Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help: Injured Bullfrog Care

Pleasantly

Default Re: Help: Injured Bullfrog Care

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Sorry I missed this thread, but what a great story .

Survivor Pickle Banjo is looking so much better . Great job!

I do believe his toe will shrivel up and possible fall off. You're doing a great job of keeping it clean. Congrats!

You are correct... Your frog is an adorable male Northern green, aka Rana/Lithobates clamitans .

I do have a recommendation for you if you build him a water area... and that is that you add a really good water filter, such as a turtle filter or canister filter. Water frogs tend to pass urine and feces in their pond. You will still need to do water changes, but a filter will do wonders.

Another great idea is to have a side wall of the glass near the pond drilled... As in, have a small hole drilled into the glass and add a spigot. It is not necessary, but makes water changes so easy .

Supplememts you'll need if you decide to keep him as an "indoor" frog:

1. Calcium with vitamin D3. In captivity, crickets and insects in the captive frogs' diet lack calcium and lack of sunlight limits the vitamin D3, which helps them to properly absorb the calcium. Without calcium/D3, all captive "indoor" frogs will develop metabolic bone disease. It's as easy as adding a light dusting of the powdered supplement to his crickets every other day. I like Repcal, but there are other brands as well. The supplement should be phosphorus-free.

2. Amphibian multivitamin. My favorite is Repashy calcium plus. It is given in the same way with a light dusting on his crickets one day a week. In some cases, two days a week is preferred. Without the MVI he will develop nutritional deficiencies.

I tend to feed over a non-water area to limit the amount of supplements that may get into their water area.

Thank you. I still need to pick these up for him. Currently, I've been feeding the crickets food that is made for them with calcium and D3 added to it. I don't know how well that works though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Help: Injured Bullfrog Care

Prob helps a little, but he'll need a bit more .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Pleasantly

The Panacur came and I began treatment today while he's in the temp "tank". I removed the rocks and plant I had in there with him and sanitized the rocks. I removed the plant altogether because I assume it's totally contaminated with parasites. The issue is, that plant was his favorite. He absolutely loved sitting under it and even sometimes letting his head rest on the moss at the base of it.

I cleaned out his temp tank and then put him and just the 2 large rocks back in, then fed him a Panacur dusted cricket. Currently, he is sitting in the water, attempting to jump out. He only ever does that when I put him in the bucket to clean his tank. He's ignoring the rocks like they don't even exist. I think he wants his plant.

Any advice on what I should do? I absolutely do not want to contaminate his new vivarium with parasites, so treating him in the temp one is perfect. Do I keep his plant with him over the 4 week treatment and then just put him in his new vivarium without it? Or will that plant keep him infected the whole time I'm trying to treat him?

He seems stressed, trying to jump out...as I typed that, he started calling in his tank again, haha. Maybe he's ok, after all.

Eta: I covered 3 sides with towels and he is now sitting on a rock. I hope he stays happy with this set up for 4 weeks :/

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well, since your setting up his permanent tank/treating him I would let him keep it until he doesn't have any parasites, and once the treatment is over don't let him have it anymore

Pleasantly

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Well, since your setting up his permanent tank/treating him I would let him keep it until he doesn't have any parasites, and once the treatment is over don't let him have it anymore
    He's sitting on the rocks now, so I'll try to see if he remains happy with this set up. I'll just have to keep sides covered again like I did when he was doing really bad. I think the plant made him feel secure, so hopefully the covered sides can help meet that need.

Nationality
    [United States]

You could get a smooth/safe artificial plant.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Pleasantly

Pickle Banjo is continuing to do really well. Call me crazy, but I swear to you, he starts croaking when I play my ukulele. He's done it several times now, and once, he even stopped when I stopped and started again when I did.

His wounds seem to be improving, especially the toe. It almost looks as though the toe is healing like he might not lose it.

Today

2 days ago

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He is a handsome little guy!

