Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gray isn't eating and his underside looks pinkish

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray isn't eating and his underside looks pinkish

just get him some crickets. Poor guy probably has parasites. I doubt garlic will do anything except upset him.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

2. This member thanks ColleenT for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well, actually garlic does have anti- parasite properties... Not that it worked to make him eat. I didn't expect it to, since frogs have a very weak sense of smell. Although I did test some boiled garlic dunked roaches out on my other frogs and salamanders and it definitely had an effect after they tasted one...
    I don't think getting him crickets would do anything. He doesn't show any apparent interest in moths.
    what are the other typical symptoms of parasites, besides not eating? (Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since that's not really in the parasite's best interests...)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I was just observing him with a red flashlight and I saw him turn his head to watch a moth crawl past. He didn't eat it but that at least shows that some tiny rudiment of his hunting instinct is present...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

He did not eat last night. It looks like all the moths are still there.
    i was considering giving him a honey bath, but it turns out the honey has fermented... Last thing I need is a frog who's sick and drunk...

7. This member thanks Dace for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What are you hoping to achieve with a honey bath? Get him into a qt tank so you can collect some feces and send them out for testing. Most local vets will test even if they do not treat, my last one cost $30. If you cannot find a vet to treat, let them know you just need the testing done, and send the results to Dr. Frye, he should be able to send you the appropriate meds and instructions. If you can't afford that, you should probably not own pets. Crickets are a great feeder for frogs who are being picky because they really turn on the instinct. It's easy to size them appropriately, they catch their attention, etc.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I dunno... I guess just to 'perk him up.' I guess since I sort of saw him turn his head to look at a moth, that a honey bath might make him more energetic so he might follow through with the feeding action...
    what exactly would the test be for? Most things I've read don't list not eating as a symptom of parasites, and he's still in pretty good weight for a frog who hasn't eaten in several weeks.
    Yes, I know I should probably have him in a quarantine tank... I've just been putting it off since i figure he's more comfortable and likely to eat in his normal tank even if it's harder to find feces.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i don't understand why you ask for advice. you won't take it. You have been given plenty of good suggestions, but all you do is make excuses and talk about a honey bath. That will do NOTHING for your frog.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree, the quarantine tank is to make sure that he eats, and to keep possible diseases from spreading

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

what "good suggestions?" I put him in a quarantine tank this morning. I highly doubt parasites to be the cause of his illness because he is only showing 1 symptom and it isn't congruent with them.
    what I want to know is what's wrong with him and if/how I should treat it.
    but if that's how you feel, fine. I won't seek advice on this forum again.

13. This member thanks Dace for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Holdon, before you leave I do have one question: Do you dust their food? It could be MBD, or metabolic bone disease, is he getting enough calcium?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I gave him woodlice frequently. They're extremely high in calcium. I don't think it's mdb, his bones are in good enough condition for him to jump around and climb on the glass. not to mention that if he wasn't getting enough calcium, surely that would manifest itself in his growing juvie days and not suddenly one day when he's been an adult for several years...
    Ok, that's my last post here.

16. This member thanks Dace for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Dace, people are actually trying to help you. You ask for advice, but then are resistant to all of it. It's frustrating for all of us. I agree that it is unlikely to be mbd, but highly likely to be parasites. If you read through other experiences, A LOT of phibs stop eating when a parasite colony decides to take over. It also could be the reason he looks to be losing weight around his back but not his belly. Plus, if he just stopped eating in the last couple of weeks, he's not going to be too thin yet, greys have fat stores. The fact that you didn't qt another wild caught frog before placing him with your current frog, causing stress and probably introducing a different parasite, is why we have all jumped to the idea of parasites. Also, wild caught insects carry them, particularly moths. Unless you're culturing them yourself, you put your frogs at risk. That's fine, so long as you accept the risk and are willing to get vet treatment. You get upset that we, who do not live with and watch your frog, do not know for sure what is going on and basically have to make guesses based on the information that you've given us, but appear to be unwilling to have ANY testing run to figure out what could be the problem. Therefore, we've pretty much helped you all that we can. I'm sorry for your frogs that you're not open to getting them vet care when they're ill. You seem to think you have it all figured out and are doing things perfect, but you regularly post looking for advice. I would think that your care routine isn't working very well then.

