Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead wtf at petco!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dead wtf at petco!

So I've been researching wtf and when I get everything set up I'm going to get one. Well I went to petco to check theirs out. They had some really cute ones! Bright greens and teals. I kept peeking in there and whining to my boyfriend about how much I wanted one right now and I spotted something weird looking in the bottom corner. It was a poor dead baby! A guy had opened the drawer and let us look at them a few minutes earlier. my guy went and told them there was a dead frog in there and he said ok I'll check it out in a little while... really? We stayed for another 30 mins and it was still there when we left and now I'm so upset and disappointed in them. Well even more so now. I did notice that all but one little guy was dark green/brown on it's back and light green/blue on it's sides and legs. Is this normal? I took a pick of the poor little guy but I can't figure out how to post it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dead wtf at petco!

Frog Forum has been having issues with pictures lately, just upload it to another website and copy and paste it here

Nationality
    [United States]

Nationality
    [United States]

This one is harder to see. I zoomed in and the lighting isn't great

Nationality
    [United States]

It's a shame.

Another clear example of why to NOT BUY ANIMALS FROM PETCO.
    They may be accessible, they may be cheap, BUT they don't have expert information or oversight.
    Their tanks are used over and over again without proper disinfection.
    New frogs are not tested and treated.

Many report diseased frogs from them.....any frogs from them should be taken to a vet for testing and evaluation immediately after buying.
    This doesn't make them such a good deal with the potential for added costs, effort, and potential misery.

Sad, Sad, Sad

Anyone wanting for frogs please post want adds on forums such as this or deal with reputable dealers directly.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree! They didn't care at all about it either! IT wasn't like they were swamped with costumers. There was hardly anyone in there. when he was showing them to me he acted like he really cared about them. He was smiling at them and talking to them.

If you're looking to get a high quality, healthy, cb wtf, I would strongly suggest checking out Rainforest Junkies, owned by Michael Novy. http://www.rainforestjunkys.com/ He's possibly the top breeder in the entire country. I got to meet him and check out some of his frogs at the Reptile Expo in Hamburg this past February, and his White's babies were gorgeous and looked incredibly healthy.

I would not consider purchasing a frog at Petco, or any of the similar big chain stores.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

9. 5 members thank Crunchy Frog for this post:

Petco

Hi Whitney. We're sorry to hear about your recent visit at one of our stores. Could you please send us your contact information, the store location you visited (please include state and zip code), and the message you posted here about the frog so that we can look into this further? You can send your email to this address: ptpsupport@petco.com. Once you do, our team can follow up and properly address your concerns. Thank you in advance.

Never Buy Live animals From Petco

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petco View Post
    Hi Whitney. We're sorry to hear about your recent visit at one of our stores. Could you please send us your contact information, the store location you visited (please include state and zip code), and the message you posted here about the frog so that we can look into this further? You can send your email to this address: ptpsupport@petco.com. Once you do, our team can follow up and properly address your concerns. Thank you in advance.
    Hey, "Petco", I reported sick frogs I got from my local Petco to corporate (on FB) back in October. You requested the same info from me, and I NEVER heard a thing back from you. I also reported DYING frogs to the store manager, more than once, as my sister and I watched them perish right before our eyes. Who is going to be held accountable for all the sick and dying frogs coming out of your stores? The public has a right to know.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

13. 2 members thank irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Petco, I take it that you are a generic spam account, right? And you just trying to get a customer back to get more money to torture more animals, right? The real problem is you don't train your employees in fish, reptile, bird, and small mammal care. If you really do care about the animals, train the employees how to care for the animals you sell

mottenfest

My local Petco is the same way: completely clueless. They keep bearded dragons on sand and hermit crabs with poisonous painted shells. All of the bearded dragons got impacted and died.
    They had pacman frogs in tanks with 35% humidity. I told a manager, nothing was done. A shame.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And to top it off, "Petco", if you get sick animals and suspect the problem is from one of your vendors then get your animals quarantined, tested, and TAKE ACTION. Do not continue to sell sick animals, or animals that have been in contact with sick animals. Be accountable!

