Thread: New red eyed tree frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New red eyed tree frog

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a red eyed tree frog from one of my local pet stores. I have a few questions/comments to make sure im on the right track!

First I have no idea whether it is a boy or a girl, and I have not named it. I'll say "him" for now. Any tips on how I can tell? I dont know how old he is,but he is around 1 1/2 inches or so if that gives an idea.

He appears to be skinny to me also. (Owning whites tree frogs, I could be wrong about his body condition) Tonight is my second night with him, I didn't feed him yesterday because he had already eaten at the pet store. I just offered food, I put him on the bottom of the tank so he'd see the crickets, but he just jumped back on the side of the aquarium. Does it sound like he's just trying to get used to the change?

Ive had the temperature around 75 F and his humidity has been between 60-70%. Are these ideal? I've done a lot of research but Ive found conflicting results.

Overall he looks very healthy aside from possible being underweight. Again, I may be wrong about that. He has been active when I have moved him into his tank, showed him crickets, and held him once. I haven't meesed with him too much though since he's new and he doesn't like to be held all that much. I'm unable to attach a picture at this time ): I will try again later when I'm able.

Thanks for reading!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New red eyed tree frog

They do take a while to settle in. Do not be surprised if it takes him/her several days to settle in. I covered almost all 4 sides of my red eye's tank in order to get them to calm down and eat. 75-76 at night is a good temp, 78 during the day. I would bump the humidity to 70-80%. My humidity usually stays 75-80%. Usually, you cannot sex them until they are mature. Males will call and develop a nuptial pad. I had one male red eye that called at 1.75 inches, but the other didn't call until he reached 2.25 inches. The females will grow quite a bit bigger than the males.

You can attach a picture using a photo hosting account like photobucket, the uploader is not working.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I followed your tips, but he ended up dying the next day ): I guess he was sick or hadn't even eaten at the pet store in a while. I tried putting him in a separate tank with crickets in case he wasnt able to find them, but that didnt work either.

I plan to get another in the future but I'm waiting until my "reptile room" is finished so I don't stress the new one out too much with moving stuff around and whatnot. I bought a new tank as well so I'll be setting it up soon so it's ready.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm sorry for your loss

Thread Information