Thread: Wanted to share some cute!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Wanted to share some cute!

Since there have been some issues uploading pictures I am giving a Photobucket Story a try to share some pictures. So if it's not working right let me know.

I've had Pickle for about 5 months now and he has been awesome! It's so much fun to watch him grow. He is about 8 or 9 months old now, I think, when I got him they said he was a few months old. While you are admiring how cute he is, if you would be able to venture a guess on sex (I know still a bit early) and age? Also, if you think he looks healthy. I feed him every 3-4 days and he is only eating 2-3 "large" earthworms at a time. I tried feeding him in his tank in an effort to handle him less but he has terrible aim and ended up eating a lot of coconut fiber so I went back to the bin feedings. Plus this gives me time to mix up his substrate, change the water (changed everyday), and all that without him in there.

Also, I have noticed there are some little fruit fly looking guys in his tank. They fly up and sometimes out when I mist his tank. I'm assuming the best way to get rid of them is a full substrate change (which should be coming up), but how can I keep them from coming back? I use the coco fibre that comes in the bricks that have to be soaked.

Pickle Story by lexus465 | Photobucket

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Wanted to share some cute!

What a cute frog! Thanks for sharing!

Those fruit flies might be fungus gnats that appear when there is fungi, algae, and/or plant roots in the soil. Only the larvae eat, the adult gnats are harmless but can get annoying in large quantity. Make sure to check your substrate regularly for any signs of fungi or algae. At the first sign of any of these, change the substrate completely. I've seen these guys come from the moss covering the dirt of my house plants where they kept the soil under always moist. I stopped using moss completely after that. Also check around your home for any pots, plants, food, water, walls (under sinks, in bathrooms, any place that may store a lot of humidity and moisture. If on walls, call a professional to help as that is a serious health risk) that may have mold, fungi, or algae as this would just bring more flies that can get into your frog's habitat. It would also help to research what species of fly it is to determine how they come about and how to get rid of them.

Hope this helps!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the advice! I do have a good number of plants in the house so that might be where they are coming from. Once I change his substrate I'll see if I can get rid of them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

When you change his substrate, you may want to set some fruit fly traps up around the house (not in the tank) so that they don't infest it again. You can use a cup with a little apple cider vinegar in it and a drop of dish soap. Cover it with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubberband. Then poke holes in the top big enough for them to get inside. Usually they drown before they make it back out. We had a bad infestation last summer. They got in my house plants and my tanks and it was just very unpleasant. Those traps ended up working out great. Also, make sure all your drains are clear of any sludge. I've heard they'll breed in there!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Another trap that works is put some type of alcohol drink (wiskey, beer,ect.) in a small dish and set it where it will not spill and no animals can get it. the fies will drown in it

Nationality
    [United States]

Be careful when using Lots of moss substrate, i am saying this because when i had my Little guy in his "vivarium" it had appeared that mold had been growing, so as soon as i had seen this i had bought a fresh brick of Eco earth and Changed his/her(dont know the sex) water bowl because mold tends to stay in the tank. This might not happen to you just giving a warning

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the great tips! I noticed when watering my house plants that a few flew up from the soil so I will likely be setting quite a few traps.

As as for the moss I wasn't too impressed with it. It didn't really help the humidity like I had hoped and it ended up getting mixed in with the rest of the substrate so I won't be replacing it when I do the change next weekend.

Thread Information