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow! This is remarkable! He looks great .

Pleasantly

Wow! This is remarkable! He looks great .
    He looks even better today! I took more pics, but don't know how interested the people here are to see them. He is healing so fast now, you can see a difference in just 1-2 days. He's such a joy and watching him heal more everyday has been such a wonderful experience.

Nationality
    [United States]

We love pictures .

13. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

We love pictures .
    I'll second that. I think it's safe to say no one here will tell you not to post a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

15. This member thanks Snappi13 for this post:

Pleasantly

We love pictures .
    Quote Originally Posted by Snappi13 View Post
    I'll second that. I think it's safe to say no one here will tell you not to post a pic
    Ok, here are more pics! He still calls every day around 11 am and again around 8pm. We still get such a kick out of it. He also calls sometimes in the middle of the day if I play the uke

2 days ago

Today

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow he has healed very nicely I agree with you. What a nice transformation! He's looking happy and healthy! Or should I say hoppy

Stephanie

18. This member thanks Snappi13 for this post:

Pleasantly

Pickle Banjo is still doing great! It looks like the skin is trying to grow over the broken bone in his toe. His knee is completely healed. Here he is today...

20. This member thanks Pleasantly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful recovery!

Stephanie

Pleasantly

Pickle Banjo is still in quarantine being treated, and he's still doing great! I have a question though...he has developed little black marks on his face, right by his nostrils. I've never noticed them until now because they are suddenly much wider and darker and caught my attention. Looking back on pics, I can see they slowly began forming, it seems. Can anyone tell me what they are or what they might be causing them? Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Probably nose rub. Time to Upgrade his tank size. Nose rub is when they rub their faces, trying to get out/get to something. Typically large or very active frogs get it. Typically Rana/Lithobates frogs, such as Pickle Banjo. Put some Neosporin without painkillers, and it should go away, but make sure it does, or he could get infected with diseases. It should go away when he has a larger tank as well
    Last edited by Cliygh and Mia 2; May 7th, 2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Forgot the period after Banjo

Pleasantly

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Probably nose rub. Time to Upgrade his tank size. Nose rub is when they rub their faces, trying to get out/get to something. Typically large or very active frogs get it. Typically Rana/Lithobates frogs, such as Pickle Banjo Put some Neosporin without painkillers, and it should go away, but make sure it does, or he could get infected with diseases. It should go away when he has a larger tank as well
    Thank you for this information! Looking back on pics, it seems he started developing it when I took the plant out of his holding tank for quarantine. Poor guy. I hope to have him in his big tank within the next couple of days.

25. This member thanks Pleasantly for this post:

Pleasantly

So Pickle Banjo is now in his new viv. I've never built one before and I had to rush this one a lot more than I would've liked to since he was just in a little container on the kitchen counter for over a month. I chose not to do a foam stuff background because I think he needs as much room as possible and this is only a 33 gallon tank. I also chose not to do a false bottom because I don't plan on moving the viv at all. I'd love to create a 55 gallon paludarium for him sometime in the near future though.

Here is the breakdown of his current viv:

33 gallon aquarium (received an old one from a cousin. Gave it a little makeover with a sharpie )
    Tetra repofilter (nothing fancy, just something cheap to clean his water for now).
    Temp and Humidity gauges (I didn't put those there, they were already on the tank and stuck on there good).
    River rock and sand substrate
    Springtails
    Lighting is probably not really sufficient, but it's what I could do for now (fluorescent daylight bulb).
    Driftwood
    Large rocks
    Plants:
    *Oriental sword
    *Bunch plant (no idea what the actual name is).
    *Salvinia
    *Frog moss
    *Sagittaria Subulata
    *Utricularia Graninifolia (I understand this to be difficult to grow. Just figured I'd give it a try).

As for his wounds, they are still healing well and I got his supplements. I think we are all set for the most part (for now).

27. 2 members thank Pleasantly for this post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information