Thread: Gum leaves ok for leaf litter?

brookie

Default Gum leaves ok for leaf litter?

Hi i wanted to find out if anyone have used gum leaves as leaf litter for their viv. I normally only use cocopeat with a layer of sphagnum moss over the top but my plants die fast im guessing because their is no nourishment in the cocopeat. I wanted to re do the tank and add more stuff in the mix to make it more ok for plants. My idea is i have a fallen down gum tree down the back and i am thinking of boiling a bunch of the leaves and adding them. but i'm worried about if they will harm my frogs as i have a naturalistic viv with clay beads at bottom the water layer goes through the entire bottom so what ever comes off the dirt layer does effect the water. I have Australian frogs so i'm guessing it should be ok but i still would like to see what others think.

if they are ok, in the future i am going to get a kind of compost mix happening with some gum leaves cocopeat, sphagnum moss, and i'm thinking about adding some grated carrot and putting some worms in the mix, maybe a little grass trimming and lettice. and let it all break down and compost a little so i can add it at a later date for my plants. Has anyone done such a thing?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gum leaves ok for leaf litter?

Gum leaves are non toxic but will break down and/or mold fairly quickly because they are a "soft" leaf. If you use a quality soil mix to start with, you will not need compost. Here is a good thread for making your own - http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...al-plants.html
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

The gum leaves will probably be ok, provided they are dried and processed correctly. I am not familiar enough with Aussie flora to definitely say yes or no.

Compost wouldn't be wise. For one, it doesn't drain well and will just compact on you over time. Also, it would need to be a 'sterile' compost, to avoid introducing any bad bacteria and/or pests into the Viv. IMHO, it's just not worth the risk.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

brookie

oh also i wanted to ask about if people use seachem's flourish and if it hurts frogs? because my frogs spend tons of time in the water and anything that goes through the substrate also goes in the water i wanted to see what others think about using it, I don't want to hurt the frogs.

also does anyone know the names of some semi submersible water plants that go ok in terrarium, Id like to plant out a little of the water area also.

brookie

ye im just trying to come up with a way to feed the plants a little, i really enjoy the just cocopeat mix with the moss but the plants need a little more stuff to eat. thanks for the reply's

Flourish is fine. I used it for years before I switched brands. You only need a few drops in a misting bottle.

There are plenty of semi emersed plants you can use. A lot depends on availability to you. I know Australia has some pretty tough import laws. One of my favorites for emersed growing would be the cryptocoryne genus. Any of them will grow partially submerged and do not require a lot of light. Dwarf saggitaria (saggitaria subulata) is a nice grassy looking plant that will grow partially submerged.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

I use Seachem all the time. No problem with using it.

brookie

thankyou very much for the info. I start my rebuild today am quite excited. I plan to change from a half half water tank to a more v shape water section at the front and 2 land mass , I guess i will see if it seems to work when i pull it to bits, If not i will just go back to same kind of thing i have atm cause its worked out great.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wait, if by "gum" you mean "eucalyptus" I'd think the leaves oils might hurt the frogs. as an American I immediately thought "sweetgum/ liquidambar" maybe some other people here did too.

Boiling would probably take a lot of the oils out but I'm not sure that I'd risk oils leaching out into the water.

Spending time in a gum tree wouldn't harm a frog at all, but it's different in a tank where they live with the same environment 24/7.

Thread Information