18. 3 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Dace;261767]I gave him woodlice frequently. They're extremely high in calcium.[QUOTE]

Umm, he is probably to large to eat woodlice, woodlice are small for a 2 inch frog! And since you have been feeding only moths and woodlice, can you afford crickets?
    Last edited by Cliygh and Mia 2; June 30th, 2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: The quote mesed up, Mods?

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Your frog may be in the early stages of red leg. Try giving him a tetracycline bath for a week and see if he improves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wasn't getting the connection about garlic...? Where is the original post relating to that and what it is supposed to do?

A bit confused because a few posts ago Dace said the Gray DID seem to have eaten three moths and a poo was found. I take it the poo was never collected for testing though... :/
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

22. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

[QUOTE=Cliygh and Mia 2;261789][QUOTE=Dace;261767]I gave him woodlice frequently. They're extremely high in calcium.

Umm, he is probably to large to eat woodlice, woodlice are small for a 2 inch frog! And since you have been feeding only moths and woodlice, can you afford crickets?
    I'm not sure what sort of wood lice you're talking about. The woodlice I rear for my frogs are Oniscus asellus, which reach a good half inch in length.
    yes I can afford crickets. As I mentioned before his diet used to consist mostly of dubia roaches.
    i never said I wouldn't take a fecal sample in for testing. You all seem to agree that he has parasites, so I guess I'll take in the next poop I see for testing. But before that, I need to get him to eat so I actually have a sample...
    No I didn't technically quarantine the other frog, but I did have it already in a separate tank for a year and a half and it has shown no signs of illness. If he has parasites, then you're right he probably got them in his food and it's my fault.
    The smell and taste of garlic increases the appetite of fish, reptiles and amphibians. But it's probably useless for getting frogs to eat since they don't hunt by scent at all. I tried leaving some garlic covered roaches in a bowl and as I expected it didn't work, but i thought it was worth a try.
    i have no idea if he ate those three moths. The poop was old and dry and probably useless for testing. All I know is that last night (in a small paper towel bottomed quarantine tank) he did not eat any of the moths or roaches I provided and did not poop.

i will definitely get him tested for parasites since that seems to be the general consensus.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    I wasn't getting the connection about garlic...? Where is the original post relating to that and what it is supposed to do?

A bit confused because a few posts ago Dace said the Gray DID seem to have eaten three moths and a poo was found. I take it the poo was never collected for testing though... :/
    I had posted several years ago about a small male grey that I had that would not eat, he would go anywhere between 5 days and 2 weeks without eating. When he did eat, it would be 1 sm/med cricket. At the time, I did not know about parasite testing and pretty much no one had any advice for me on how to help him. I basically scented the crickets with garlic, as I had remembered that being a good appetite enhancer for reptiles and read that it was also safe for amphibians. He ate several crickets that day. I've no idea if it was from the garlic or he just decided he was hungry that day. I did make a post about it, that's what Dace is referring to.

Dace, I should mention, I always struggled to get that frog to eat, from the day I got him, and he died about a year later. He didn't seem too thin, but one day he buried himself and never came back up. This is sort of an if I knew then what I know now...I would have gotten him fecal tested. He was WC and in the care of someone with many many other reptiles and phibs before he came into my care.

25. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ah, thanks Amy. Reminds me sort of what's going on with my Honey-Lime... he's always been my problem child

Wood lice? Are those sow bugs/Isopods? How are those nutritionally for frogs? I know they are commonly used as cleaners, but haven't heard much about them as a feeder source.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

27. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Ah, thanks Amy. Reminds me sort of what's going on with my Honey-Lime... he's always been my problem child

Wood lice? Are those sow bugs/Isopods? How are those nutritionally for frogs? I know they are commonly used as cleaners, but haven't heard much about them as a feeder source.
    It's frustrating when you have a typically ravenous species of frog that refuses to eat. My greys do regularly forage for isos in their tank though, so it's not a bad thing. Dace did say he typically feeds dubias but has been trying alternative feeders because the frog isn't eating. I still think that trying crickets would be a good idea though.

29. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Turns out it was probably nothing. He's fine now.

31. This member thanks Dace for this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information