Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New FBT set up

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New FBT set up

Just thought I'd show you guys and anyone looking for ideas to set them up my new set up Super simple but I really like it
    http://s24.postimg.org/3s2g1yq2d/IMG_1675.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New FBT set up

Hi, looks good. My one suggestion if you want the to do more terrestrial setup as you have I would put a bigger dish in there for them and maybe put a plant or something on the edge of it or sitting in it for some coverage. I find my guys really like hanging out in the water on there lilypads, and I notice my guys when eating will take the cricket into the water a lot to eat it then come back out for another when its gone. Again its only a suggestion and all in all it looks good.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

thank you! the water dish is an xl, it does look small on in the picture but yeah there is more land in there and would like to get more water in my set up at some point. i'm thinking of getting a bigger tank at some point and separating the land with cork bark to make a decent sized pool and plant it with aquatic plants, possibly lily pads like yourself, they'd be pretty cool.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I feel you need a lot more water. My 10 gallon tank is 60 percent water and my two FBT's spend almost all their time in or at least in contact with the water. They do go on the dry part some, but typically just to grab a cricket or get away from each other. They especially prefer to be in the cave in the water as opposed to the one on the dry.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

i've changed the water dish and i think this one looks much better
    http://i59.tinypic.com/fm6fro.jpg

7. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just my opinion, but I still think there is not enough water. With that small amount, your chemistry is going fluctuate from one extreme to the other. I'd imagine you'd have to change water daily. My FBT's like both shallow and deep water. I use a gallon of water in my 10 gallon viv. The entire bottom of the viv is wet. I use gravel piled up to just above the water line for my land areas and then top that with substrate for my plants. The plus on that is the plants can sink their roots to the water and I don't have to fuss with them. I generally change the water weekly, but even when it's been over 11 days, my ammonia and other stats are still within safe limits.

Take a look at the pics this user posted....... http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=34637 That's a fine setup IMO. You can see how they piled up the gravel then added the land above the water line. Your viv look like an exxoterra and they are able to support a wet bottom.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would also have to agree that you should have some more water. If you wanted to keep it bowl style you could go to a dollar store or something and find a plastic dish that would be almost the length of the front of your terrarium. You could take out some of the substrate even and get something abit deeper also and put some river rocks or something in to it make a slope so there is a little change in depth. Or for another idea a guy named ExoPredator just put up a post just under yours with I believe the same size exoterra you have and he has a full out water feature in his. I would say in IMO you want at least 50/50 land to water ratio or at least 60/40 land to water.
    Last edited by monster; June 17th, 2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: put in a pic

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

thanks for your help. i think the best thing i can dois to get a long cork round, take it some substrate, put it in the middle seperating the land from the water and then on the land side plant the pothos directly into the hygroballs, top with sphagnum and then for the water just put some gravel and keep the water about 3-4inches. thoughts?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Heya Jason,

I think we have the same setup in terms of tank! My original setup was very much like yours but I found the FBT's didn't seem super happy. I'm not saying yours aren't, it was just my basic observation in my set-up.

I went from this,

http://i.imgur.com/TR6g7kq.jpg

To this,

http://i.imgur.com/yjUczOn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lkt3Ssy.jpg

I have a shallow pool area for the FBT's to chillax in and a deeper area for them to swim in. They love it and they're hardly out of the water. If they aren't in the water they're close to it. I found that the tank is great to use for building up towards the rear and you can really maximize the space you use and give more land surface area without subtracting from the aquatic area of the tank.

I would say most of my tank is now aquatic, including the pool and the various tiered pools on the waterfall which i turned off before I took those pictures.

I notice you're in Scotland... I have a brand new ExoTerra Pebble waterfall (Small), with pump etc. It was only in my tank a few days before I took it out and replaced it. It was a great little water feature but I wanted to build the tank up more. You can see it in the corner of the first picture i sent.

If you want, with you living in Scotland, you're welcome to have it, providing you cover the postage. (Should only be about £5 max, if that.)

