Thread: Green Spot/Bacterial Infection From Cricket Bite..?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Green Spot/Bacterial Infection From Cricket Bite..?

Well, about three days ago I noticed Shirley didn't want to eat, HIGHLY unusual for the voracious fat frog, so I pulled her out to check her... She has one of those dreaded lime green spots, a small one, on the back of her head near her neck area, and on the top of her eye on the same side there's a black mark that looks like it could be a cricket bite. That area itself is not red or inflamed, and I see no wounds or abrasions near the single green dot. Could she have contracted a bacterial infection from a cricket bite? I don't know how the green dot would be related, but since these both seem to have shown up at the same exact time I have my suspicions.

Shirley also was listless, I tried to feed her a cricket and she wouldn't take it. Yesterday (or day before, I lose track of time in summer!) I noticed Shirley had done a HUGE poo, so was wondering if that could have been the reason she was listless and not wanting to eat. I also found a darn hair wrapped around her middle and removed that. She did eat one cricket after the poo, but that was all I offered her, as I planned on feeding last night, but last night she did not come out of the square glass (see through) "hide" I have in there for her and Martha (I know I need to move Martha into a different tank with this going on, so will need to pick up another) and she's still in there now (just turned off the lights) so I'm pretty concerned right now.

I have some Melafix here so was wondering if I should give her a soak with that and honey in the water? Exactly how much Melafix should be used? I know I've seen threads about Melafix in the past, but they weren't very clear as to amount and how long to soak the frog.

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Green Spot/Bacterial Infection From Cricket Bite..?

Update: Just took her out of the hide and she seemed to resent being woken up and was more active, so I set her on the PVC hide and handed her a cricket. She snapped it right up, including the end of my finger! I put three others in her food bowl and she dived right in, so that's good! Really strange thing is that green spot has migrated! :O It is now on the opposite side of her neck from where it was, and it is smaller and not as round, more oval-ish. Also I couldn't really see the cricket bite anymore (though I didn't have my glasses on, I'm far sighted and need readers). Wondering now if I should use the Melafix after all or just continue to observe her...?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

No one...?

Guess it doesn't matter now though... when the cricket bite healed up the green spot disappeared, so guess it was a reaction to that... *shrug*.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Lisa. Just happened to pop in since I can't sleep.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

6. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Green Spot/Bacterial Infection From Cricket Bite..?

It could be a bite. Odd place for an injury and less she jumped up and hit something pinpoint like?

The "green spot"! Ugh! It reminds my of the black spot on Jack of the Pirates of the Caribbean.

The light green spots can, of course, be a number of things. Over the years, dealing with stressed and sick frogs, I've noticed two things, first, that they often start showing up with stress or illness. In retf' you can see a light green spot right on the top of their heads between their eyes when they stress. Several spots are generally indicative of a bacterial infection.

I would apply original neosporin to the black spot and the green spot. Hold off on the other treatments just yet. Do not use the kind with pain reliever, it's toxic to frogs. Use a Qtip and just gently swirl it onto the areas.

How was her energy today? Is she moving around?
    Last edited by Heatheranne; July 19th, 2015 at 11:44 PM. Reason: updated
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

8. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It seems like she may be getting better? Def keep an eye on those spots and her appetite. Maybe hold off on the Melafix unless she stops eating again.

10. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

She seems totally back to normal now, thankfully! No bite mark, no spot, eating, bathing and everything as per usual. It was just strange! So I guess the green spots can show up as stress reactions apparently? She only had one, and it was weird how it "moved". I'm glad she got better on her own and I didn't have to use the Melafix, after hearing mixed reviews on how it effected frogs and not knowing exactly how much to use and for how long. :/

Thanks guys! <3
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information