Thread: Who can help with some PCF breeding questions?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Who can help with some PCF breeding questions?

An elusive blue color morph exists in Pacific chorus frogs that I'm interested in. I know very little about frog breeding, and breeding for color and patterns, so I'm hoping someone can share some knowledge with me.

From what I understand it all has to do with recessive genes, and if that gene is present in the breeding pair. I also know that PCF's color can be somewhat random, so trying for a specific color will be difficult.

Currently, I have what I believe are two female PCF's. They are about 10 months OOW, and no calling or indications of male activity. One is brown with almost a copper sheen to her. The other is green with grey accents in her sides. Recently, the green frog has started changing colors and is showing some slightly green-blue hues. I know this is nothing definitive, but it may be that she carries that blue gene.

IF she just happened to carry the recessive gene, what color male could potentially help make the offspring come out with a greenish-bluish color?

Let's pretend I find a bright green male. They have some green froglets with some blue hues to them. What's the next step? Breed m/f from same clutch and see how the next generation comes out?

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated! Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Who can help with some PCF breeding questions?

Quote Originally Posted by AbranV View Post
    An elusive blue color morph exists in Pacific chorus frogs that I'm interested in. I know very little about frog breeding, and breeding for color and patterns, so I'm hoping someone can share some knowledge with me.

From what I understand it all has to do with recessive genes, and if that gene is present in the breeding pair. I also know that PCF's color can be somewhat random, so trying for a specific color will be difficult.

Currently, I have what I believe are two female PCF's. They are about 10 months OOW, and no calling or indications of male activity. One is brown with almost a copper sheen to her. The other is green with grey accents in her sides. Recently, the green frog has started changing colors and is showing some slightly green-blue hues. I know this is nothing definitive, but it may be that she carries that blue gene.

IF she just happened to carry the recessive gene, what color male could potentially help make the offspring come out with a greenish-bluish color?

Let's pretend I find a bright green male. They have some green froglets with some blue hues to them. What's the next step? Breed m/f from same clutch and see how the next generation comes out?

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated! Thanks
    Any luck?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't think it's a "blue gene" that could be passed down/inherited, I think it's a mutated gene where the production of yellow skin pigment does not work, so instead of blue and yellow making geen hues, it just has the blue coloration. If this is the case it would be very rare. I'll look it up to make sure and see if I can find anything.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Nationality
    [United States]

1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Thanks. I vaguely remember seeing it but it still leaves more research to be done. Most articles refer to that one specimen in Humboldt and it's been a while since anyone has mentioned another one.

It makes sense that it'll be rare though. There aren't a lot of blue poisonous animals here for predators to really correlate the two so a blue frog would be easy pickings.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thread Information