Thread: Reed frog viv help

kermitlover1989

Default Reed frog viv help

When i first joined frog forum i had planned on turning my 180gallon aquarium into a vertical terrarium for American tree frogs or some other tree frog species, well it cracked so badly it was unfixable.

Since the catastrophic event i have decided to go in a different direction, and instead creat a reed frog habitat. I have seen so much info on building for reed frogs but almost all of what i have encountered says to use faux plants and a few inches oc water and nothing else in the tank. I want more then that. Can anyone suggest a setup for reed frogs that would incorporate living plants? Currently im considering using live aquatic and semi aquatic aquarium plants such as large emmersed amazon swords and possibly anubias as well as pitcher plants and pothos ivy. Any advice is welcome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Reed frog viv help

Reed frogs are adaptable to a several types of enclosures. The setups with fake plants and a few inches of water will work but are meant for making it easier for someone that doesn't want to take the time to design /set up a living enclosure....especially with a water feature. It is also a convenient option for grow out tanks and another option is to have a potted pothos plant instead of the fake plants. They will even do OK in a tank with a bowl of water, but you would make sure to change the water daily as they get the water dirty from entering it at night and also defecating in it periodically.

A viv with living plants and a water feature will be easier to keep clean and the reeds will be happier in (and reproduce in).

For what you want to accomplish, just follow the guidelines of what others do for dart frog vivs and add the water feature.
    The reed frogs will use the entire tank and like to congregate around the water feature at night.

The plants you have listed will work although I'm not experienced with growing pitcher plants in a viv. Having the anubias and pothos growing out of the water feature gives the frogs a place to congregate around the water at night. The tadpoles (and any cherry shrimp if you add) will like the amazon swords , and overall the plants will help keep the water quality in balance.
    Here's some info on carnivorous plants in viv:
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pla...ium-guide.html

Water features can be tricky and you want to make sure that your land portion is above the water so it doesn't wick water and stay soggy...otherwise it will be difficult to grow most plants in the substrate, etc. This is a common first mistake.
    The water should have a filtration set up and the intake a protected one to keep frogs (and tads) from getting stuck in it.

I generally pull my eggs and tadpoles (their clutches are large and the older tadpoles will eat the eggs), but periodically I have frogs morph out in the tank from ones I missed.The tadpoles that are missed/left in the tank will eat dead fruitflies and other debris that is in an established tank and but also can be fed sinking wafers like are used for pleco or shrimp.

BTW , I have a breeding group of eight Starry Night reed frogs avail in the for sale section. They have started calling. Mine usually start breeding in May.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also.

Reeds sometimes like to bask under the light during the daytime so try to design it so there are some taller plants/features that they can do this from.
    the more comfortable they are in the setup the more they will be out during the day...especially if they are fed then.

During the daytime they are mostly higher in the tank. Most set ups used are vertical but a taller horizontal tank will work with plants as mentioned above....vertical tanks give more space for them to hang out above the substrate and more vertical space to see them.

Default Reed frog viv help

Tanks with water features can be as simple or as complex as you choose to make them. A lot will actually depend on how big the tank is, and how big the water feature you want is, especially depth.

As far as plants. There are tons of choices of plants for a reed tank, which is essentially a big tank. Pillularia species (horsetail) of ferns can be used to pull off the reed look. There are also some dwarf cultivars of cat tails and papyrus that would work. As far as pitchers go, are you talking about sarracenia pitchers or nepenthes pitchers? Each have different requirements.

Otherwise, james offered up some excellent advice

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

kermitlover1989

Thank you all for the advice! I have several tanks that are empty at the moment so my mind is running rampant with ideas. My gf isn't thrilled with all the space the empty ones are taking up so i am attempting to do something worthwhile instead of just turning them into planters. So far my thoughts are to place a 10gallone on top of one side of the 20long leaving the set up horizontal, with the remaining portion covered by a screen lid which would allow for ventilation and also maintain great humidity. I have also thought of incorporating a false bottom using egg crate and hiding the filtration behind a smooth rock wall/waterfall feature

Thread Information