Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloated ADF

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Bloated ADF

That could definitely be a contributing factor. You should do a daily or twice daily water change if the tank isn't cycled. I you don't already have a test kit, then you should buy one ASAP. Check for ammonia and nitrites in the morning and at night. Since frogs have permeable skin, toxins in the water affect them quickly.

But if the other frog isn't showing signs of stress, then I would guess that there were other factors involved as well. Having a tank that isn't cycled probably stressed her enough that some pathogen took advantage of her lowered immune system.

Prime will bind ammonia, but only to a point. And frogs are notoriously messy eaters which causes ammonia to build up quickly.

2. This member thanks celticstarb for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks! I will definitely be doing daily 50% water changes now. Also I have a liquid Ammonia test, but I will get the test kit for everything else soon. Although, I do have a lot of trouble reading the tests because I am red/green colorblind, and cannot differentiate between the colors.

Nationality
    [United States]

A friend of mine had the same issue with the test kits. He showed me how he reads the tests. Instead of placing the testing vial next to the colors on the chart, he places it directly over the color chart. When he looks through the vial, the color box closest to the color of the test will "disappear." It's not entirely accurate, but gives him a ballpark figure +/- 1ppm. If this doesn't work for you, send me a PM and I'll try to help out if I can.

Also, just a head's up, doing necessary daily water changes will slow down the cycle. So it may take several weeks more to fully cycle your tank. You will also want to test your tap water for ammonia and nitrites about once a week to make sure your tap water isn't adding any toxins.

Nationality
    [United States]

One more idea that will help a bit. If your local fish store sells plants, try to find some floating plants such as duckweed or frogbit. You can also float some water wisteria. These plants will help filter the tank.

7. This member thanks celticstarb for this post:

Thanks a lot, I will try that trick for the test kit, and I have water wisteria in my tank now. Will plants help filter the tank faster?

And also, what is the expected set-up for a quarantine tank? I am in college, so I don't think i will be able to get much more than 1 or 2 gallons.

yes, plants do help to cycle a tank, they filter your water by taking the waste in your tank as a nutriment, they kind of eat ammonia and nitrites to produce nitrates at the end(with the help of good bacterias) (nitrates are good when they are not too high), but the cycle can take a while so your test quit will be your best friend while cycling your tank. For a quarantine tank, a two gallons will be good, with a small filter, I had two adfs in quarantine, in a 1.5 gallons for a few months, I had to put a sponge on thefilter outlet because the waterflow was too strong

Nationality
    [United States]

Make sure to only use decorations that can be bleached and sterilized. Also keep the QT bare bottomed. I use 2 inch terra cotta pots to give them hiding places when in QT.
    Personally, I use sponge filters in my QT, but any filter you can easily sterilize with bleach or by boiling will work. If you use bleach, rinse everything in tap water then soak in water with double chlorine remover. Set everything aside until it's completely dry. If you have live plants in your QT you can sterilize them with a 1:5 bleach solution for up to 3 minutes. At the 3 minute mark, rinse well with tap water and soak in water with chlorine remover. But, be cautious as some plants melt in bleach; so, some there might be some trial and error.

After your frogs are finished with their quarantine, break down the QT and sterilize everything. Then, if you need to use it again at a later date, sterilize everything immediately before setting it up again.

Do daily water changes in the QT while in use. I know some people keep a cycled QT, but I worry about contamination. Also, it is good practice to prepare your water the night before your water changes. Add an airstone to the water and let set overnight. Check the temp and pH to make sure they match before adding it to the tank to prevent shock. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it's only temporary and will be over before you know it.

I agree with MadameGrenouille that a 1-2 gallon aquarium will be fine. I wouldn't go less than 1 gallon so your frogs won't get too stressed.

Thanks. and would it be completely necessary to get a filter for the QT tank, with daily water changes?

Maybe not with some daily water change, depending if you have 1 or 2 fogs in quarantine and how much you feed them.From my experience, I would add some filtration. I had two and water was not clear even after water change, that is why I got a filter, Elite filter for betta tank, a bit strong, that is why I put a sponge on the outlet, you should follow celtictarb's suggestion and get a sponge filter,they are more adequate for adf's

So I got 2 new frogs today and currently they are in a small critter container that is about 3 gallons. I don't have a filter, but I will be doing daily water changes. So, should I be doing 50% or full water changes daily? Also, I tested my water in my 5.5 gallon tank that I have been doing daily 50% water changes with and it had about 3.0 ppm nitrites, almost zero ammonia, and no nitrates. I then did a 50% water change. Do you guys think nitrates will appear soon?

Nationality
    [United States]

For your QT, you should do at least 50% a day, but may have to do more depending on how much you are feeding. Testing is the only way to be sure.

As far as your display tank goes, it is progressing as it should. Hold off on water changes until you see nitrates (hopefully in a week or two). Since there are no frogs in your tank, you will need to "feed" the bacteria. I use Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride, but others just throw in a pinch of fish food and wait for it to break down. Personally, I am not a fan of the fish food method.

I consider my tanks cycled when it can convert 2ppm ammonia down to nitrates within a 12 hour period.

16. This member thanks celticstarb for this post:

Thanks so much!. But also in my 5.5 gallon tank there is currently one frog by itself that I feed every other day. So should I do 50% changes every other day?

Also, my "grand scheme" is to house my frogs in with a betta (who is very mild mannered). When I introduce to qt frongs and eventually the betta, I plan to use seachem stability. And I plan to be prepared for diligent water changes. If this is completely crazy then I will have to try to find something a bit larger, but maybe less than 10 gallons. ( I am in college)

Nationality
    [United States]

The 3 frogs and a betta would be about the max bioload I would have in a 5.5 gallon tank. Diligent water changes and some low light plants, such as anubias, should keep everything in order.

Sorry, I forgot you had a frog already in the tank. So please ignore my earlier post about not doing the water changes. He will add ammonia for the bacteria to thrive. Just try to keep the nitrites down so he'll be ok. Test daily and do a partial water change to keep it at 1ppm or less. This will lengthen your cycle time, but necessary for your frogs comfort and health. They can take low levels of nitrites for short periods of time, but over the course of several days it may have harmful effects.

If you would like to keep a Betta with your 3 frogs, I would get a 10 gallons, you never know, your betta can be nippy or as frogs do not have good eyesight they might nipped at the betta's tail thinking it's food, I would either get a 10 gallons for everybody or keep the 5.5 for the frogs and the 3 gallons for the Betta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information