Thread: Attention: Owners of White's Tree Frogs...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation Attention: Owners of White's Tree Frogs...

If you purchased White's tree frogs from a store, a breeder or broker (recently or in the past) and they got sick or died I would like to hear from you, get some information, and see pics of your frogs. Please post here or PM me if you would rather. Thanks much!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Attention: Owners of White's Tree Frogs...

Sigh.
    Name: Launchpad McQuack
    Origin: Petco
    Story: While making a closing time run we saw him flopping about/seizures/ and dragging his face across the floor. Naturally i said something. They know us and the collection so, they sent it home with me so it didnt die alone in a cardboard box. In house vet was gone till later the next day and they felt terrible.

We made a uv hut, pedialyte n honey soaked, assisted feeding(dusted), did extensive calling about, our local herp guy diagnosed mdb. But we lacked funding for autopsy.

2days i struggled and hovered over this poor guy, had the siezures almost stopped, and he threw 1 while i left the room and couldnt catch it(id hold it with a little pressure to stop seizing it worked). Well 2minutes later stiff as a board.

Returned to the store to update them as promised and was sent home with a free wtf and another for $10. Guess im a sucker. Havent re-used the qt either,after soaking and recent events here, i may just throw it away.

By seizure i mean hed 100% stretch and shake/lockup like that. Still upset over it... i also think he had a broken neck. Never did stop dragging its face. I also found its nose to be bruised.

4. This member thanks Krispy for this post:

Frogger00

Name: Oliver
    Origin: Pisces Pet Emporium
    Story: I went to Pisces early April and saw the most perfect blue eyed whites. He was being housed with a much larger white lipped tree frog. It is a reputable store, so I decided to buy him. After 2 1/2 weeks he still wasn't eating, pooping, or being active. I took him out and examined him, and saw the redness of his belly and legs. I researched, talked to some reptile friends, and started the tetracycline baths. He has since started eating almost everyday, he is a little bit more active, and croaks every night and morning. He's a very nervous frog, so I've been exposing him to a minute of handling each night. It seems to helping his fears and his legs are getting more white everyday. Here's hoping he will pull through. I had breeding plans for him, but I think I'd better wait at least another year for him to become stronger and healthier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. This member thanks Frogger00 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Name: Misty
    Origin: petco

I purchased misty from my local petco back in early feb of this year. She was being housed with gray tree frogs and looked relatively healthy upon buying. I put her in a qt tank where she's been ever since. She's had intestinal issues from day one. She was pooping runny diarrhea and sometimes white powdery texture and the occasional egg like poop. After a month of monitoring I decided to take her to my local herp vet where the dr said she looked healthy and her belly felt normal. He's requested a stool sample and I have him multiple at 65$ each for testing. I later received the news she had parasites. I forget which kind( treated with panacure orally) after treating the parasites, I had yet another sample to be tested. The fecal test came back neg but her poop still was not normal. Barely solid. The vet said it would not hurt to do another round of treatment. Misty had her last treatment on Monday night. She's been eating well, soaking, shedding as well. I'm waiting to see how the treatment goes over and once I get a second neg exam i will be adding her to my main tank with the two adults. ( who also came from a different petco) no medical issues with the other two frogs pickles and Houdini. I've had them since July 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

8. This member thanks Snappi13 for this post:

Frogger00

Where I live we don't have a Petco, but to take its place is Petland. I find it really interesting; I bought Betty and Sally from a Petland and I've had them almost two years and they have never had any issues other than nose rubs. I tested their poop and they were completely fine. Oliver on the other hand was purchased from a so called good petstore and he has red leg which almost cost him his life. When it comes to frogs, you must always be prepared for these situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. 2 members thank Frogger00 for this post:

Thread Information