Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

Default Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

Well the guy got back to me but didn't say much other than "it can't be chytrid because chytrid can't survive past 75F". Which I did also read so I may agree with that considering I've been keeping the temp closer to 80F for it.

But anyways, I get the feeling the frog will be okay. There is no more yucky, chunky shedding. And the throat heals more every day, proving to me that it was just an injury. Especially considering that is the only spot there was a mark.

I've been giving "her" uniodized salt baths, a very slight amount of salt, once a day. My friend has a degree in biology and recommended doing this. She said that pedialyte won't help with bacterial/fungal infections and that it's more for internal disturbances rather than external. She said that bacterial/fungal infections can't survive in salt, even if uniodized. She said that it has to be only a little amount of salt because if too much is used, it can hurt the frog. She says to use only a pinch, which I've been doing.

Last night I saw her crawling around, wide-eyed, looking healthy and alert. I really think she may end up being okay.

She's still not eating but she is at least not looking starved since I had hand-fed her a few times when I first got her, so that should hold her over for now. I think it'd help too if she became hungry because it'll push her into eating.

Oh! And she pooped again, and looks MUCH better now. It's more solid and not green now, looks more like Frenchy and Newbie's now. They continue to do very well by the way! Frenchy continues to chuckle at Newbie almost every night.

2. This member thanks MantidBro for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

That's great to hear! I hope she continues to be great for you!

5. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just to clear things up, the pedialyte suggestion was not to "cure" the frog. The pedialyte was for the obvious dehydration that your frog was experiencing. I know little about chytrid treatment other than it is extremely contagious, and your frog exhibited fairly clear symptoms. I suggested a vet because it really is important to notify the facility that you got her from that their stock was exposed. Did you "hand feed" her or "force feed" her? That may have been the throat trauma.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MantidBro View Post
    Well the guy got back to me but didn't say much other than "it can't be chytrid because chytrid can't survive past 75F". Which I did also read so I may agree with that considering I've been keeping the temp closer to 80F for it.
    Using temps to cure chytrid isn't 100%
    http://www.conservationevidence.com/actions/770

I haven't seen anyone stating that salt baths can cure chytrid (or that they are that safe for frogs)...I doubt that this amount of salt does anything to kill bacteria or fungus....higher amounts of salt in a bath willl actually dehydrate the frog as it won't be isotonic.

Pedialyte bath is a better choice in a pinch as it will help with dehydration.

More specific to frogs, Frog's N Things sells amphibian ringer's that is a good for rehydrating frogs....they also sell calcium gluconate that is good to replenish calcium and glucose. They sell a frog first aid kit that is good to have around for emergencies that has several items (including these) in it.
    http://www.frogsnthings.com/storefro...og/health.html

As mentioned earlier, itraconazole baths or lamisil (terbinafine) baths are more accepted treatments for chytrid.
    That being said, the only way to really tell if your heat treatment was successful is to test for chytrid afterwards.

Also remember that the frogs can get reinfected by items that weren't treated / sterilized as well.

As these were WC and from a suspect vendor, definitely have the fecals done and swab for Chytrid and Rana....it will save you from alot of problems with this frog and the other frogs.

Glad to hear that the frog is doing better now.

9. 2 members thank Tzunu un for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    That's great to hear! I hope she continues to be great for you!
    Thanks! "She" is indeed seeming much better. Still no yucky shedding and her injury continues to heal. The only issue now is that she hasn't eaten yet. But I'm sure it will be soon. I doubt she would actually starve herself to death when there are crickets available.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Just to clear things up, the pedialyte suggestion was not to "cure" the frog. The pedialyte was for the obvious dehydration that your frog was experiencing. I know little about chytrid treatment other than it is extremely contagious, and your frog exhibited fairly clear symptoms. I suggested a vet because it really is important to notify the facility that you got her from that their stock was exposed. Did you "hand feed" her or "force feed" her? That may have been the throat trauma.
    Oooh, I thought the pedialyte was for healing the chytrid, my bad. I'm sure it did help because I was using it before doing the salt baths. I hate to sound like a bad owner, but I honestly can't afford a trip to the vet right now. But I will let the owner who has these frogs know. Is there any way to contact someone and let them know?

Yes sadly I forced fed her because she was emaciated. But you may be completely right... I feel bad, poor thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzunu un View Post
    Using temps to cure chytrid isn't 100%
    http://www.conservationevidence.com/actions/770

I haven't seen anyone stating that salt baths can cure chytrid (or that they are that safe for frogs)...I doubt that this amount of salt does anything to kill bacteria or fungus....higher amounts of salt in a bath willl actually dehydrate the frog as it won't be isotonic.

Pedialyte bath is a better choice in a pinch as it will help with dehydration.

More specific to frogs, Frog's N Things sells amphibian ringer's that is a good for rehydrating frogs....they also sell calcium gluconate that is good to replenish calcium and glucose. They sell a frog first aid kit that is good to have around for emergencies that has several items (including these) in it.
    http://www.frogsnthings.com/storefro...og/health.html

As mentioned earlier, itraconazole baths or lamisil (terbinafine) baths are more accepted treatments for chytrid.
    That being said, the only way to really tell if your heat treatment was successful is to test for chytrid afterwards.

Also remember that the frogs can get reinfected by items that weren't treated / sterilized as well.

As these were WC and from a suspect vendor, definitely have the fecals done and swab for Chytrid and Rana....it will save you from alot of problems with this frog and the other frogs.

Glad to hear that the frog is doing better now.
    Oh really?

