Thread: Live moss?

Default Live moss?

Alright. I know this is a frog forum. But I found some REALLY nice moss in the woods when I was going to the del. water gap yesterday. I found so much. That I put some in with my toad. The larger piece I just put it in with my box turtle. My toad has soil in her tank. While my turtle has some bark. I forgot what type of bark it is. I know its good for them. Its not regular bark. Cypress mulch or something. My tank is extremely humid. I used to have problems keeping moss alive. Any care tips? Like I dont think they died on me. But they just ended up turning brown so it was ugly then I t hrew it out. :/ Is there a way to keep it green and lush?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

tyjare

Default Re: Live moss?

I have read that if the moss isn't from tropical regions than it needs a simulated winter during the year to stay alive. Only the tropical kind will stay green all year round. The brown might just be it trying to hibernate or whatever the plant term is for that. Also you have to really spray them for them to absorb water. hope this helps.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You might want to give this a read-through and see if it helps:
    Moss propagation, care, and general info - Vivarium Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adawinters View Post
    You might want to give this a read-through and see if it helps:
    Moss propagation, care, and general info - Vivarium Forums

I did..... It wasnt really helpfull. I didnt see anything about keeping it alive inside a terrarium.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by tyjare View Post
    The brown might just be it trying to hibernate or whatever the plant term is for that.
    The word you are looking for is "dormant", they go dormant.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Kevin, I have ornamental moss's living nicely in my enclosures. They last for over a year and the only reason I throw them out is because I want the frogs to fresh new ones and I can get it easily. I have it sitting on sphagnum moss which sits on rocks just out of the water (not soaking in water). During the year the temp would range between 70-80 F. I also spray the enclosure maybe twice a week. It will also do well outdoors as I have it in my Froggery which gets as low as -6 C. I leave it over winter but water it often in the summer. I think it can stand most temps but it wont do well if its too wet.

Here is a photo of the of moss I would use in one enclosure. The sphagnum is the lighter green and the rest sits on top. Hope this helps .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

tyjare

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The word you are looking for is "dormant", they go dormant.
    Thank you for the life of me i couldnt remember that term.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Hi Kevin, I have ornamental moss's living nicely in my enclosures. They last for over a year and the only reason I throw them out is because I want the frogs to fresh new ones and I can get it easily. I have it sitting on sphagnum moss which sits on rocks just out of the water (not soaking in water). During the year the temp would range between 70-80 F. I also spray the enclosure maybe twice a week. It will also do well outdoors as I have it in my Froggery which gets as low as -6 C. I leave it over winter but water it often in the summer. I think it can stand most temps but it wont do well if its too wet.

Here is a photo of the of moss I would use in one enclosure. The sphagnum is the lighter green and the rest sits on top. Hope this helps .
    My habitat is constantly wet. So it keeps humidity up. Its an open enclosure so it has to have wet substrait. It dries out in a week or so. Then I have to dump a bit more water on it. Iam going to change the substrait within a week or two. But yeah.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by tyjare View Post
    Thank you for the life of me i couldnt remember that term.
    You're welcome.

nx2ured

Just be sure to treat the moss you get from outside. It can contain lots of creepy crawlies that could possibly harm your frogs. I have used it before without treating and ended up with some sort of wasps as well as centipedes crawling all over my tank. I ended up having to remove my frogs and dry ice the critters, but was never able to completely get rid of them.

Thread Information