Thread: shorter life spans?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default shorter life spans?

I am considering getting a single pet, I have no idea what yet but any possibilities will be researched.

I am considered arboreal frogs ( though semi aquatic and terrestrial aren't out of the question) the "problem" is they all live 15 or more years and I don't want to jump in with something so long lived.
    Fuzzy Family-
    1.0.0- Shih- Tsu/ Poodle x Toy Fox terrier : Ryli
    0.1.0- Domestic Short Hair - Emma

Reptiles-
    1.0.0- Eastern Painted Turtle- Nemo
    1.0.0- False Map Turtle- Ollie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BrittsBugs

Well, technically almost every herp option lives 10, 15, 20, or more years. But sometimes they can pass away due to unforeseen circumstances. When considering a pet. Also consider the upkeep of vet bills should they get sick or develop tumor, etc.

-BrittsBugs
    Reptile & Amphibian Enthusiast
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Pets: 6 AUS WTF's, 1 Hon Milk, 1 SM Corn, 1 BP, 5 H.Crabs, 1 C.Gecko, 4 RB Newts, 6 Betas, 5 MH Roaches, 1 L.Gecko, 1 W.Hognose, & so much more

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: shorter life spans?

I know that's why I am here looking for options

I always consider care, upkeep, vets etc.

How often can you find older amphibians at shows?
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

BrittsBugs

I've never seen any amphibians that are older sell be it reptile trade shows, or even a local breeder shop. Typically the goal is to sell the most recent froglets, that are old enough to be safely sold to a owner. Typically around 2-3 months old. The oldest I've seen is often actually a petco animal. And after so long they are put on sale, but petco animals are typically sick, dying, have an illness that isn't physically apparent. Such as intestinal parasites, worms in the feces, etc.

-BrittsBugs
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Pets: 6 AUS WTF's, 1 Hon Milk, 1 SM Corn, 1 BP, 5 H.Crabs, 1 C.Gecko, 4 RB Newts, 6 Betas, 5 MH Roaches, 1 L.Gecko, 1 W.Hognose, & so much more

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well it was worth a shot, I figured it would be a long shot.
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

BrittsBugs

You can always try facebook groups though. Some small time breeders have hold backs they later sell after a few successful breeding seasons. And some wait much longer then 2-3 months before selling their froglets. (: It might be a long shot, but it's worth a try.

-BrittsBugs
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
    I am considering getting a single pet, I have no idea what yet but any possibilities will be researched.

I am considered arboreal frogs ( though semi aquatic and terrestrial aren't out of the question) the "problem" is they all live 15 or more years and I don't want to jump in with something so long lived.
    I don't mean to sound brusque-- no, that's not true, I do, because truthfully I am really dumbfounded by your statement. What do you mean by you don't want to "jump in with something so long lived"? How is that a "problem"? If you do not wish to have the responsibility or upkeep of such a long lived creature then I suggest you avoid herps all together and go with a mouse or a hamster... or better yet a pet rock. They live forever but require nothing from you in order to keep them alive for any period of time whatsoever.

Stepping out now...
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You take my statement the wrong way. I don't mind caring for pets in fact I love it, but I want to ensure its the right animal for me, I hate to have to rehome any animal and committing to something for 15 years is a big step if its not the right animal for you.

I have a dog and cat and two turtles, longevity doesn't scare me, I had experience with these animals prior to adopting my own though.
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

There are tree frogs that don't have 15+ year lifespans, but even with these species there is always the possibility that you'll get a super healthy/lucky frog that will live to 10 years or so. I'd recommend some research into cuban tree frogs, red eyed tree frogs, and american green tree frogs. Their average lifespans typically fall quite short of 15 (or even 10) years, but you should be prepared for the possibility of a longer than average lifespan.

As for finding older frogs, I'd check craigslist to see if anyone is trying to rehome an adult frog, and check pet stores because sometimes they'll take in adult frogs that owners have grown tired of. Often parents get the pet for their kid and then the kid loses interest after a while. You can also call around to local animal rescues or shelters on the off chance that they have any abandoned frogs.

edit: tomato frogs also have a (relatively) shorter lifespan, but I don't know much about their care to know if they're a good species for you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You take my statement the wrong way. I don't mind caring for pets in fact I love it, but I want to ensure its the right animal for me, I hate to have to rehome any animal and committing to something for 15 years is a big step if its not the right animal for you.

