Thread: 5 Shades of Frogs (WTFs)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default 5 Shades of Frogs (WTFs)

I've had these guys for a month now, completed a second exo terra 18x18x24 home to accommodate the growing froggies before they started to get crowded, and moved the faster growing, more aggressive hunters into the new setup since they are ready for the next size crickets. Had a couple slow starters that are still on small crickets, but they are all healthy and eating well. UV bulbs to help with vitD,(I know noctourns don't need UV, but like my grays, they like it, have even caught a few trying dig through the screen to get closer. The lights are center tank, with no perch close enough to let them burn themselves, so they don't get far trying to get through the screen before they fall into the water bowl or hang bat style from the climbing vine.) crickets are gutloaded as a norm, fluker orange cubes, calcium fortified dry food, veggie/calc block etc. Dusting with calc/D3 on schedule. Being my first time keeping whites (though I have kept numerous herps across the board since childhood), I can't say I am disappointed in these guys. The colors are striking, watching them change as day turns night, or they seem to understand how to camouflage up before going in to the cover hunting.
    Caught a few shots of the gang hanging out, they seem to be at least as social as my grays, any observations on what to look forward to there? I'm hoping they don't outgrow the behavior, as the family loves seeing them snuggled up in a frog pile on the magnetic ledges when they're sleeping. (More fun to watch them hunt) As young'ns at least, they definitely seem to build friendships, and seek out certain other frogs just like favorite napping spots. Even moving to a new hangout if the other/s do.
    Very fun species to have in the house, personalities as varied as the colors they show. A few have even started barking at crickets, excited or telling others to get out of the way? lol
    Some that are trying to call, are young still, 1&1/2-2" at most, and not just the occasional startled noise, or at food, I'll try to upload some of the vids I got. Unfortunately the largest male, that has the best call, is camera shy.

With five visible and a sixth behind the spotted beast, they made for a sight.
    And as promised, five shades of froggies.

Apologies for the lighting, noob with the camera, and getting the hang of no flash since some of the little ones run from it. Can't say I blame them, hurts the eyes and wrecks the photo equilibrium.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 5 Shades of Frogs (WTFs)

Gorgeous looking crew you have there Get them from Petco? If so they most likely are from Sandfire lines, so related to mine (and lots of others out here, lol)
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Theyre beautiful. Im also working on making a small colony. Thumper there made me love dumpys...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Love those pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes Thumper, we did get them at petco. The one shipment per year they get captive bred WTFs. And my research has pointed me in the same direction, I do believe they are from the Sandfire breeders. I am more than happy with the quality of frogs I wound up with, they are all getting very friendly too. I limit handling since they are still babies, but they have no fear of hands in the tank and near them, misting or spot cleaning only inches away and they just watch me, or as a couple do, they try to bark when I spray them, lil buggers love the water lol.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice! my frogs get excited and squawk when they think they're about to be fed sometimes. (And also when they poop.)

I think you did well getting babies since I've heard about some of the older petco frogs having problems. (One of mine does.)

Thread Information