Thread: Whites tree frog sexing

Frogger00

Default Whites tree frog sexing

My two whites are confusing me. I've had both for about a year, and originally thought they were females. Then they started croaking, and I thought they must be males. They can get somewhat loud, but it only ever lasts for 3-5 croaks. Their throats don't go balloon, but they do puff slightly. They do not do this often, it's extremely challenging to get them to "talk." They don't have any dark thumb pads. So now after adopting Oliver who has very obvious thumb pads, I'm wondering if they are just chatty girls. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites tree frog sexing

Sounds like you have females. I have three females, two adults and one juvenile. Very randomly and sporadically I will hear squawks and sometimes calls that sound like a male "wok wok wok" and there are never patterns when and how long they call for. The females will call when annoyed from what I've read online or when responding to a male. Also like u said the female throats do not ballon up like the males. My two adults clearly have no thumb pads but again will still call when they feel the time is right. My boyfriend came home last night and said my smallest Misty, who is still in a ten gal quarantine tank was croaking and he sprayed her with some water and she stopped. Sometimes I think they are trying to tell us something and other times I think it's just a personality trait. I had a male for a short time who will call every night around the same time, thorough out the night as well and also in the morning when he saw me walk by his tank. He was about two inches long and had thumb pads and ballooned throat. He would call consistently unlike my females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Snappi13 View Post
    Sounds like you have females. I have three females, two adults and one juvenile. Very randomly and sporadically I will hear squawks and sometimes calls that sound like a male "wok wok wok" and there are never patterns when and how long they call for. The females will call when annoyed from what I've read online or when responding to a male. Also like u said the female throats do not ballon up like the males. My two adults clearly have no thumb pads but again will still call when they feel the time is right. My boyfriend came home last night and said my smallest Misty, who is still in a ten gal quarantine tank was croaking and he sprayed her with some water and she stopped. Sometimes I think they are trying to tell us something and other times I think it's just a personality trait. I had a male for a short time who will call every night around the same time, thorough out the night as well and also in the morning when he saw me walk by his tank. He was about two inches long and had thumb pads and ballooned throat. He would call consistently unlike my females.

Well I guess I do have females, because this almost describes them exactly! The calls and sounds are very random. It seems they are either annoyed, hungry, or they just want to talk lol. They often will croak at the water bottle, and then it usually results with a frog trying to eat the nozzle... I picked up one very obvious male (see thread "Olive!") whom I thought was female because of his size, but then I looked at his thumbs and there is no way he's a girl. No croaking yet, he just sleeps day and night. Very stressed after only two days! But he did soak in his dish and take a poop, so I'm satisfied.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Olive will come around and my girls try and eat the water bottle spray when there hungry. Kinda comical. I haven't yet had a squawk at the water bottle but there's plenty of time for that I'm sure. My smallest just started trying to attack the sprayer haha. Mine def squawk if I take too long to get the food ready sometimes.

Stephanie

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Snappi13 View Post
    Olive will come around and my girls try and eat the water bottle spray when there hungry. Kinda comical. I haven't yet had a squawk at the water bottle but there's plenty of time for that I'm sure. My smallest just started trying to attack the sprayer haha. Mine def squawk if I take too long to get the food ready sometimes.

Olive is now Oliver lol! Is it just me or are the females absolute pigs? Always hungry, and they just lunge at anything that moves! In fact, here's a funny pic of Betty trying to eat my finger:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nope. Two of my three females are always hungry. I have one who won't eat more than 4 or 5 crickets in a sitting. But she(pickles) has always been kinda finicky like that. Houdini on he her hand has gotten hold of my finger on numerous occasions and didn't want to let go. So I think it mostly depends on the personality of the specific frog. Houdini is currently on a diet lol and Misty is on a see food diet.

Stephanie

Thread Information