Thread: Vet visits?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Vet visits?

Hello, I just have a few questions on a possible vet visit for my wild frogs and toads. Currently they all appear healthy and are well kept but I have seen some posts on here that I may have misunderstood, it appeared to me that they would have issues down the road like over the winter etc, and I was just curious to know what I should do. A fecal test isn't very expensive so I could have that done but, I have a problem finding poop with the new tank and imo low motabolism. I just want to stop any issues before they suddenly happen. They get calcium D3 and get fed Crickets, Earthworms, & Waxworms mainly together. As stated before there are no problems and I want to just make sure there are no sudden causes of death. Lastly I was wondering about the use of multivitamins, what all they do? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Vet visits?

I replied earlier but the forum ate it.

Anyway, it might be a good idea to go ahead and search for a place that will take frogs, even if you don't plan to get them tested. That way you'll be ready for an emergency. Parasites do have a way of overgrowing in captivity for some reason.

A multivitamin should generally help with health. Deficiences of vitamin A in particular can cause "short tongue syndrome" and make it harder for the frog to get food. But too much A can be toxic, so follow the instructions on the bottle. Space out your dosages and don't give on the same day as you give calcium. (Unless you have a multivitamin that already has calcium and D and says it can be given daily.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have someone who may be of assistance

mailto:dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com

6. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I didn't get any of these notifications. Thank you guys, I purchased a multivitamin and put it on the strawberries and bananas for the crickets to eat. I will check the link out also. There is a place in town that sees reptiles and amphibians so I have that in my back pocket. It's not that I won't get them tested, i would if I saw an immediate problem. Or declining behavior. I think the toads can fight parasites well because the one toad when she started to decline in health dug down and remained dormant for weeks, then came up and was as active as before. I'm not going to be stingy and rely on hope in my animals. Thank you guys for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Thread Information