Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life cycle of the Clown Tree Frog (Dendropsophus leucophyllatus)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Life cycle of the Clown Tree Frog (Dendropsophus leucophyllatus)

After finally managing to persuade my Clowns to spawn, I thought a photo development thread might be fun

The adults:

Spawn laid on August 1st:

Tadpoles develop over 2-3 days:

Tadpoles free-swimming after 3 days:

At 7 days the clown stripes have developed!

Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

2. 6 members thank Diver for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Life cycle of the Clown Tree Frog (Dendropsophus leucophyllatus)

Such a beautiful species of frog, and the pics of the development of the tads are just amazing. I have also been following your thread on the red eyes and I would like to say thank you for shareing your experience through the photos with us. These threads with the pics should be turned into an article for some kind of nature magazine.

5. 3 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Great thread! You took some fantastic images there. Thank you for sharing!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks guys, hope it will prove of interest, it's my understanding that these don't get bred in captivity too often so with any luck (and all being well!) it might be useful reference.

The tadpoles have doubled in size since hatching, here's some perspective

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

9. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

I agree, I have both Red Eye and Clown. Awesome job [emoji179]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 2 members thank Hyperinchrist for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

awesome. i love the Clowns. Good Luck!!
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

13. This member thanks ColleenT for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Omigosh they are so tiny! How big do adults get to be?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

15. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Omigosh they are so tiny! How big do adults get to be?
    Here's a hefty female next to the same pen

17. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

That is SO neat!!!! I am thinking about clowns as my next species. Seeing this just makes me want them even more!! Congratulations on your success!!

19. This member thanks ShannonC for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    Here's a hefty female next to the same pen

Soo, about the size of my adult female Hyla Cinerea?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yes, they'd be of a similar size although I haven't kept cinerea for a while, from memory they are perhaps a little bigger. Fellow Hylids though, Clowns used to be called Hyla leucophllata.

22. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Fantastic thread, and fantastic breeding job. Congratulations!

I've got 7 clowns, recently acquired, and am getting ready to set up their permanent home soon. All of them are males, unfortunately, so I will need to get hold of some ladies, and find new homes for some of the boys before I can begin thinking of trying to breed them.

Hope you'll post some more pics, especially ones showing the size dif between male and female. You might also think about writing up a care sheet for the species, especially given your success with breeding, and because they're such cool frogs that more people should be keeping.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

At 5 weeks now and the growth rates have been very variable. The largest now have their back legs:

25. This member thanks Diver for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

And the first guy is out!

27. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

What a cute little bugger, and good job. It must feel so good to have success and be able to watch these little guys morph into frogs in person.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry to double post, Diver are the clowns and Redeyes that you bred in your other thread your first attempt at breeding?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hi Cory, thanks for your kind words on the thread No, I've been keeping reptiles and amphibians since 1978 so have bred a few in that time, however this is the first time that I have bred the Clown Tree Frog. Central and South American tree frogs are where my interests lie these days and I have captive breeding projects on the go for all of the species in my signature. I hope that more captive breeding = less demand for individuals taken from the wild.

31. This member thanks Diver for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Aww, cute! The second picture looks like he is made out of cookies and crème ice cream!

33. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

At nearly 3 weeks out of the water:

35. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't know what colour I like more, this nice greyish colour or the orange. Both ways they are very nice looking frogs. Do any ever stay this grey colour or do they all always turn the orange/red colour?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information