I don't think the frog is dehydrated at this point, I mist heavily and she's got a water bowl and all that good stuff. She very well may have previously though. I honestly think the salt, as well as the pedialyte, helped. She is doing much better. She's not as lazy, she is wide-eyed and alert, she no longer has that gross shedding, her throat is healing, and her poop looked normal the last time she did have a movement. She looks like a beautiful, healthy frog aside from the injury on her throat. I no longer do either baths, the salt or pedialyte, because she's been seeming well. It's been 3-4 days since her last salt/pedialyte bath.

I've been boiling everything every night.

I will get that done when I can, I'm honestly not entirely well off financially. It's not good of me, I know... I shouldn't even have pets if I can't do what's necessary. I just wasn't expecting to get a sick frog, so wasn't prepared I guess. From now on I'll keep some cash on the side in case something like this happens.

I'm glad too, it's great, I was seriously worried, it's a load off. Can't wait til the little one is finally eating!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I'm doing everything for HL I can, but I don't have good feelings about his condition at all He was acting all hyper and weird and not eating (now he's listless and not eating after the meds) for a while before we got Pole Bean and Butter Bean, so I know it's not related, but the temps are starting to moderate here so I'm going to be testing here pretty quick. Have you tested your girl yet? How's she doing?

Incidentally, who did you purchase her from? I want to add them to my "caveat emptor" list... O_o
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Thanks, I'm doing everything for HL I can, but I don't have good feelings about his condition at all He was acting all hyper and weird and not eating (now he's listless and not eating after the meds) for a while before we got Pole Bean and Butter Bean, so I know it's not related, but the temps are starting to moderate here so I'm going to be testing here pretty quick. Have you tested your girl yet? How's she doing?

Incidentally, who did you purchase her from? I want to add them to my "caveat emptor" list... O_o
    Aw im sorry, i really hope his condition will turn around for you and that he will be okay!! What are you going to test for? No i havent tested her yet, i need to save for it, but shes doing great. She finally ate last night!!

I got her from snakesatsunset

Thumbs up Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

good news, the little one ate last night! I had two dusted crickets in her container. I kept nothing else in there except her water bowl. Then i woke up today and noticed one of the crickets is no where to be found! and theres no way it could have gotten out, what with the slippery sides of the container and with the lid being shut and a pillow case draped over it. She DOES look fatter today so id say she has to have eaten it! i think she can finally be named now. Im thinking her name should be LUCKY!

16. This member thanks MantidBro for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

Nice! Be careful about naming her lucky, my old male green anole friend might get jealous, XD

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Umm, it messed up. Let me try that again

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

(There we go)

Hi. Glad to see that your new froggie is doing better.

as far as the possibility of chytrid, I'm pretty much to the point of simply assuming it in WC or exposed to WC frogs, and treating as a matter of routine. You can use the Lamisil spray technique, which is super cheap, and doesn't require a vet. I'm currently doing this with my WC Clown tree frogs, and it seems to be working out well. After a few treatments, their colors become much more vivid and their appetites seem to improve. This suggests a subclinical infection, despite appearing generally healthy. They tested negative when I first got them, but false negatives are not uncommon.

i would not try the elevated temps for treating Chytrid, as the lowest effective temps are in the upper 80s, and would likely put too much stress on an already stressed animal. Temps in the upper 70s to lower 80s might be a good idea though, as it shouldn't stress the frog, and should keep the Chytrid in check (if it's there).

Another consideration with WCs is that they just about always have parasites. I believe that Dr. Frye does low cost fecals, and most issues can be treated with Panacur. I would do that as soon as you get some money together.

Thanks for the heads up on Snakesatsunset. You might want to write up a review in the feedback section.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

21. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nice! Be careful about naming her lucky, my old male green anole friend might get jealous, XD
    LOL your fella is named Lucky too?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    Hi. Glad to see that your new froggie is doing better.

as far as the possibility of chytrid, I'm pretty much to the point of simply assuming it in WC or exposed to WC frogs, and treating as a matter of routine. You can use the Lamisil spray technique, which is super cheap, and doesn't require a vet. I'm currently doing this with my WC Clown tree frogs, and it seems to be working out well. After a few treatments, their colors become much more vivid and their appetites seem to improve. This suggests a subclinical infection, despite appearing generally healthy. They tested negative when I first got them, but false negatives are not uncommon.

i would not try the elevated temps for treating Chytrid, as the lowest effective temps are in the upper 80s, and would likely put too much stress on an already stressed animal. Temps in the upper 70s to lower 80s might be a good idea though, as it shouldn't stress the frog, and should keep the Chytrid in check (if it's there).

Another consideration with WCs is that they just about always have parasites. I believe that Dr. Frye does low cost fecals, and most issues can be treated with Panacur. I would do that as soon as you get some money together.

Thanks for the heads up on Snakesatsunset. You might want to write up a review in the feedback section.
    Oh yeah i only ever went up to 80 F.

Yeah i should huh? i will

Talking Re: New Red-Eyed Tree Frog's condition. Question.

I am happy to say that Lucky is doing fantastic! Totally regular Red-Eye now. Eating every night, poops look regular, no yucky shedding, and the injury is practically gone now. Looking lively and alert. When I went to take her out for cleaning, she became frantic, which I consider to be a good sign. She has energy, and does not want to be captured! she used to be quite lethargic.

I wanted to thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it!!!

25. 2 members thank MantidBro for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great to hear!

27. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Great to hear!

yeah im happy!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great news!! I am happy she's pulling through for you. I would have been curious what the chytrid test would have come back as so we could see if the heat therapy was working or if she was recovering from something else. Very exciting!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

30. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information