This is it;

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products..._waterfall.php

Hit me up via PM with an address and I'll pop down to the Post Office tomorrow to check how much postage will be if you want it.

All the best and can't wait to see what you do with your tank!

PS,
    I also found pebble moss and carpet moss worked better for me, It took root really quickly and thrived under the full spectrum lights

12. 2 members thank ExoPredator for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I like that setup ExoPredator.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Hi ExoPredator. Thank your for your reply and I appreciate the fact that you fully explained your points and showed me your set ups which both were awesome but yes the second one definitely does look more ideal for FBTs. I think when I get paid next week I'll definitely order some cork bark and try make a water section at the front. Hopefully have it all finished in a week or so then will post it and show you thank you so much, I'll PM you just now about the waterfall.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hey Jason,

Sounds like a great plan. I managed to do my transformation for absolutely nothing - free of charge to Exo's perpetually crying wallet.

I'm going to do a tutorial on how I managed to get the aquatic and land section up and running as a few members have messaged asking how I did it.

I've replied to your PM,

Regards.

16. This member thanks ExoPredator for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

i've like to see that, i'll keep an eye out for it! i'm thinking of maybe taking my exo terra to a fish shop that i know makes custom tanks and put a divider in it. if i were to put a divider right down the middle of my 18x18x18 do you guys think the water side would need to be filtered? i'd imagine finding a small filter would be a nightmare. over in america they do tetra whispers or something and they look good but hard to get a hold of here so that's out the window.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, ya you could split it in half that's how mine is setup. I have a piece of plexi glass as the divider, I have heard of people getting small leaks were the caulking from the tank meets the new but I haven't had any problems and its been about 9 months. And if you have a fish store close by you could pickup the caulking there and do it yourself instead of paying someone else to do it. For the filter that tetra is what I use, again if you have a fish store I imagine if you explain to them the small amount of water you need to be filtered someone there should be able to help out. unfortunately I don't know the most myself about them and I don't know what is available to you, even a small turtle filter would work if you could find one of those. If you do the caulking yourself give 48 hrs to set and let the fumes dissipate before putting anything back in. I will try to post a picture in abit of mine.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

seems like the easy route and quite a lot of people have done it. yeah i've heard that too but i'm sure that would just be a case of sealing it again? lucky, those look good but are hard to come by here and because i'd be replacing filter media every month or two, it would be a nightmare getting a hold of that and would probably be costly. the fish store i know will do it for a £10 so it's just worth them doing it as I'm so bad at DIY lol. I had a fluval mini filter in a set up I had for them a while ago and that made too much movement to the water and the toads were like flying about, was funny but not good! i'll probably ask the guy at the fish shop if he can order a small one in. I'd like to see your set up, that would be cool

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, hows the changing things around going? I didn't forget about the pics, took about 6 new shots of the tank the other night and now just have to open up a photobucket account or something so you can see them. I didn't forget, just got really busy.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Hey man, I'm in the process of making a more aquatic set up but not finished yet. Using a turtle dock as land and a few turtle grass fake plants in the water for the frogs to hide in. will post pics up when done okay dokey

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

alright, so i've finished my set up so I'll show you guys. I plan to keep it this way for some time. my toads are really forgiving but i think they're probably getting quite annoyed with me for changing their home so often. as far as i know by what i've read in books and seen how other people keep their toads, this set up should be fine. my girlfriend actually posted up a set up simmilar to this we had. so i've got my 18" cubed exo terra terrarium for my 3 fire bellies. for the land i'm using a medium turtle bank. the filter i'm using is the one i used before, it's not ideal as it it's a little strong but when i put the plants infront it kind of dims it down, so i think it'll be fine for now. i've got 2 exo terra 13w natural light bulbs for viewing and providing them a day and night cycle. Not using a heater as my room is usually around 18-25 at this time of year. hope you guys like and if any of you have fbts aswell i'd love to see your set ups.

http://imgur.com/97C3uQH

23. 2 members thank jasonm96 for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great!

Nationality
    [Canada]