Thread: seriously injured toad

Member needs to set country!

Exclamation seriously injured toad

I found a seriously injured American toad on my porch, he looks like he's missing a good chunk of his jaw and his tongue is hanging out. I don't know what to do. I have him in a spare tank but besides that I have no idea what to do. Please please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: seriously injured toad

First off, put Neosporin WITHOUT PAINKILLER on the wound. Painkiller is toxic for frogs. I would recommend putting some paper towels, a hide, a shallow soaking dish, and some small, easy to grab and eat food for him. Other that that I do not know, I hope someone else can get back to you

Member needs to set country!

Thanl you so much. I have some small(2 week) crickets for my anole, would that be okay for him to eat?

Nationality
    [Canada]

By the way you described the wound it doesn't sound like he is going to be able eat, sounds pretty bad if half his jaw is missing. Can you post a picture? you would have to post it to photobucket or a similar site. IMO if its as bad as it sounds you have 2 options, 1. put him back and let nature takes it course 2. Put it down yourself. I don't mean to sound harsh because that's not what im trying to do but if it is as bad as you say I believe he will pass and the longer you try to keep him alive it may just be more suffering for him. Again this is just my opinion.

6. 2 members thank monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Cory. If the injuries are severe enough to inhibit him from eating he will need to be euthanized. I have a weakness for injured animals so if it were me I would put him down instead of letting him go but that's just me. I don't like to see suffering.

8. This member thanks Sunshine for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    By the way you described the wound it doesn't sound like he is going to be able eat, sounds pretty bad if half his jaw is missing. Can you post a picture? you would have to post it to photobucket or a similar site. IMO if its as bad as it sounds you have 2 options, 1. put him back and let nature takes it course 2. Put it down yourself. I don't mean to sound harsh because that's not what im trying to do but if it is as bad as you say I believe he will pass and the longer you try to keep him alive it may just be more suffering for him. Again this is just my opinion.
    I have to say that from the sound of it letting him go is NOT an acceptable option. If he needs euthanasia, that should be carried out - if possible getting him assessed by an experienced veterinary surgeon would be best, as he/she can assess whether the toad is likely to make it with appropriate nursing or not, and can administer appropriate treatments or if necessary can give humane euthanasia. A picture might help to say yes definitely needs euthanasia but a physical examination by an experienced vet would be best.

A minor point perhaps, but just to add that in the UK, letting such an animal go could theoretically be considered cruel abandonment (since you have technically taken it into captivity) and as such illegal.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you Herpvet, never thought of the cruel abondment.

Thread Information