Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick WTF - Green Spots???

IgbyKibbits

Default Sick WTF - Green Spots???

Hello everyone -

As you've seen in my other thread, little Kibbits is really sick : (. He is now in a sterile quarantine tank, getting antibiotics and lamisil baths each day. After taking him to the vet (and having the vet concerned about the spots), we read a lot more about the dreaded "neon green spots." Luckily, Kibbits doesn't have as many as the those in the pictures, so hopefully we can still fight this.

Has anyone else had experience with this on a WTF? Is this Chytrid?

Irregardless, I'll keep you updated with this tobramycin/lamisil treatment. We are going to start a 10-day lamisil treatment on Igby as well, especially given the chance it is a fungus. I know she isn't going to be happy being in her own quarantine, but I don't want to risk losing her too.

Also, any suggestions for feeding? Kibbits is still not eating, so last night I tried to give him some Flukers critical care. Of course, he refused to open his mouth and not wanting to stress him more, I didn't want to force his him (by handling him and trying to gently open his mouth with the syringe). Anything more I can do?

Thank you so much for all the support. We would have surely lost him without you guys!!! I've heard from three vets already saying they don't know what it is : (

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick WTF - Green Spots???

Where are you reading about these neon green spots? Chytrid is usually not something you can "see", and the vast majority of cases of pets supposedly dying from Chytrid are bogus. Post a photograph of the frog please. In all likelihood, if the frog is sick it has something aside from Chytrid. A trip to an amphibian-savvy vet will be necessary to treat most amphibian diseases.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

IgbyKibbits

John -

We drove our little guy two hours north to see the only vet we could find who would take a look at an amphibian (he usually sees reptiles). Unfortunately, he didn't know what was wrong and had not seen this before. He even consulted with a vet network, and could find no information. He is the one who prescribed the tobramycin, and suggested (echoing Kurt) a lamisil bath. This is where I'm reading about the green spot issue: http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?...2337&page=0#14

They have a lot of threads about white's showing up with those mysterious mint green spots, with strange, excessive shedding, lethargy and loss of appetite which is exactly what Kibbits is presenting with.

Here are the a few pictures of Kibbits with his green spots. He has probably 20 (increased over the last week) tiny spots. You can see the comparison from the normal white spots to the mint green spots. Sorry for the lack of better pictures. I don't want to stress him more by handling him to get better ones. (Oh, and just a note - he is no longer on substrate. Those pictures were taken on Saturday prior to moving him to a quarantine tank).

If you have an idea of what it might be, please let me know. We just want to make sure we are doing the right thing for our little guy!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

IgbyKibbits

In the "sitting in the pond picture," you can kind of see the comparison with the white to mint green spots. I know it's hard to tell in these pictures. I apologize!

Kurt

Continue the treatments that you are already doing, but I am wondering if it may be a reaction to the bark substrate, as I have never used it with amphibians.

IgbyKibbits

That's what we were thinking too. Whether it was infected, or a reaction, everything else that we have in the tank, we are meticulous about sterilizing! Every month, we pull everything out and sterilize, first with a mild bleach wash, then again with Jurassi Clean and extremely hot water.

Since getting the frogs a year ago, we've used T-Rex Coconut Bark (as a filler), and then topped with T-Rex Jungle Bed. Last time we cleaned (a week ago), we had to use T-Rex Cypress because they were out of Jungle Bed (but we'll get that as soon as it is in). However, he was showing these symptoms/spots before we made the switch.

What do you think? What do you suggest instead? Thanks again! You guys are truly helping me save this frog. I literally had a vet say to me (whom I called describing the problem, and asking if she'd see him), "You are unlikely to find a veterinarian in the Midwest that has seen the specific disease that your pet has given that few owners of amphibians in this area actually take their sick ones to the vet. " : (

So sad!

Wow, I've never seen that before. When you were describing the neon green spots, I thought you meant green blotches on the frogs. I've seen that twice, and each time it seemed to be either stress or a not-quite-so-clean environment. I hope it goes away soon. I would still suggest switching the substrate, but as far as the spots go, I'm no help.
    0.0.1 Polypedates Leucomystax
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor
    0.0.1 Pyxicephalus Adspersus

IgbyKibbits

Some updated news. Kibbits took another long trip to see a different vet today. He just was not responding to the treatment, and not getting better. I can't bare to see him slowly get worse : (

This vet gave him a radiograph (to see if his bloated belly was fluid or air. Thank god it was air in the G.I. tract. That gives a little glimmer of hope that we can get him better). She took him off the treatment that the other vet started him on, and I bit the bullet and paid for two different cultures of his skin. Hopefully, we will get the results soon enough to know exactly what we are combating and how to treat it. She'd not seen these particular spots before either : (

So now we are just doing the antibiotics. She gave him some fluids and helped me try to hand feed him a special little mix. Unfortunately, he was NOT having it. She said that he was the most stubborn little frog that she had seen. At least he has a little bit of fight still left in him.

