Thread: How long can Pyxies fast?

Pyxiefan001

Default How long can Pyxies fast?

Been a while since I was last here. . .

It's probably been addressed before but how long can an adult (female) Pyxie go without food while she's ABOVE ground? I'm going to be taking a vacation out of the country for about 10 days and I have entrusted a close friend who lives a few miles away to watch my frog for me - keeping the water fresh, mainly. . .and watching for any poop. Frog's last meal was 20 or so mid-sized Dubia nymphs just yesterday. She's taking a "nap" now. I changed her substrate a few days ago and she has just enough substrate to make herself comfortable, though not to bury herself completely like she frequently does. I want her to know the "sleeping" season is over lol.

Anyway I'll be leaving May 2 and return the 11th. If I feed her one more time before I go will she be fine until I get back or am I going to have to teach my friend, who knows very little about exotics (I'm going to leave him VERY clear instructions on what I want done) how to feed her? My preferred method of feeding is "out-of-cage" feeding - placing her in a bare Sterilite box and then dropping food in front her in other words.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: How long can Pyxies fast?

The longest my pyxie has ever gone without food was 8 days. Fred is a one year-old male, and this was after I had given him a large adult mouse. Really my biggest concern when leaving him was the lack of clean water; Fred (the dummy) thinks his water and the toilet are the same thing, so I tend to put an additional water source in his tank while I'm gone.

I hope this helps!

Thread Information