I have a dog and cat and two turtles, longevity doesn't scare me, I had experience with these animals prior to adopting my own though.
    I've had to fight hard to get my frog kids well and keep them alive, so it just rubbed me the wrong way to read that. I figure if someone's into frogs they'll be REALLY into frogs and know it's the right animal for them from the get go (our current MOTM, Eli, is one exception to that rule, he originally hated frogs but eventually came to love them) and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep them successfully, for however long they live. If you have to consider really hard whether or not a frog will be right for you under those circumstances then perhaps it's not... you know?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You made this post sound like you'd never had a frog of any kind, but after perusing your profile and past posts I find you had a Pacman a year ago and had a Northern green frog, ACFs, ADFs, an Axolotl, and apparently some newts and salamanders... where are they now?? You've been asking the same questions here for years, so this is nothing new; you've had frogs and they didn't make it, for whatever reason, regardless of all the research and etc. you've done. Seriously, please consider NOT getting another frog if this is just going to keep repeating over and over again... I'm not trying to be mean, just calling it as I have seen it from your past posts.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The adf and pacman are the only ones who didn't make it, adf just seem to not have very good genetics here and my pacman ... I didn't know my house was too cold until it was too late.

The salamanders and newts I couldn't find small enough food items for so I sent them to more experienced homes so my ignorance and inexperience wouldn't harm them.

The ACF ... I don't remember why now but they had to be rehomed as well.

Natsu my axolotl I miss every day ... I would love to have been able to keep her but last summer my home got too warm and I decided to give her to a breeder who had the resources to keep her in the 50 degree water she truly needed.

I have never had a northern green frog.

Like I said ... I hate rehoming and dont want to make another mistake. Thanks for dragging up a painful past. We have all made mistakes and I have made many.

Actually I remember now why I had to regime the acf ... Wonderful pets but a chytrid risk and I had natsu at the time ... One little mix up ( a wrong bucket water changer etc) could have caused big issues
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I tend to not post my entire life online so there is a lot you wont see.
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The adf and pacman are the only ones who didn't make it, adf just seem to not have very good genetics here and my pacman ... I didn't know my house was too cold until it was too late.

The salamanders and newts I couldn't find small enough food items for so I sent them to more experienced homes so my ignorance and inexperience wouldn't harm them.

Natsu my axolotl I miss every day ... I would love to have been able to keep her but last summer my home got too warm and I decided to give her to a breeder who had the resources to keep her in the 50 degree water she truly needed.

Like I said ... I hate rehoming and dont want to make another mistake. Thanks for dragging up a painful past. We have all made mistakes and I have made many.

Actually I remember now why I had to regime the acf ... Wonderful pets but a chytrid risk and I had natsu at the time ... One little mix up ( a wrong bucket water changer etc) could have caused big issues
    Oh, really. http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/29522...frog-care.html
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh...? Whatever you decided he was called, what happened to him??

http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/29522...frog-care.html

May 21st, 2014
    Northern Green Frog Care?

I got a frog today on impulse ( something I have not done in a very long time), It was ID'd as a Northenr Green Frog on another thread, I will post pictures to be sure though.

I have a couple questions, I read the leopard frog caresheet because one thread said that was similar but I want to be sure thats true. Also I need to know the proper water depth.

Also can corydoras live with a frog? If they can this would allow my one little baby to have a 20 long. Otherwise I will have to pick up a 10 gallon from my friend.

---
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...kind-frog.html

May 21st, 2014
    what kind of frog?

They had these frogs at my local pet store and on an impulse I got one.

My tablet won't connect to my camera. So I will just have to describe it. The top of the body is the same colors as an African dwarf frog. Its not an African clawed but the eyes are on top, only back feet are webbed and it has a white under body. It was sold as a fat something frog.

---

http://www.frogforum.net/other-frogs...ing-frogs.html

May 22, 2014
    Asian Floating frogs?

I got this little guy on an impulse. Its been confirmed as a Asian Floating frog. I have read this care sheet Captive Care of the Asian Floating Frog

Now according to that sheet they need 16 sq inches each. I would like to go pick up two more from the store. However first I will be getting a proper terrarium. an 8x8x8 offers 64 sq inches of floor space. This would be a bit over the minimum and these terrariums do hold water.

would this be ok? they max at 2 inches. I may be able to get a 12x12x12 but with space limitations the less smaller terrarium the better.

Lady, please stop buying frogs on impulse and having them die or having to keep rehoming them... just stop! I'm done, let someone else deal with you.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh the asian floating frog AKA puddle frog .. they were ID'd wrong they were not Northern frogs at all ... thats why I didn't understand.

A friend fell in love with them and adopted them from me.

Yes maybe amphibians are not the pets for me... Especially frogs, but As long as I don't get anything on an impulse again there is no harm in just looking.
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Puddle Frog - EchoHealthy Pets

Look the frog was a MAYBE anyway ... I like to look at them but the only ones I found fun to keep were the ACF ... I came back here thinking MAYBE I had missed something, maybe there was a species for me, ANd maybe there isnt.

And Like my statements said ... The ONLY one on an impulse were the asian floating frogs.

A person can do a lot of growing and learning in a year.

I do hope you have a happy easter and learn to not judge people Now I have two turtles who need my attention I have to go.
    Fuzzy Family-

Reptiles-

Thread Information