Thread: Wild Caught Frogs 👎

threetreefrogs

Default Wild Caught Frogs 👎

Since coming here with my first concern, I've learned that the place I purchased my three RETFs is not reputable, and probably sold me wild-caught frogs rather than captive bred, like I thought I was purchasing. One died of an infection 8 days after receiving them, the second died after 17 days of and no eating regardless of the many interventions I tried, and the third is on the brink, in spite of eating and behaving normally (for the most part). It has been a very stressful, helpless, painful 3+ weeks. I'm just wondering if this is a common outcome for adult wild-caught frogs. I took time to research and learn about their care before jumping in, and even have the first-aid kit form Dr. Frye. I also want to know if I should give baby captive-born frogs from a reputable dealer, or hang up my newest hobby. I really appreciate any and all input.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Wild Caught Frogs 👎

WC Frogs are a challenge sometimes. When dealing with WC Frogs or Newly acquired frogs you should have a temp quarantine setup for each frog you acquire. A "QT" tank is typically unprinted paper towels Dampened with Distilled water. Plant clipping (pothos is a good one for this), water bowl for soaking (for tree frogs, toads, or Packman Frogs). The frogs will live here for the next 30 Days. During this time you can observer them eating, make sure there poop is well formed. You will also want to collect a poop sample and send it off to be tested for parasites (very important when dealing with WC frogs!). After 30 days they can be introduced into their permanent tank and each other.

One added benefit to the 30day QT is it gives your tank (which should be ready in advance of the frogs) time settle in. Gives you time to dial in the temps and humidity and the plants and micro fauna time to get good and established.

For your last remaining frog I would move them to a QT tank ASAP. The other frogs could and most likely have had parasites. Send a fecal sample out as soon as you can. You will most likely end up with a positive result. You can then order the meds needed and treat the frog. Might even be able to save this one. If you wish to purchase new frogs they can be added in with this one after their 30 day QT period and if you buy babies you want to wait to add them in until they are big enough to not be food for the older frog.

Frogs can live in a QT Tank for a long while. One of our Mods had her frogs in QT for 2+ years! So dont be worried about a longer stay if it is needed.

Good luck!

Paul
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

threetreefrogs

Thank you for taking your time to reply. Overall, I have not found this forum to be overly helpful, so I really appreciate the few who take the time to respond. I haven't given up, yet, but this is so incredibly stressful and sad. When I purchased my frogs, I wanted specific genders. I ordered CB babies, but stated that I didn't mind having slightly older ones if it guaranteed their gender. I did not realize that would also mean wild caught. I am just sick.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I am sorry you haven't found the forum helpful. We do our best to be as helpful as we can.

It is typically hard to sex most frogs until they reach maturity which can be between 1.5 and 2 years old for most frogs.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Thread Information