Thread: Stinky.. Help :(

Nationality
    [Canada]

Exclamation Stinky.. Help :(

Hey guys..

Im wondering if anyone dealt with that before..

My WTF Tylt is having like a really clear yet amazingly stinky fluid coming out of his hind.. the first time i notice, it must of been in his poop has he was right by it and that what stunk baddddd. But tonight, hes been sooo active and begging to come out which ge has done on multiple occasion but i never did anything about it. Then tonight i decided.. screw it, ill take him out! He climbed on my hand, i went to sit on the couch, no peep or movement. He looked absolutely content! First time I have experienced such a thing! Before i put him back, he positionned himself to poop , then i felt and smelled something real weird. Figured he pooped on me.. i nicely pyt him back and realise.. there was NO poop on my hand. Jyst THAT stinky clear liquid.. what the heck is it?

Temp is 75-83 night and day
    Humidity is around 70 all the time with auto mister
    Light on from 8 am to 8 pm on a timer. Do same everyday
    He is bright, alert, active, very talkative, eats like a little piggy and no change in behaviour at all
    He has two buddies. Giggs my very first one and Zenior the friend he came with when i adopted them
    They were in quarantine for about a month before i put them all together
    No change in behaviour or eating habits for the other two either
    No apparent weight loss

Im not sure..??? Never had that before..? Never enough poop or time to make it to the vet thats a hour away from me with fresh specimen...

Help please1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Stinky.. Help :(

What does he eat? Have you fed him any whole earthworms recently?
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Sounds like pee. Tree frogs often pee when handled.. it stinks, so I've always chalked that up to self defense when coupled with handling.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Frog pee stinks?? I must be nose blind because we've kept frogs for years and I've never experienced smelly frog pee...?

When I hear about stinky liquid from a frog's hind end I think protozoans... coccidiosis and giardiasis cause smelly runny poo, but I don't know about any clear liquid. There is a gelatinous clear gunk though that is related. Was the liquid like water or was it slimy or sticky? Usually when a frog pees they just jet it, they don't really assume a poo posture (hind legs tucked into the sides at an angle and spread out at the vent?) at least that's been my experience.

I hope it is just normal pee (smelly or not) and everything is ok.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Frog pee stinks?? I must be nose blind because we've kept frogs for years and I've never experienced smelly frog pee...?
    I've been peed on dozens (hundreds?) of times over the years. By my own frogs a few times, but mostly by wild ones. Mostly Hyla versicolor, but a few other species as well. It doesn't smell like roses. Your definition of stink may vary.

7. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Likely it does, lol. Some folks thing Kung pao chicken smells good and I think it smells like a cross between skunk and burning rubber tires :P
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Stinky.. Help :(

When frogs pee for defense it has a different scent than their usual excretion. I'm sure if researched we would find that they excrete a pheromone of some sort as a defense mechanism. I find this particularly true with tree frogs.

With your frog passing this excretion so frequently my first thought would be parasites within the intestinal system. Parasites should be medically treated by a vet. All frogs living together should be treated for a full treatment length and the vivarium stripped down and decontaminated. This can be done by bleaching the tank with 10% bleach to water. Soak a minimum of 15 minutes. All decor and plants must also be decontaminated or tossed. Dechlorinate any bleached items with extra dechlorinator after soaking or wiping down the tank. I rinse first before dechlorinating. Bleach is toxic to frogs. I rinse again after dechlorinating and dry the tanks with paper towels.

If the frogs have parasites they should go into a hospital tank with only paper towels as flooring (changed daily). Wipe down tank daily with hot water and paper towels. Water bowl should also be rinsed down in hot water daily and refilled with fresh water. No porous items should be used in the tank until the parasites are gone. A smooth, fake, rinse-able plant may be used.

How to know if it's a parasite? Send a poop sample to a vet to be tested for ova (eggs) and parasites. Many parasites can be treated with Panacur or Ivermectin. Both should be dosed by weight, by a vet. It generally takes about 4 weeks to kill parasites with medication, occasionally up to 6 weeks. Caution is used to keep the tank very clean to not reinfect the frogs. The treatments are not difficult.

If it is a parasite, it will not go away on its own. It will eventually cause the frog to quit eating, they will develop nutritional deficiencies, become weak and will eventual pass.

Fecal exams are easy to do and are relatively cheap. You collect a new poop and send it in a new baggie to the vet.

If you are in the states (I did not look), Dr. Frye will have a fecal test done for you and will send you medications via mail. Outside the states a local exotic vet should be able to help.

Call or email Dr. Frye's office prior to sending any samples. Send a label with the frog species and date of specimen. Send a fresh poop sample as soon as it's deposited. If he is not pooping, you can try sending a paper towel with the liquid on it if there is enough, though a fecal sample is better.

Dr. Frye is in Michigan

You best bet is to get the fecal sample sent. Then you will know for sure. If it is negative, no harm done and you'll have peace of mind.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

10. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Thread Information