Thread: Picky eating pacman frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Picky eating pacman frog?

My pacman frog, Button, is still quite small but is getting to the size where he could use a bigger water bowl as he sags out of it. He's a little bigger than a grade A egg. Anyway I'm trying to wean him off crickets and onto nightcrawlers because those will be his staple adult diet. The problem is that he doesn't touch anything else but crickets and even those he's eating fewer of, he couldn't care less about a piece of nightcrawler right in front of his face and he refuses to be fed with tweezers whatsoever. He needs to be weaned off crickets eventually or I'll have to feed him copious amounts of them when he's full grown. I only try giving him little bits of nightcrawler because he's still much to small to eat a whole one. Should I just take the nightcrawlers fishing and try feeding him regular sized earthworms to get him used to worms? I've heard they have trouble digesting mealworms because of their hard shells but what about adult beetles? I know wild frogs love beetles and I can easily raise a ton of beetles from mealworms. Beetles might get him used to hissing roaches when he's bigger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Picky eating pacman frog?

Mine won't touch nightcrawlers either. Big full grown crickets will fill him up. I've read that they're a good stable diet as long as you gut-load them and supplement them with multivitamins now and then. You could try doing a varied diet between crickets, locust and roaches. All the best

Nationality
    [United States]

Canadian night crawlers or red wigglers?I use canadian and cut them in half. They jump around a lot after that and my cranwelli/ornate both can't resist. Red wigglers produce a nasty tasting slime that will turn your frog off.

Also cornutas are notoriously picky eaters if thats what you have. If you have a normal variety pacman and your conditions are right then starving for a few days and offering canadian night crawlers should be all it takes. It took my little cranwelli about a month to get with the program. i throw my old cricket feed and gel on top of my worms which feed on the sludge off that. Growth has been ridiculous since switching from crickets.

Nationality
    [Canada]

My guy now was the same as pyru's, took about a month of showing the tongs during feeding before he would eat from him. This is how I did it. I would take the back legs off the crickets and lower them to the substrate with the tongs lets say about 4 inches away from, once the tongs and cricket were on the substrate I would let the cricket go so it would run towards him and then he would grab the cricket. I would just go a little closer every night until he wasn't waiting for them to be released aymore and he was literally jumping at the tongs. This only took a couple weeks I would say and once he would take the crickets from the tongs I tried nightcrawler and once he took it that was it, he has eaten a cricket in about 5 months. And I agree also that once the diet changed his growth rate was crazy. Don't give him red wigglers, they have a very foul taste and if he gets this taste in his mouth it will turn him off from worms, I have read and heard a lot stories of this happening. Also if the worm pieces aren't big enough to move on there own you really have to bug him with it to stimulate movement. Try rubbing it under his bottom lip, this gets a reaction a lot of the time. If you go to youtube there is a couple tong feeding videos from ivory reptiles I believe that covers how to to get a picky eating pacman to take from the tongs. Sorry about repeating the red wiggler bad taste thing, while typing I forgot Pyru covered that.

Nationality
    [United States]

I taught mine to eat from tongs by taking the food and rubbing it against her mouth until she got annoyed and bit at it. After a time or two she caught on and starting eating normally from them. That's also how I got her started on nightcrawlers.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

7. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya that's how I got my first pacman to eat, she would get annoyed with me and finally just take it. This guy if I touched him with the cricket or worm in the tongs he would freak out and bury himself then he wouldn't come up the next night. Now he eats everything I present to him except crickets, even tries to eat my fingers. He wont even waste time with the crickets, to small. I really hope the guy or girl I get this week isn't the same way.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you all so much! Every bit of information provided here is very helpful. I'll start slow with crickets and work him up with nightcrawler pieces.

Thread Information