Thread: Food for baby red eyes?

Default Food for baby red eyes?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend the best live food to feed baby red eyed tree frogs? I am currently feeding my guys small crickets but they keep digging into the substrate so not sure how easily they are finding them.

Also wanted to ask what substrate you use for your red eyes?

Thanks, Hannah

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Food for baby red eyes?

You can put a tall dish so the crickets can't get out and the frogs can climb out

4. 2 members thank Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello Hannah,

I don't have red eyes, but maybe I can help with the feeding problem

Small crickets, small dubias, earthworms cut up into small pieces or even hydei fruit flies for the super tiny babies can all work.

For the crickets, bowl feeding is usually a good strategy. Get a glass or smooth plastic bowl that the crickets can't escape from and the frogs wont knock over and leave the crickets inside. You'll also be able to see how much your frogs are eating.

You can also try feeding with rounded tip forceps. Red eyes won't always be willing to eat from them though.

Lastly, you can feed them in a separate, bare tank so they cant hide from your frogs or burrow.

As for the substrate, if you have live plants growing in it, the substrate should be properly layered using ABG mix or something similar. If there are no live plants, coco fiber will suffice. Some people use reptile carpet or paper towels which are easier to clean and will also help your feeding situation. Keep in mind that you'll probably have to mist more often.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

6. 4 members thank Frogman1031 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Crickets are a great, (perhaps the best) feeder when dusted with calcium and gut-loaded. Locusts are also excellent and provide lots of protein. How large are your Red Eyes and what what substrate are you currently using? Crickets might hide during the day, but they will come out at night when the frogs also do. Locusts tend to be in full view all the time.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    Crickets are a great, (perhaps the best) feeder when dusted with calcium and gut-loaded. Locusts are also excellent and provide lots of protein. How large are your Red Eyes and what what substrate are you currently using? Crickets might hide during the day, but they will come out at night when the frogs also do. Locusts tend to be in full view all the time.
    What do u gut load your cricket
    with?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I use ProRep Bug Grub as a dry staple with organic kale and carrot as a 'wet' food. No further moisture is required (reducing the chance of mould growth in the cricket containers) and the kale in particular is an excellent natural source of calcium. Using organic means no pesticides or other nasty chemicals of course.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

10. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Thanks for the advice guys!

This is the size of the little guys, they are still very dinky!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

12. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Thread Information