So, that's the news. It's not good and she said that he looked really sick, but hopefully this new treatment will start to work very soon. We're doing everything we can to save the little guy. When I tried to feed him tonight, he kept swiping the syringe away. Poor little Kibbits!!!

Keep him in your thoughts, and if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it, particularly with the hand feeding. He just will not open his mouth : (

Oh, and last update: I brought Igby in as well to get her checked out (especially since we don't know if what is going on with Kibbits is environmental). She received a perfect bill of health. So that was a bit of good news on such a sad day : (

smt3215

Hey my Whites tree frog recently started to have those green spots appear as well if anyone can help me as to what to do to take care of it that would be a great help. I have read what people have posted above to what they have done but so far that doesn't seem to work so I wasn't sure if there was any new info on what might work thanks. I have included a picture as well so you can see how he looks

IgbyKibbits

Smt3215 -

I looked at your photo and it's so hard to say if it's the same thing as Kibbits because he's so brown usually, that the spots turned up as a sort of mint green, and weren't as "splotchy" as your guy. I don't know if you read my other posts, but besides having spots, Kibbits stopped eating, became extremely lethargic, wanted to stay in the water time, and seemed to be shedding excessively (and not with the normal shedding patterns of WTFs).

If your frog has the same symptoms as mine, I definitely suggest taking him to a vet ASAP. Kibbits went downhill pretty fast. : ( Right now, we are treating him with Baytril Antibiotics (prescribed by the vet), and that seems to be helping, but it's very touch and go.

I will say this though: I had the vet run cultures on his skin to help decipher exactly what it is going on. Those should be back in 5 to 14 days (hopefully, Kibbits can make it that long). I will definitely let you know what I find out.

I have seen White's with splotchy areas before, and I always thought it was due to stress. I had seen them a few times at work. In fact, a very large green splotchy area on Luigi's head is how I named him (It always looked like he was wearing a cap), but a few weeks after I took him home it was completely gone. I have never seen it again. He was also underweight and didn't look the absolute best.

Smt3215-It's hard for me to tell if what I see in your picture is the splotchy areas I had described. And I am not completely sure that it is stress related, and someone may tell me I'm wrong, but from my own experiences, that is my best guess.

IgbyKibbits-I hope Kibbits gets better, and please keep us updated on the cultures.

IgbyKibbits

Thank you! I will definitely post as soon as I hear anything! She said 5 days for one of the cultures, and 14 days for the other! : ( We're going to do everything we can to keep him going until then! Thanks so much for keeping Kibbits in your thoughts : )

He's definitely a little fighter!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I hope it all goes well for Kibbits.

I think with the way you are looking after him and going that extra mile (literally) to ensure he gets all the help he needs. He has the best chance ever and well done to you.

IgbyKibbits

First off - thank you Ebony for your kind words.

We have not gotten the cultures back yet, but today we finally saw some real improvement! His belly looks white again, and tonight when I was giving him his dose of antibiotics, he went after a cricket (unsuccessfully though; the cricket jumped under the sitting pond).

BUT, that's the first time we've seen any hunting behavior from him in over two weeks! It really really gives me hope that we can get him through this waiting period until we definitively know (from the cultures), what is going on. I just hope it's a sign that whatever has made him so ill isn't kidney or liver failure. I would think if it was, we wouldn't see any improvement at all!

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Tonight he was wide-eyed and happily sitting in his pond, constantly turning around to keep a good eye on the baby crickets in his tank. : )

I'm so glad there's improvement. And thanks for keeping us updated. I'm rooting for Kibbits.

Kurt

That is good news.

switchpath

My WTF has recently developed the same exact symptoms as yours along with the mint green spots shown in the picture. I'm really bummed cause I've had him since he was finger nail sized. Did he make a full recovery with the Baytril treatment?

bshmerlie

Its been awhile but if I remember correctly Kibbits did not make it. She had another frog who had the same thing and I think it was diagnosed as Chytrid. If possible take your frog to the vet asap and see if they can test for chytrid. That way you'll know for sure. If you have other frogs be sure to follow strict quarantine and contamination precaution procedures. It takes treatment but your frog should survive if diagnoised properly and treated promptly.

switchpath

Wow thank you for your quick response. That's really sad to hear I was really hopeful that things had turned out well. Unfortunately right now is about the worse time for me financially since the age of 10 so I really can't take him to the vet. I have mixed up the Lamasil solution Kurt has suggested and will be starting the treatment tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers! Its too bad that more often than not we have to confront possible death and many times lose frogs to learn a simple lesson :/

Leefrogs

I had written someone else who's frog had green spots, he was 69efan69. He also wrote responce on my page. Spots could also be just an irritation also. They shed often, if spots stay I'd worry. But do a search on his posts, but I beileive I wrote him cuz thread had no end result/answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information