Thread: My Frog Trying to drown it self?

Default My Frog Trying to drown it self?

Alight I am reasonably sure my green tree frogs are not suicidal, but yesterday i found one of them (I have 2) struggling to get out of the water in my tank so i put him back on land. then this morning I found them both in the water and i think the one is dead. again i pulled them out but want to know why? I have had them over a month and have never seen anything like this. My tank is a 110g that I made a vivarium. I also had 4 anoles in it but one died i think it had a parasite, either that or it was just getting bullied out of the food i'm not sure. the one thing that i did change with the tank before my frogs became suicidal was i added some aquatic plants that came all the way to the top and floated kinda like a Lilly pad, i don't know maybe the tried to go on them... i am so new with reptiles and amphibians any help is welcome. this tank is also in a school so avoiding suicide would be good .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My Frog Trying to drown it self?

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=20974&page=4 this is a link if you want to look at the tank and see if its just a design flaw

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No expert on frog diseases, but I'd guess parasites if it has anything to do with sickness. Either that or the water was just a tiny bit too deep. Apparently some White's never can swim well. Do you still have guppies in there? Maybe they were trying to catch them.

Frogger00

What type of tree frogs are these? Many tree frogs cannot swim. The frogs most likely tried to jump on the aquatic plants and then began to drown. Also, it's never suggested to mix species, I would get the anoles and frogs separated asap. If one of your anoles had parasites, every other animal in that tank now has those parasites as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim, I don't see any design flaws. I normally tell people to provide easy access to land when it comes to water features, and you did. But they also use the glass to climb out. So I doubt it's a water depth issue.
    You said you added plants, any chance they got tangled up in them, preventing them from getting out?

Aside from that, I would test your remaining animals (obviously not the crabs or fish ) for diseases/parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

7. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Thanks guys... So the second green tree frog died . As fas as I could tell they were not getting tangled. They just kept going in the water and couldn't go up. Or just kicking around aimlessly. How do you check for parasite or desises? If I decide to get more frogs any suggestions? Preferably something that wind eat all my fish . I did notice that my one frog after I had declared him dead because he didn't move forms couple hours after I pulled him out of the water had a few little bugs crawling on him. Just from the soil? Parasites?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd recommend not adding any other critters to the tank at this time. I'd consider testing the water for parasites. It sounds as though they might have been trying to catch the fish? Perhaps they were unable to get out.

The bugs are likely springtails? Are they very small and white?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

They were very small and blackish. Kinda a thin body very very small. Ok how do we test for parasites??

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmmm, not sure. You can send a water same or fecal same to a vet. Ask them to test for ova (eggs) and parasites.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    What type of tree frogs are these? Many tree frogs cannot swim. The frogs most likely tried to jump on the aquatic plants and then began to drown. Also, it's never suggested to mix species, I would get the anoles and frogs separated asap. If one of your anoles had parasites, every other animal in that tank now has those parasites as well.

I would blame the anoles. My mixed green anole and long tail grass lizard viv recently fell victim to parasites due to wild caught anoles. Once diagnosed i had to destroy it due to the severity of the issue. By the way, 90% of store anoles are wild caught an just a loaded with all kinds of bad stuff. A frogs skin is way too delicate for all the waste anoles produce too. I thank my stars the anole viv didnt make it into my creature room, think id have gave up at that point...

Sorry to hear about the frogs. Any vet diagnosis?

13. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Alright guys I cannot afford to take a 6 dollar lizards stool to the vet. I really do care and don't think of them as disposable but I don't make much money. So i was wondering if there are any general parasite treatment that one could dose them with relatively harmlessly? From the sounds of if I should have a QT tank for anything I buy from a pet store and i was thinking i could does then in there just as a precaution.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well the reason we tell people to go to the vet, is that they have to estimate the proper amount of the medicine to give. Otherwise, you may overdose the animal, and kill it, Maybe this guy could help? He doesn't do lizards I think, but he still may help

mailto:dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Not meaning to sound mean, but if you can't afford to test/treat your animals, regardless of how much they cost you, then I'd stick to a planted viv sans animals. Jmho.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

17. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Thread Information