Thread: mourning geckos with RETF?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default mourning geckos with RETF?

I've heard that mourning geckos are compatible with dart frogs and am wondering if they are compatible with red eyed tree frogs? I'm generally not in favor of putting different species together, but would consider trying this if it's been known to work out.

Aliza

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: mourning geckos with RETF?

I would strongly advise against mixing these species. Mixing species in general is a very bad idea. Occasionally you'll hear of a case where someone says the different species cohabitate peacefully, but just because something works for a little while doesn't mean that it will keep working. Most mixed species tanks end badly, and quite frankly it just isn't worth the risk.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default mourning geckos with RETF?

I would go with what crispy 42 says, it's not a good idea to mix species. A lot of planning, time, studying, Hardworking, asking experts, and keeping each species goes into a mixed Vivarium so you know what your doing. I knew with my Leopard Frog and American Toad Vivarium it's at my own risk. I had both species in the past so I felt confident about it. I also asked a biologist about it to double check. The two species I have are found in the same geographic region, (actually found in the same ponds breeding) which is important in various reasons, for example: the species has interaction in the wild with each other and are exposed to the same environment. Mine can cohabitate because they are also of similar size and have different needs and stick to them (container of water for the frog, dry side for the toad). I tend to see them together a lot also so depending on the size tank you are thinking of, they will come into contact since they are both arboreal. Not to sure how big the RETF will get but it could possibly eat the Gecko. It's your decision in the end. I know if it was something I wanted to do I would be on the internet everyday until I came to a conclusion on weather I can provide time, love, food, and more then the minimum space for the species I was going to use. Hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the responses. It was just a thought. I've recommended against it to people wanting to keep different gecko species together and I'm still finding my way with the frogs.

Aliza

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Jesus H Popsicle.... i should keep this on my clipboard...

NO!! Please!

Natural food chain, eating pecking order, normal pecking order, size difference, parasite/germ transfer between species will kill everything. Frogs, especially Red Eyes are tender and moist skinned as it is.... Just an all around no no.

Even for a pro grade keeper its a daunting task yo. We keep a few anoles and long tail together, and that damn tank is the biggest pain... Cleaning, feeding different things to the different species, fights, the poop, dear god the poop(main germ n sickness source). Its a daily morning and night clean. Their routines, personality clashes, where they like to hide or hang out... The amount of time just setting up and providing what they need would blow your mind, then health research for both types, ever try to ask a herp vet to see an anole??? They laugh... Now, ooooooh, now theyre all breeding.... anoles drop n go, long tails are paternal to a degree.... So, didnt see that coming, after a few years to boot...

Weve been considering separating the 2 species into their own homes. (They share a 55) because after 3 years... well ive almost scrubbed the finish off the glass....

Then theres temp humidity issues. That 5degree difference they animals need can mean your pets life, same with the humidity...

"Yeah i have a mixed viv!"

Ok cool 1thing in there was supposed to live 10years the other say 15years.

All of it was dead in 3-5.... So, while trying not to be a dick, please please please do not. Ive seen so so many horror stories... Like i said weve kept glass tank babies of all kind for a long time, so please at least google into health issues with mixing species...
    Last edited by Krispy; April 12th, 2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: cell phone grammar

Nationality
    [United States]

OK, got it.

Aliza

Thread Information