Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF has Red Leg

Frogger00

Default WTF has Red Leg

My new White's, Oliver, has red leg. He got it at the pet store because he was kept with a different species. I've heard of the oral tetracycline treatment and was hoping someone could walk me through the steps? Or if anyone has other treatments that would be great. I'm very worried but I think he can beat this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: WTF has Red Leg

The only other treatments I have been able to find is a super quarantine and total breakdown and cleaning of what hes in. I guess unless hes still in quarantine. And if there is open sores to put the polysporin without pain reliever on the open sores if there is any to prevent secondary infection. The drug you have is what they would give him, that or enrofloxican ( baytril) for him to bath in. If you give him this do you know how much to give him according to his weight?

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would personally take Oliver to the vet to be checked out to make sure he doesn't have any other illnesses as well. Often times these pet store frogs come with parasites and worms. I have a wtf from petco still in a qt tank until k can get a neg decal test. She tested positive for parasites and it was a simple oral med that was prescribed by my local herp vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Frogger00

Thankyou for responding. He is already in quarantine. I believe the cause of the red leg is because he was with another species at the pet store and that with the stress of bringing him home. No open sores thankfully. I believe it is 1mg per 5 grams.

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Snappi13 View Post
    I would personally take Oliver to the vet to be checked out to make sure he doesn't have any other illnesses as well. Often times these pet store frogs come with parasites and worms. I have a wtf from petco still in a qt tank until k can get a neg decal test. She tested positive for parasites and it was a simple oral med that was prescribed by my local herp vet.

I am still having a really hard time finding any reliable vets in my area. There is about 3, but all have mixed reviews. I do my own fecal tests in my home, so when he poops I will get right on testing it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice to hear it sounds like your pretty on top of things then. If it were me I would maybe try the vet with best reviews and closest to home worst case scenario. If you can do your own fecal tests at home maybe you can rule out parasite/worms and save yourself the vet bill and inconvenience.

Stephanie

Frogger00

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) Litoria Caerulea (White's Tree Frog)
    2----please include a photo of the frog

3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    18x18x24
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    1 frog
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    Yes, at the pet store Oliver was being kept with a white lipped tree frog of bigger size than him.
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    No
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    40-50%( I am trying to keep it lower because it is suggested when a frog has red leg)
    9----what temperature is maintained
    75-85
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    Exo terra 75 watt during day, and Great Choice purple night bulb at night(forget wattage)
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    Exo terra 75 watt
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    Oliver is checked on daily, water changes every day and spot cleaning everyday. Paper towel change about once a week.
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    Filtered RO water
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    Filtered RO water
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    No
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    Paper towel
    15---enclosure set up:

-----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    About 3 weeks ago before Oliver came home the tank was cleaned with a vinegar/water mix.
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    Artificial plastic plant on wall
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    No wood, just a water dish and leaves
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    About 5 days ago
    17---have you found poop lately
    No
    18---how often is the frog fed
    I have been offering daily, but he will not eat.
    19---what size feeder is given
    I've tried small and large crickets, he ate one big one and 2 small crickets.
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    None at the time being
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    Crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    They roam free, but are removed if uneaten within 15 minutes.
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    If he was eating regularly, it would be the repti cal brand (the blue vitamins container)
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    It would be repti cal calcium with d3
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    I am not sure.
    26---approximate age of the frog
    Around 1 year
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    3 weeks
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    Pisces pet emporium
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    Not sure, but I would have to guess captive bred because he is a blue eyed morph
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    Handled as little as possible. Gloves are not used
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    Normally low, except dinner time( the cage is in dining room)
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    Yes, currently in quarantine
    -----for how long
    Since I've had him
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    No
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would definitely start changing the paper towels daily instead of weekly. Also, you're probably already doing this, but change out the water dish in addition to its once a day change if you see it has any waste in it (my boys seem to think fresh water is the best for pooping in, so I sometimes have to change it twenty minutes after I just did). With red leg it is important to be hyper vigilant about keeping the enclosure clean.

I'd also recommend bringing him to see a vet. Choose the one with the best reviews (very few ever have entirely perfect reviews) and that you know has herp experience. You might even be able to talk to the vet over the phone to ask a few questions and confirm they know about frogs before making the appointment (depends on the vet).