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

17. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And a side note on "reputable breeders"... I purchased two young WTFs from a "reputable" breeder/broker who was flipping the frogs of another breeder who is above reproach in the herp world. One of those frogs is dead, after less than a month of ownership, and the other is barely clinging to life. I had the dead frog tested post-mortem... it's Chytrid. All of my frogs, except one, came from a world renowned breeder... 3 of those came from Petco and three from the "reputable" middle man. ALL the frogs I have ever purchased (all CB) tested positive for parasites: Coccidia, hookworm, strongyloides, giardia and now Chytrid. The one frog I purchased as an adult from a non-local Petco also tested positive for strongyloides, even though she never had clinical signs. ALL my frogs have been in QT until last month when I put two separate pairs together into two separate Exo-Terras... I would not take them out of QT until all had clear fecal tests. Three frogs were in QT since Oct, one since Nov. and another since Jan. The newest frogs were of course in QT. I document EVERYTHING with photos and vid and from posts made here and elsewhere. Quite frankly I no longer have trust in breeders, brokers or otherwise-- unless they can provide me with documented proof that their frogs are healthy and tested clear for parasites, Chytrid, etc. I've had far too much heartache out of something that was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby for me. I'd never give back any of my frogs for anything, I love my little guys, but I would never opt to go through this misery ever again
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey, when the animals start dying, were the next to go, isn't that right petco?

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    And a side note on "reputable breeders"... I purchased two young WTFs from a "reputable" breeder/broker who was flipping the frogs of another breeder who is above reproach in the herp world. One of those frogs is dead, after less than a month of ownership, and the other is barely clinging to life. I had the dead frog tested post-mortem... it's Chytrid. All of my frogs, except one, came from a world renowned breeder... 3 of those came from Petco and three from the "reputable" middle man. ALL the frogs I have ever purchased (all CB) tested positive for parasites: Coccidia, hookworm, strongyloides, giardia and now Chytrid. The one frog I purchased as an adult from a non-local Petco also tested positive for strongyloides, even though she never had clinical signs. ALL my frogs have been in QT until last month when I put two separate pairs together into two separate Exo-Terras... I would not take them out of QT until all had clear fecal tests. Three frogs were in QT since Oct, one since Nov. and another since Jan. The newest frogs were of course in QT. I document EVERYTHING with photos and vid and from posts made here and elsewhere. Quite frankly I no longer have trust in breeders, brokers or otherwise-- unless they can provide me with documented proof that their frogs are healthy and tested clear for parasites, Chytrid, etc. I've had far too much heartache out of something that was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby for me. I'd never give back any of my frogs for anything, I love my little guys, but I would never opt to go through this misery ever again
    Lisa, just wanted to know if you've been trying the Lamisil AT bath treatment for your sick frog? This really is the currently accepted treatment, despite the pump spray version not having been available for several years. It's worth giving it a try, no matter how sick your frog is.

Here's a thread that I found here that may give you some hope. Chytrid: Don't let anyone tell you it's too late. http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....hlight=chytrid
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He's dead, Crunchy... just died about an hour ago. My vet is supposed to have a stronger version of the same type of medication, already compounded into a ready-to-use bath for me tomorrow. I hope to God I can stop this from taking my other frogs. This insidious disease did NOT originate here, as the individual (broker/flipper) who sold them to me tried to imply-- he also said this: "I know you never quarantine your frogs". The bloody hell I don't! My frogs have all BEEN in QT since I got them, up until last month and this month (I got my original 4 in Oct & the next two in Dec and Jan prior to these ones that just died) I have documented everything in photos and video and on here. I also have copied down the threats this individual made to me; I was also recently made aware that this guy has been banned on Kingsnake.come and Faunaclassifieds.com for years. I also know, directly from the source, who supplies Petco's frogs, including mine that I got there (but for one), and the ones who were dying at my store. I reported the deaths to him and communicated with him through direct message. I told him I trusted the problem didn't originate with him (due to his unquestionable reputation in the field). But the puzzle pieces are now, sadly, fitting together and I no longer trust anything I previously believed.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

I'm sorry to hear about your frog.

It's my understanding that Chytrid is very treatable in captive animals, especially if caught early. Since you already know your other frogs have potentially been exposed, you should, hopefully, be able to avoid any further losses.

The rest of your post has me kind of curious, and I'd like to know more, if you want to PM me. If you don't want to, that's fine too.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor

23. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Will do.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I will say this, Lija is absolutely right... Certain people can bully and threaten and lie, to keep things hush hush about frogs they sell carrying diseases like Chytrid, or parasitic infection, but it's just a matter of time before someone higher up, or richer, or meaner, than they are lowers the boom and stops them in their tracks. The problem is it's probably going to be too late. THEY are the ones responsible for the government wanting to ban people from having frogs!

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=34578
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information