Thread: Poe's front legs!!

Jace

Default Poe's front legs!!

My American Bullfrog tadpole is getting to be more frog than tadpole, now. I noticed tonight when I got home from work that his front legs have emerged. However, one does not look as developed as the other, but because he would not stop moving, I couldn't get a decent pic. However, his left front leg looks great. Hope everyone enjoys the pics and I will take some more tomorrow!

Oh, and I lowered the water level and stole a turtle dock from the Fire-Belly toad tank so he could have a platform to get out of the water if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Poe's front legs!!

Jace, Its not unusually for the arms/front legs to pop out at different times. Is the arm your concerned about completely out?

Jace

Yes, it is. I didn't even notice it at first. It seems a bit shorter and not as thick. It was also positioned more under the body. However, once he knew he was being admired, he would not stop moving long enough to get a decent shot. I'm hoping its because it popped out second and hasn't matched the other one yet.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Is he moving the arm and fingers? I think a front on photo would be good. Im a little concerned that one arm is thinner.

Jace

It could be just me. I am a worry wart when it comes to Poe. Two of the above pictures (the right front leg) are the best shots I could get thus far. I will try to get some more shots tomorrow. He is moving both limbs and spreading out the toes on both sides.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I agree with Ebony - a front on shot would be most helpful. I'm really surprised with how fast this frog developed.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

This looks normal to me Jo. Many of my tads pop one front leg out long before the other, I wouldn't worry too much yet.
    @ John, I messed with Bullfrog tads a long time ago and when the water temp is raised above 70F they morph quite quickly, only a few months. This is what we had Jo do.

tyjare

Congrats

Jace

Poe's water did get warm there for a few days. Where I live, we had a sudden heat wave, and where he was set up in the living room, there was poor air conditioning and his ten gallon tank heated up. I immediately moved him to the kitchen which was 15 degrees cooler and his water is frigid by comparison. Howerver, within a week, his front legs are in.

I will try and get a front shot-he is being rather difficult and my camera is not the best for focusing in water. I had a good look at him this morning in natural light (as apposed to a flashlight) and both legs look more even than I originally though. However, I will try and take a few more head on pics and post them and get some opinions.

How long until his tail is absorbed (rough estimate)?

Jace

Poe has not co-operated with a frontal shot, however, I did have a chance to get a good look at him and observe him and I think he is going to be fine. Both legs look even and the same thickness. He is using the front and back legs to sit in such a way that his belly is no long on the bottom of the tank. When he swims, he is using all four legs to manuever and steer, and when he come to his platfrom, his front legs are holding him up.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

That's good to hear Jace. You had done a good job raising him and I know its been a stressful process. But its so worth it. Now you will wreak the benefits from raising your Poe from a tadpole. Im so excited for you.

Jace

Thank you Ebony. I am very excited and hoping that he continues his morph sooner rather than later so I can get his new home setup. I have also taken in two more tadpoles that I were hoping were NOT bullfrogs, but John confirmed they are. They already have back legs though they are no where near as large as Poe. Not sure if I should keep them or not. When I do a water change on Poe tomorrow I will get some pics and post them.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

I saw that post. I thought, Ha ha, your hooked on raising tadpoles.

I know you would like to keep another frog species. You could see if a friend would like them and that way you will be able to help raise them now that your experienced and also know they will be OK.

Jace

I kind of want to keep them, but don't know if I should.....decisions decisions.

Thread Information