Thread: Caging Together..safe?

jaguilar15

Default Caging Together..safe?

Hello.
    I'm really new to this forum stuff, and it has come a long way in helping me answer my questions. That's why i have started so many different threads. My next question is, is it safe to keep two edulis together? Is it safe to keep two or three GROWING giant pixies together? I am going to an expo soon and I am hopefully going to pick up on three or four giant pixies, just so i can be able to get a male and female, than sell the ones i do not want. I have no room, and i have two edulis that i have picked up by accident. So I am trying to make room for the two edulis, and than room for the three or four adspersus. I've seen videos where this guy has four growing pixies sharing one tank. I don't know if that's healthy or not. But here's the link to his video. Let me know what you guys think!

YouTube - B.Y.O.B/Cigaro

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Caging Together..safe?

I know that some members have kept Pyxies together, as long as they are close to the same size. I, myself, have three African Giants, and they all have their own setups. I am just concerned about agression between my two males, and my female is rather petite, so I don't want her mistaken for food or squished accidently. It would be interesting to hear what other Forum members think, though.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've kept same-size females together for a long time with never an issue. That's all I can give an opinion on.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

jaguilar15

Ohh okay thanks, yeah hopefully i can keep a male and female together because i want to exp and see. but do not wanna lose my frog lol. Well i put my edulis together for a little while and fed them crickets together i had no problem but that was only for about ten minutes.

Musicpanda

Btw I would never trust anything seen on youtube, so I'm real glad that you asked here first

jaguilar15

Yes, but i may have to put them together. and hopefully they do not attack each other =[

jelkins

They all appear to be roughly the same size and don't have too much difficulty distinguishing each other from their prey...I wouldn't house that many together if there was a distinct size difference amoungst them.

Pretty impressive video.

jaguilar15

Do you think it would be safe to cage them together, as a baby? like when there the size of a quarter? or should i wait for them to grow up to about 2-5in before i house them together?

Kevin1

Perhaps when you buy more pyxies you should buy setups for each of them. In case things don't work out keeping them together and you find one missing and another twice it's normal size. I'd wait 'till they were 4-5 inches before attempting anything like that.
    They should be allowed to be housed individually, chances of things not working out are higher than chances of succeeding.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

When mine were very young they seemed much more likely to try to eat anything that came close to them. That and the relative mouth to body size of babies meant I would not put them in together. At a dealers here in the UK I once saw a baby one eat a leopard frog that it had been housed with and there was not a great difference in their size.

onedge30

I agree with Kevin. You should have separate setups just in case.

BUT at 3:19 in the video, the camera person has to drop the camera to separate two frogs. I think that says a lot! And the general way they look at each other, just ready to strike at the slightest movement.

I personally, would never put them together. Maybe, try the same size females, like John.

BUT all other times I would separate them. My pixies are to valuable to me to have one eat another.

jmo

Musicpanda

Why in Gods name is there 6 mice with the frogs as everyone already seems to have one inside their mouth? Seems a little cruel to the mice as well I mean can't be fun to watch all your siblings (or whatever) being eaten in front of your eyes...

It became illegal in Sweden to feed with mammals... honestly I think it's stupid as frogs in the wild eat mice as well at least in Sweden it's common. But it was something about the mice being killed without chance of surviving... -__-' weird that my government doesn't care about all the insects... discrimination
    Last edited by Kurt; July 26th, 2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: The plural form of "mouse" is "mice", not "mouses".

jaguilar15

Well i guess i'm going to have to buy more tanks!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Musicpanda View Post
    It became illegal in Sweden to feed with mammals... honestly I think it's stupid as frogs in the wild eat mice as well at least in Sweden it's common. But it was something about the mice being killed without chance of surviving... -__-' weird that my government doesn't care about all the insects... discrimination
    Well there is no beloved cartoon character called "Ricky Roach". However there is a "Mickey Mouse".

Thread Information