Thread: Baby Frog Croaking?

Danielle Mammano

Default Baby Frog Croaking?

Hello guys!

It's been a while. I used to keep Pac-Mans, but after my second oldest followed his mate to the other side (right in my hands, even ) I took a hiatus from frogs for a bit. I happened upon a little pet shop and found myself with a dilemma: Get the adorable, tiny timid pac-man or the vicious attacking-my-finger-through-the-glass baby Pixie frog. I've always wanted one of these babies, and this little dude just had too much spunk for me to say no. He's been THRIVING. He is a total eating machine and I've never had to clean so much poop in my life.

I had originally assumed I'd need to play the waiting game to see if I'd hit the jackpot of having a male. Their massive size is just too much - I've always wanted a big, fat, grumpy frog, so my fingers have been crossed.

He's been croaking! Usually real late at night, or early in the morning - but he starts off with a little squeak like he's warming up and then usually gives one good bark before settling down again.

He can't be more than 2-3" long! Here he/she is: http://i.imgur.com/dEjMLd8.jpg

My question is:

Can any gender make noises like this, or do I have a male on my hands? I didn't think he would start making noise until he was at least a juvenile. At first I thought I was going crazy, but I absolutely clearly heard him the other morning. He's so dang cute.

He also eats like I never feed him. How do I know when he's done? >_>. I usually give him like 5-7 red wigglers (they're so small but he's not big enough for nightcrawlers yet), but less than 5 if I throw in a few waxworms (usually do this every few days). Every 10 days or so I give him a pinkie - this is what the pet store owner said to do as they have high calcium requirements apparently. I have been thinking of giving him a pinkie once a month though and trying out dusted crickets - thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Baby Frog Croaking?

Only the makes bark to my best research. But their is a big question I have how often are you using frozen mice? If its more then every 5 weeks be very careful their extremely high in fat and can do kidney damage. In stead of red wigglers I recommended other grubs rw's can rob the frogs of trace minerals not bad as a treat but as a staple calciworms(soldier fly larvae sold at petco) waxworms, and crickets that are gut loaded would be a better safe bet. Other then those few concerns I think the pixie frog is reaching a young maturity level unless maybe you got a dwarf pixie which maxes out in males around 4.5" and is coming into barking due to proper conditioning.

Thread Information