Thread: Found my Bullfrog dead in his enclosure (Warning, picture of dead frog)

Captain Trips

Default Found my Bullfrog dead in his enclosure (Warning, picture of dead frog)

As seen by the title, when I came home from uni today, I found my African Bullfrog lying dead on the substrate of his enclosure, No Idea why either, I feed him regularly with Cockroaches and Earthworms, and locusts when I could get them, dusted his food regurlarly changed his water Daily, more if he defecated in it, and cleaned out the substrate every two to three weeks. When I came home he lied as mentioned dead on the substrate with darkgreen spots on his body, and his backlegs completly darkgreen too, What happened, he was active as normal this morning, he even Croaked some yesterday evening. I will be posting a picture with this hopefully someone might tell me what happend to cause his death. (The box was not his enclosure, I placed him there to get a proper picture)
    Last edited by Captain Trips; May 7th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

babyBriBri

Default Re: Found my Bullfrog dead in his enclosure (Warning, picture of dead frog)

aww, poor baby. Darkening of the skin can be due to: stress, poor diet, or dehydration (I'm sure there are others also). The humidity should range from 70-80% and the temp should range from a rough estimate of 72-80F, can't remember, I keep mine at 80. They also need a light that gives them rays that the actual sun would so they don't get MBD. Does any of this help?? I mean if you did keep up the humidity, it could have just been something that generated from that. I can only imagine how easy it is for germs to brew in these conditions..

Captain Trips

Default Re: Found my Bullfrog dead in his enclosure (Warning, picture of dead frog)

Hmmm, could be, Thing is, those dark spots, they were not there this morning when I left for Uni, and then he was still alive, does darkening of the skin appear after death when under poor diet, stressed, etc.? or does it usually appear when they are still alive?,
    And yes I did keep both temp and humidity up, following the caresheet instructions here on the site, And I did not handle him much either, except for when changing water or feeding him, if he needed to be moved that is.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think the dark spots could have appeared after death, they could be normal lividity.

Sorry for your loss. My mind is blown with curiosity. Never seen spots like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yup unfortunately this is Very common! They seem to do well but then one day BAM dead! I have contributed it to water bowls or water features! It might be a mold spore that developes or a bacteria or something we may never really know. I got rid of my water bowls over 2 years ago and Mr. Pickles looks way more vibrant in color. I put a video of him in the forum. But if you do want a water feature i would suggest installing a ultra violet sterilizer to it some how. So sad for your lose!!!!! ):

Thread Information