Thread: Tree frog tadpole care

Default Tree frog tadpole care

A friend of mine gave me about 20 newly hatched I believe tree frog tadpoles because he said he saw the tree frog lay the eggs on a puddle on the chair. He doesn't know any close ponds around his town. I had an open 10 gallon tank for them and I put gravel, brought tadpole food and plants to put in the tank. I don't know what kind of treefrog they are but I will soon find out they are about 1/4" right now. I just want to know anycare info or anything on them. Ps. In the future I will be selling them when they get to froglet and frog stage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Default Re: Tree frog tadpole care

It sounds like you are on the right track, just be sure to put some rocks or logs that they can climb out onto as they transform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the tadpoles! If you can tell me where you're located, I might be able to narrow down the identity a little bit, for you.

I'm also available for any tadpole advice you may want, since I raised nearly 60 Gray tree frog tadpoles/froglets last summer. I released most of them, but still have six (though I'm looking to adopt out a couple of them, so their viv doesn't get too crowded).

If you don't already have one, you might want to get a cheap filter for the tank, to help keep the water clear. I also like to use turkey basters for cleaning out debris and doing partial water changes, as siphons can be risky (one of my mistakes). Plants are good, and I've noticed that many tadpoles particularly like to nibble on Anacharis. I tried to make sure that mine had a diversity of foods. A couple of foods that mine really liked were Tetra veggie flavored Tank Nibblers, and Elive Algae Wafers. Anything with spirulina in it is good.

Once they sprout their front legs, it's a good idea to move them to a new enclosure, with just a small amount of very shallow water, and easily accessible dry land. They are very vulnerable to drowning at the time of metamorphosis, which is why it's a good idea to get them away from any deep water. If you're interested, I can give you some info on how I set up my morphing containers.

And enjoy them. It's really pretty incredible watching them go through the whole development process.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

5. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Im having a problem with these little white worms climbing on the side of the tank I have a filter in there but it doesn't pick up the left over food or poop on the gravel floor. Those worms are getting me nervous. I would do a major water change but I don't want to accidentally kill the tadpoles by any chance. I think the worms are planarians. Do you know anyways or getting rid of them. Also I got them from a friend in Naples, Florida. Can you also pm me your setup for the morphing containers?

Thread Information