Thread: Tricking Nocturnal Species

100+ Post Member ThatGuyWithTheFace's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tricking Nocturnal Species

Does anyone have any idea on how to trick a nocturnal species into thinking it's night during the day? I've looked into using window tint used for vehicles, but that idea seems less than safe and not worth it. The tank will only have one side that's glass.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Tricking Nocturnal Species

What is being used to to give the frog light at the moment? Is there any other frogs or anything else kept in the same room? I would think you would slowly have to change the time of day you turn your lights on for him over a short period time. If you do lets say 7am to 7pm right now maybe if you start turning it on a 1/2 hr to an hour later each day till you get the times you want. Im thinking doing it this way so it would be less stressfull then just doing a one time change. But then that could be ok, im not 100% sure. You would have to change the temps to match your new day and night hours too. You would definitely have to put the frog in a room with no windows unless you can make it pretty dark during the day.

100+ Post Member ThatGuyWithTheFace's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Tricking Nocturnal Species

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    What is being used to to give the frog light at the moment? Is there any other frogs or anything else kept in the same room? I would think you would slowly have to change the time of day you turn your lights on for him over a short period time. If you do lets say 7am to 7pm right now maybe if you start turning it on a 1/2 hr to an hour later each day till you get the times you want. Im thinking doing it this way so it would be less stressfull then just doing a one time change. But then that could be ok, im not 100% sure. You would have to change the temps to match your new day and night hours too. You would definitely have to put the frog in a room with no windows unless you can make it pretty dark during the day.
    Yeah, I'd be afraid to just suddenly change it. XD He's kept in my bed room. His tank is lit with a t8 fluorescent fixture. I was hoping there'd be some ideas on making it where I can see in, but he can't see out. Even if it's not glass. It's a custom built tank. I have no ideas other than using vehicle window tint.

Thread Information