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger00 View Post
    Thankyou for responding. He is already in quarantine. I believe the cause of the red leg is because he was with another species at the pet store and that with the stress of bringing him home. No open sores thankfully. I believe it is 1mg per 5 grams.
    I would back up strongly the suggestion that you should get him to the vet. Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting what you said, but a couple of points;

First off, are you sure it is "red leg" as in bacterial dermatosepticaemia? Erythema (skin reddening) can result from various things such as direct irritation, heat, toxins from other species, chemical irritants, stress. And as a pretty good general rule, if a frog is still alive 3 weeks with "red leg", it probably wasn't red leg. Untreated bacterial dermatosepticaemia usually kills fairly quickly.

1 mg per 5 g implies 200 mg/kg - significantly over most dosage ranges published for tetracycline for amphibians (I assume it was the tetracycline you were talking about). A vet would be able to advise on suitable doses.

tetracyclines are generally a poor choice for bacterial problems in amphibians - they are basically bacteriostatic (i.e. they do not kill bacteria, they only stop it reproducing, and hence rely on the animal's immune system to eliminate the bacteria. Ill and stressed amphibians probably have a reduced immune system. Again, a vet would be able to advise on suitable drug.

Hope you can get him sorted.

Bruce.

12. This member thanks Herpvet for this post:

Frogger00

Ok, so if it is not red leg, what is it? He is lethargic, little appetite, and reddening of his legs and lower stomach.

Frogger00

Update: some good news! Oliver was barking like crazy tonight at the popcorn machine. I love that noise. Of course when I go to look at him he gets embarrassed and stops though, lol. His eyes were opened pretty wide and he was very awake, so I offered him a cricket which he ate within 5 minutes(success!) I picked up the tetracycline (the kind for fish) and I mixed two pinches of it with some salt and water. He soaked for about 20 minutes. His legs are still reddish and he's still somewhat lethargic, but he made some improvements today so here's hoping he can fight this off.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Do you have an actual picture of the legs so we can see how bad it is?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's good I'm glad to hear he's making some improvements

Stephanie

Frogger00

Update: bad news. Oliver refused food tonight, his legs got incredibly red when I picked him up to put him in his tetracycline bath, and he developed a few small sores, which I treated with Neosporin. His legs looked somewhat okay, but when I touched him they instantly flared up. He also was quite angry with me and proceeded to squeak and squawk at me. He didn't want to soak either, so it was a struggle to get him to stay in the bath for more than a few minutes. He is really not happy, he looks very scared about everything and extremely stressed. I will try the treatment for a few more days to let it start working, and I am also going to be contacting the pet store for details.

I will post a picture of the redness later tonight or tomorrow morning.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry to hear he's getting worse. It definitely sounds like time for a vet visit.

19. This member thanks Crispy42 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would not put him in any salt water. One thing you can do to help sooth his skin is a honey bath made with 100% organic RAW natural unprocessed honey (very important!) and 100% organic all natural unprocessed coconut water with no preservatives or other additives. Put 1/4 teaspoon (measuring spoon) of the honey and appx 1/2 tsp coconut water into 16 oz of warmed spring water with 8 drops of Reptisafe (for slime coat) added. Soak froggy for 20 mins while dripping the soaking solution over his back. Other than doing this once a day I would leave him absolutely alone and undisturbed except for feeding and cleaning. You can clean out his house while he soaks if you have someone to do the dripping for you. If you have any vets experienced with herps I'd take him there, if not I'd contact Dr. Frye.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Frogger00

I paid a visit to an experienced reptile/amphibian breeder and he said that the tetracycline was the best treatment. I will try the tetracycline for at least a week and see how he does. If he worsens, then I will consider putting him down because I don't want him to suffer. Here's hoping he pulls through!

Frogger00

Here are the pictures. He's now started to develop some sores. Poor guy.

Frogger00

Update. The tetracycline treatment is going well. He hasn't eaten the past few days, but still croaking and finally a poop! A big one at that. It was completely digested, unlike his previous poop. It's in my fridge right now so I can test it tonight. Last night his legs were very red, but after his treated bath the redness calmed down a bit. He seems to be a bit more active too. Really hoping he can pull through!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Best of luck with the froggy. I hope he gets better soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information