Thread: Grey Tree Frogs need company ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Grey Tree Frogs need company ?

just wanted to know if there are any ground dwellers that can be housed with grey tree frogs. my tank is a 36" high and obviously the greys spend mostly all their time up high just curious to know if i can put anything else in there. thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Grey Tree Frogs need company ?

Different species should not be housed together. They can be toxic to each other, some will be more aggressive, have different care requirements etc.

4. 3 members thank Sunshine for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

i know that much about keeping frogs together i was just wondering if anyone has ever kept i small reptile or something similar in their enclosure with grey's.

6. This member thanks juarezjohn22 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

This comes up every once in a while, and the answer is complicated. It is technically possible to do, but generally considered a very bad idea. In the wild animals are in a constant struggle for territory, and food, and I suspect that in captivity, they will experience the same urges. With that said, provided enough space, it is conceivable that they can cut out enough territory to be satisfied, they do this in zoos regularly... But you are not a zoo, in all likelihood. I wouldn't subject my animals to a territorial war, they have enough trouble acclimating to me, and my cage cleanings, without learning to get along with a species that isn't concerned in the slightest for their well being. My advice, don't try it... Get a second tank, or another gray tree frog.
    2 White's Tree frogs, Merrill and Morgan.
    1 Brachypelma Vagans (no name yet)
    1 Brachypelma Smithi (no name yet)
    1 Psalmopoeus Irminia (no name yet)
    1 Poecilotheria Metallica (no name yet)
    1 Avicularia Versicolor (no name yet)
    1 Grammastola Pultripes (no name yet)
    1 Grammastola Pulchra (no name yet)
    1x10^3 B Dubia
    1x10^3 B Lateralis
    1x10^3 native isopods, in a surprising variety of color morphs.
    Assorted plants...

8. 3 members thank teslas intern for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Different species should not be housed together. They can be toxic to each other, some will be more aggressive, have different care requirements etc.
    applies to all reptiles/amphibians, not just different types of frogs. NOT a good idea.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

10. 3 members thank ColleenT for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
    applies to all reptiles/amphibians, not just different types of frogs. NOT a good idea.
    Actually, I think that it applies to more than reptiles and amphibians. Any animals that are not the same species should not be housed together. Different types of fish, like Neon tetras and Tiger barbs for example are very bad species to mix, as are lovebirds and various other common birds. Heck, even two different species of hamster can not be housed together! So when anybody asks me to mix any living thing, I just say no

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well with fish it's obviously not smart to mix peaceful community dwellers with fish that are aggressive. Certain birds can be kept in a mixed aviary, however, if, like the fish, they are matched accordingly in temperament, housing and feeding needs, etc. With hamsters some are community dwellers (certain dwarf breeds) while others, like the standard Golden variety, are solitary. I would never mix different rodent species together (gerbils and hamsters or mice and rats, etc). It all depends on the animals in question, but herps carry so many parasites, and have such differing needs that, unless you are in a zoo environment there is no good reason or ability to keep them successfully in a mixed group, in my opinion.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

13. 2 members thank irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Grey Tree Frogs need company ?

I think it's possible for a pond snail or if you have a half water setup maybe some Fathead Minnows. But you would have to clean a lot. Fish poop a lot. Possibly a North American Millipede if it's large enough and if you have the water raised to the point to where it couldn't get in than it should work. Possibly a bunch of Woodlice. If you use a frog or toad the frogs would most likely get eaten. If you use a lizard it probably would get poisoned. Grey Tree Frogs are very toxic. So there isn't much to really encourage. I hear of Green Tree Frogs sharing the enclosure. But they have different requirements. If you are gong to do it any way, I wish you good luck. I am not against mixing species because I have a mixed tank of Eastern American Toads and Northern Leopard Frogs. It's at my own risk. They occupy different niches in a 75 Gallon Aquarium. You must research before you go off of what anybody says anywhere because you are the one who is keeping them. Research and experience with other species is key. So things that would not be able to live in a similar environment don't get put in that position. IMO. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The short of it is no, for the reasons others have already listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I think it's possible for a pond snail or if you have a half water setup maybe some Fathead Minnows. But you would have to clean a lot. Fish poop a lot. Possibly a North American Millipede if it's large enough and if you have the water raised to the point to where it couldn't get in than it should work. Possibly a bunch of Woodlice. If you use a frog or toad the frogs would most likely get eaten. If you use a lizard it probably would get poisoned. Grey Tree Frogs are very toxic. So there isn't much to really encourage. I hear of Green Tree Frogs sharing the enclosure. But they have different requirements. If you are gong to do it any way, I wish you good luck. I am not against mixing species because I have a mixed tank of Eastern American Toads and Northern Leopard Frogs. It's at my own risk. They occupy different niches in a 75 Gallon Aquarium. You must research before you go off of what anybody says anywhere because you are the one who is keeping them. Research and experience with other species is key. So things that would not be able to live in a similar environment don't get put in that position. IMO. Good luck

Just wanted to clarify this comment, it's not at your own risk, it's at the frogs' risk.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

16. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    The short of it is no, for the reasons others have already listed.

Just wanted to clarify this comment, it's not at your own risk, it's at the frogs' risk.
    I thought it would be better to give him ideas since he asked. When I posted it's at my risk, it is because it's my decision to do it and my responsibility to care for them. They can't do it themselves. I risk losing them among other things if I don't provide adequate care. And I always will. For all of them.

Thread Information