looks great. To answer your question as to why they do not use the land, FBT prefer a 75% water / 25% land setup. I'd up the water volume in the viv if you can, they will prefer the water areas as you've already noticed.

As far as temperatures, everything I've ever read on these guys states they like it on the cool side, 68-75F. I'm sure healthy ones can survive 80F once in a while but you'll want to cool it down a bit for them in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I really like your setup and it looks great. To answer your question as to why they do not use the land, FBT prefer a 75% water / 25% land setup. I'd up the water volume in the viv if you can, they will prefer the water areas as you've already noticed.

As far as temperatures, everything I've ever read on these guys states they like it on the cool side, 68-75F. I'm sure healthy ones can survive 80F once in a while but you'll want to cool it down a bit for them in the long run.
    Good advice mpmistr thank you. I was thinking along the same lines so I will figure out a way to increase the water %.
    Might try a screen lid to lower temps.

Nationality
    [United States]

I noticed you mentioned the desire for moss, if you keep the humidity high enough you should be able to attach xmas/java moss to your driftwood that is partially submerged. I had good luck with xmas moss in the past, it doesn't grow very fast under water but attached to driftwood that is damp, it grows pretty quickly.

Terrestrial mosses are next to impossible to keep alive.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Though I agree that somewhere around 60 to 75 percent water is better for the typical FBT vivarium, you probably have plenty of water for the current number. So enjoy it for a while. It appears to me you did a good job giving both deep and shallow areas.

I noticed you mentioned the desire for moss, if you keep the humidity high enough you should be able to attach xmas/java moss to your driftwood that is partially submerged. I had good luck with xmas moss in the past, it doesn't grow very fast under water but attached to driftwood that is damp, it grows pretty quickly.

Terrestrial mosses are next to impossible to keep alive.
    Will the fbt be fine with 75% humidity in the long term? I would like to try out some pillow moss to cover their main house but think it needs more moisture than 50% and occasional hand spraying. Also not sure it will attach to the fake stone. Will try out the xmas/java, partial submerged and attached to the wood, great idea. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    Though I agree that somewhere around 60 to 75 percent water is better for the typical FBT vivarium, you probably have plenty of water for the current number. So enjoy it for a while. It appears to me you did a good job giving both deep and shallow areas.
    I think so too but I may want to add 2 more in a couple months and stop with 8. Don't want to overcrowd but I've read they thrive in larger groups. In that case I think I would need to increase the water volume. I think I can bring the pond out more in the front of the tank so they have longer swim routes with a stacked flat rock climb and waterfall coming off the current land area. The ideas are flowing now!

Any ideas on a semi aquatic plant that will do ok planted among the river rocks without any coco substrate? Root base partially submerged...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ericbrookey View Post
    Will the fbt be fine with 75% humidity in the long term? I would like to try out some pillow moss to cover their main house but think it needs more moisture than 50% and occasional hand spraying. Also not sure it will attach to the fake stone. Will try out the xmas/java, partial submerged and attached to the wood, great idea. Thanks!

I don't think humidity will be an issue at all since they'll be in the water most of the time. I would only mist if your terrestrial plants require it.

I don't think humidity will be an issue at all since they'll be in the water most of the time. I would only mist if your terrestrial plants require it.
    Awesome cause with my current glass top it's been staying around 70% with only twice a day hand misting for the plants. I might need to open it up with more screen less glass. I only have about 2 inches along the length of the back with wire screen.

Speaking of the screen, I'm glad I used a strong metal wire mesh. I was amazed the other day when one of them had climbed the entire height of the glass and was looking for a way out, which there wasnt. I know they are excellent escape artists but it seemed such a daunting task to get up that high. I think he wishes he was a tree frog!

Thread Information