Thread: Running in a tank?

BigBruiserAl

Default Running in a tank?

Hi All

I have just built my 1st tank ill post some pics in a bit. Now how long should leave it before adding frogs?
    Also i would like to add some caretakers to the soil..do i just buy a tub of springtails and let them loose and let them get on with it?

Very basic tank....have a exo waterfall to add and there water bowl

Last edited by BigBruiserAl; July 11th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

CrazyAirborne

Default Re: Running in a tank?

thats cool, i like the background!

Kurt

The frogs could go in now.

bshmerlie

What kind of frogs are you putting in it?

BigBruiserAl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The frogs could go in now.
    Ah great i have been reading that some people leave the tank for a month before putting in frogs....thought it was a bit exessive

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    What kind of frogs are you putting in it?
    I really want RETF but being my first tank i have decide to play safe and go for 3 baby whites.

I will add some more branches as they get bigger, the tank sits at 28c in the day and drops to 22c a night the Humidity is staying at 60%

Any comment of the spingtails or should i not bother with them?

bshmerlie

Red Eyed Leaf Frogs are not hard to keep. They were my first frogs and I've never had any trouble keeping them. I buy only captive bred from a reputable dealer and montior their humidity and temps daily and I've only had healthy frogs. I'm not saying that Whites aren't a good first frog, they are. But don't avoid getting what you really want because you're afraid they are delicate. I think they are only considered delicate becuase they are more suseptable to neglect. If you are a responsible "parent" and will monitor their requirements daily they will provide you with years of health and happiness. Although they would probably prefer more leafy plants than what you currently have in there but that is an easy fix. I have the normal Red Eyes and also the Albino and Xanthic versions and they have never given me any trouble.

BigBruiserAl

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Snip
    Your right and funny enough my wife said the same thing. Although i like whites it was the RETF the 1st got my attention, problem is cant find them in the uk. My local shop has just got some Bumble bee toad's in and i would be happy with them...at $60 each i will only get 4 for now.

Now im 90% done with the tank. Will add 1 more smll plant on the left and healthy dose of moss next week.
    My temps have settled a 27c but my humidity wont go above 45% does that not seem odd with this set up...was trying to avoid misting the tank hence the waterfall

Kurt

Bumble bee toads rock! (I can't believe I just said that.) However they are a different ball game then red-eyes. I know, because I have both species. The tank you have seem more suited for a treefrog more than a toad. Bumble bee toads could live in it, but there definitely would be some wasted spaces here and there.

One thing the Melanophryniscus stelzneri has over Agalychnis callidryas is that they are diurnal, whilst the latter is strictly nocturnal. Something to think about.

BigBruiserAl

Just checked my pet shop they are Melanophryniscus stelzneri in stock they have 4 $240 owch. The more i read the more i like them...what could i do to improve the tank for them? Just read the care sheet and temps are fine but my humidity is 45% at the mo

Kurt

Placing plate glass on top of the mess top will cut off some ventilation and increase humidity. I think the stelzneri will be fine in the tank as is, they just are not likely to use all of it. You will need to place some fine mesh over the ventilation plate to prevent fruit fly escape. John recently wrote up a few things on making these types of cages fruit fly escape proof in the NEFG.

BigBruiserAl

Thanks for help kurt just checked the tank since turing of the lighting humidity has gone up to 55% so far. Not fussed about the tank being big for them im more interested in them being happy then be able to see them.

Kurt

Well, you won't see them for a few weeks after you put them in. They will hide a lot until they feel comfortable. Mine hid in the leaf litter for the first few weeks, but now I see them quite frequently, especially at diner time!

If you do get them, remember they are most likely wild caught and should be treated for gastrointestinal parasites by a qualified veterinarian or an advanced hobbyist. A vet would be better.

My bumble bee tank is at 80% humidity.

BigBruiserAl

Thanks again went saw them they are far to small for the tank i see what you meant now. Back to the start in choosing a breed and the humidity wont over 60% night time and 40% day time so i need to try find a way to up it

bshmerlie

You can either mist them once or twice daily or purchase a reptifogger from zoo med and they run about $50 dollars. Also check your guage. Sometimes those cheap gauges don't measure accurately. I think the digital ones are more precise. You can set the fogger on a timer to come on as often as you would need to keep your humidity where you want it.

BigBruiserAl

Thanks mate i might get a fogger, as you can see i have a large exo waterfall they have space for a foogger inside...was kinda trying to avoid misting as sometimes im away for 2 days....i just would have thought with a huge water fall, live plants , moss and water dish i would get more then 40% day time

bshmerlie

Just be aware that the foggers in the waterfalls would be on all the time unless you put it on a timer and I have found that you have to add water to the waterfall daily or it will run dry. I suppose it would depend on how dry your climate is to begin with would determine how much water you would have to add every day. I had one of those little foggers when I first started and eventually dumped it and got a Reptifogger which has a built in water reservoir.

BigBruiserAl

dam it well spotted + rep....now looking at the repti fogger as it can go under the tank cabinet sigh so much hassle

bshmerlie

The Repti foggers are very low maintenance and I live in a very dry climate (okay I admit it I live in a desert) and I only have to refill it once a week.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruiserAl View Post
    Thanks again went saw them they are far to small for the tank i see what you meant now. Back to the start in choosing a breed and the humidity wont over 60% night time and 40% day time so i need to try find a way to up it
    Please don't use the word breed unless it's used as a verb, i.e., "I breed red-eyes". We are basically talking about wild animals here, so the word to use is species or subspecies. Breeds are domestic animals and they're boring.

Sorry its just a pet peeve of mine. No pun intended. Its like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

Thread Information