Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whites Tree Frog stopped eating

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog stopped eating

It can, it depends on what is causing it. The vet would swab and pinpoint the cause in order to prescribe the correct medication. Sometimes, frogs are beyond the point of saving, but it doesn't sound like this guy is, so long as you get help for him soon.

Here is the website of the vet that I would recommend if you're in the area - http://brookfallsveterinary.com/ - They would be honest with you if there is nothing you can do.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi, sorry for jumping in here. I haven't read all the replies, so if this is a repeat of what anyone has already suggested, I apologize.
    I've had whites for a very long time, and have found they prefer to have warmer temps during the day, I keep mine at just under 80, but they can tolerate up to about 82 (Fahrenheit).
    If your frog is staying toward the bottom of the tank at higher temps, it suggests to me the humidity is too low so he is trying to stay low where the moisture is.
    As far as your runny poop, this is sounds like a protozoan problem (I've treated one very sick froglet for this), but you must get a fecal sample to confirm. YOu can force feed if necessary, there should be a few threads on here about that.
    but in the mean time, you may want to contact dr. frye (search on here for his contact info, I've used him many times), he can send you metro and baytril, and I would suggest treating right away, even before fecal test is performed. I would ask the advice of dr. frye, but i assume he would suggest the same.
    once your frog is feeling better, he will begin eating. metro will stimulate his appetite as will the higher temps.
    as far as red leg goes, I have never personally dealt with it in my frogs, but it is usually linked to the cleanliness of the enclosure. do you change and clean the water bowl daily? use very hot water and a papertowel to wipe the bowl - *daily*
    Definitely contact dr. frye, milan animal hospital in Michigan. you can google his contact info and/or search the forum. He will work with you via email and with photos. he can ship you medication, which sounds like you desperately need at this point.
    good luck!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

5. 2 members thank Bolisnide for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Dr Frye can be contacted at dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, and yes i clean water bowl and wipe down with a paper towel every day because of any slime that accumulates

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm worried the hour and a half drive there might cause unwanted stress as well. I'm really not sure what to do for her right now. She is still her happy self but not having eaten for such i long time i fear that even of she gets her appetite back she will just get sick again. As for the contacting the doctor fre how much would those meds cost plus shipping to manitowoc wisconsin?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Dr Frye is usually very reasonable with costs. I would call Brook Falls and just get their opinion right now. Honestly...slowly starving to death is far more stressful than a bit of a drive for a possible answer and treatment. There is also a possibility of only having to drive the fecal samples and skin swabs there too. That's why I would call and talk to someone. They are really amazing people and very understanding of how to work with exotic pets in a least stressful way.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

10. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a vet in Green Bay that I went to for my male frog. I'm worried it's too late to do anything now though. I REALLY do NOT want her to die. I can't describe the pain I'm feeling just thinking about it. If I call them would they be able to tell if she is still save able over phone?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

In my opinion it's never too late to try and save a life. It doesn't sound to me like she's on her death bed. The only way to know for sure is to take her to the vet. Frogs can be resilient. I have a few whites myself that have had trips to the vet and a few rounds of treatment. All is currently well for my frogs [emoji196] good luck and I'm hoping your frog feels better soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Nationality
    [United States]

I work until 3:30 and can't get a ride earlier because my parents work. Vet 45 minutes away closes at 3:45. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure how to contact dr. Frye because I don't really email people ever

Nationality
    [United States]

Well everyone is on the same page. Temps are too low. If you want to try something, try metronidizole 250 mg to 1 liter of frog safe water) a fish mediction that was made for treating protozoa. It also has antibacterial properties that help with gram neg.and gram pos. bacteria. Treatment is for 10-14 day 20-40 minutes a day soaking. Must put in a clean sterile environment every day. Best of luck.
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

15. 2 members thank michael novy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I have an appointment scheduled with a vet about 30 minutes away for monday. Until then ill keep up the honey baths every other day

17. 2 members thank Reptibian for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok so I went to the vet today and on the way there she pooped and peed. The poop was a good sign as she must've had one of the crickets I put in her home. The pee was yellow, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that color. Granted I've never seen her pee in jar so that I could she the color. The vet had no idea what was wrong with her and he checked her mouth by opening with a paper clip because she keeps it shut. He doesn't think there is red leg but every once in a while some red shows up on her bottom of legs when she's riled up. What can I do to make her want to open her mouth and eat? Vet said he was going to check with other vets in Wisconsin for any answers. I also had a fecal sample done which turned out parasite free (yay!)

19. This member thanks Reptibian for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Doctor called back and said to bump up temp so i bought new bulb 60 watt but i think i need 75 watts. He also recommend i try meal worms to stimulate her appetite. He said force feed if necessary. I feel it may be red leg but she only is red every once in a while?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would NOT feed mealworms as they are high in chitin. Try waxworms, they are soft and easy to digest but higher in fat. Once those temps get up there (be sure to monitor humidity as higher temps can make it drop) her appetite might improve. WTFs legs can redden due to stress and hyper-activity, jumping on the glass walls/décor too.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

22. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for not replying for 4 weeks I was busy with everything going on. I gave her a week long oral treatment of 0.03 cc of baytril which definitely helped her. My mom and I force fed her crickets three times and she ate a mealworm on her on willingness. But then I had to go camping for a week so I have no clue how she ate then. Now she hasnt really eaten but that is because i re did her enclosure yesterday. Im not sure what to do, the redness is almost gone, do you think another week dosage on baytril would help?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information