Thread: Under Tank Heater Issues. Help Is Appreciated!!!

Daniel Ward

Default Under Tank Heater Issues. Help Is Appreciated!!!

Okay so my mom bought me an under tank heater while I was at work for my pacman frogs tank. We are having a hard time keeping heat in his tank because it is an exoterra mini-tall. I guess the bulb is too high up and won't move the temperature abouve 70. So I unwrap the package, pull off the paper and stick the heater to the tank only to notice it won't stick. Like it is not sticky at all. So I grab the paper and the sticky adhesive thin layer is still on the paper. I tried ever so slightly to remove it and like saran wrap it just crinkled up. So I am left hold what looks like a wrapped up condom in my hand and decide to give one more thing a try. I pull it into four pieces and put on each side and then place it on the tank as seen below. My question is will that mess up my tank? Will it make it over heat since the sticky layer wasn't applied right. Most importantly will my frog be safe?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Under Tank Heater Issues. Help Is Appreciated!!!

I would personally just bring the thing back and ask for a new one. And if its not sticking properly I would be more worried that it isn't going to heat up the tank to its potential.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Agree with Cory, I would also worry about potential fire too. that's a reason these heat pads can't be reused. Once upon a time I as thinking its a bs and everybody who says that are just paranoid.... Until it almost killed ones of my snakes and only pure luck prevented having a fire and losing everything. So nope you don't want risk it.

Infrared lamps are coming in min. 50w, it's more then enough to heat up the mini tall tank, actually you better have a dimmer or controller to prevent overheating
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Daniel Ward

Went back to my room an hour later the piece of **** thing and fallen off and I expected it to be hot on the floor. Nope, cold as ice. Taking it back and getting my money back. If they don't have any 50 watt lamps I am sure my Jabba will be okay in 70 ish temperatures. He is actually buried under his substrate which is pretty moist and I would assume cold to him.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They burrow to cool down. We keep our pacs at about 75-78. No side heat. Actually, i mean we hung a single 10inch dome with dimmer and a 60w. Its hardly ever on, but does the trick on a cold night.

Sounds like you got sold someones returned item...

Thread Information