Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help: Injured Bullfrog Care

Pleasantly

Default Re: Help: Injured Bullfrog Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    For keeping it long term, the minimum terrarium size would have to be a twenty gallon tank, but bigger is better! If you have the space, a forty, or fifty gallon would be preferable. They are largely aquatic, and most of the enclosure should be land, basically, a floating lily pad/floating island/glass divider on 1/4 of the tank would be okay. And you can feed him crickets, night crawlers, (NOT RED WIGGLERS! Reds have secretions which make most frogs steer away from worms in general) wax-worms, (not to much of these they are fatty and so are pinky mice) thawed pinky mice, roaches, and guppies (NOT GOLDFISH/MINNOWS Most have parasites, that could harm him, and even with the guppies you would have to breed them/have a colony of them to be safe)
    Thank you! Would a live water lily growing in the tank be ok? I happen to grow water lilies in pots as a hobby, so that might be fun to grow one in a tank with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Tea tree oil can be very dangerous if used in not proper concentration, if you are to use it melafix should be used.

awesome news! If he is eating the things are going pretty well. Don't know much about care, I'll cover veterinary part. If you are to keep him, you will need to treat him for parasites that all WC frogs carry and adapted to live with. In captivity it's a different story and it will become a problem sooner or later

If he is eating it would be very good if you could find reptiboost ( reptiaid) by fluckers and dust crickets with it. It would help him heal better.
    Thanks so much! I will pick some of that up. I'd imagine I can order it on Amazon if the pet store doesn't carry it.

And while he is healing, I would invest in a lid on the tank. He will heal enough to jump out of his tank, and dry out, and probably die, so put a lid with air holes in it so he doesn't get out
    Getting on it now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I believe that a live growing lily pad would be good for him! And for stress reasons when you get the tank set-up, put duck-weed in the water as well. It will help him become camouflaged/stay green, and will let any foods you feed him have a foot hold instead of drowning

Nationality
    [Canada]

Treat for parasites and then live plants otherwise he'll contaminate everything and live plants are not that easy to disinfect
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also, I believe that they have similar care two leopard frogs, so here you go! Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886)

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad your frog is feeling better! A few good crickets or nightcrawlers a day should do him good. If you want to keep him I agree about the larger semi aquatic tank. He will Love swimming around once he is back to health. One thing my bullfrog (which is a similar setup to a green frog) loves to sit on is cork bark, it floats on water and he can sit on it. It is an inexpensive way to have a "perch" in the middle of the water rather than buying a overly priced plastic lily pad If you decide to opt out of the real one It is a few dollars online but could be found even cheaper at a pet store. My local sells it for $6 a pound (That would be a lot of cork!) I paid about 50 cents for my piece.

This is a link to what I mean if you don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/core/med...cb78b94ba17c09

Pleasantly

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Treat for parasites and then live plants otherwise he'll contaminate everything and live plants are not that easy to disinfect
    Good to know! Thank you.

Also, I believe that they have similar care two leopard frogs, so here you go! Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886)
    Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily1 View Post
    I'm glad your frog is feeling better! A few good crickets or nightcrawlers a day should do him good. If you want to keep him I agree about the larger semi aquatic tank. He will Love swimming around once he is back to health. One thing my bullfrog (which is a similar setup to a green frog) loves to sit on is cork bark, it floats on water and he can sit on it. It is an inexpensive way to have a "perch" in the middle of the water rather than buying a overly priced plastic lily pad If you decide to opt out of the real one It is a few dollars online but could be found even cheaper at a pet store. My local sells it for $6 a pound (That would be a lot of cork!) I paid about 50 cents for my piece.

This is a link to what I mean if you don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/core/med...cb78b94ba17c09
    I'm glad he is too
    Thank you, I'm sure he would like that.

Pleasantly

Just changed out his water because it was getting nasty. He was jumping like crazy in the bucket I put him in. That's amazing because just a few days ago, he wouldn't jump at all. So I'd say it's a good thing I drilled holes in the lid to the tote he's in so I could snap it down

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also, I found a set-up pic for you http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/21367...-crickets.html (Scroll down a bit)

Pleasantly

Also, I found a set-up pic for you http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/21367...-crickets.html (Scroll down a bit)
    Thanks!

We were able to find a connection to a 30 gal tank. I'm getting excited to build his home and have found myself really interested in creating a paludarium. I've been looking for a good winter activity that will give me my gardening fix while snow is covering the ground. Growing aquatic plants indoors in a tank with the frog will probably do the trick!

As for the frog, I fed him 2 crickets today. He's moving all around his temporary tank and is sitting in the water to soak more and more. So far he just keeps getting better every day.

I admit though, I'm a little freaked out by the parasites bit. I've been wearing gloves to handle him and keep the area clean where I tend to him, but the word "parasites" just keeps creeping through me. What kind of parasites do wild frogs generally have? Can they be transmitted to humans? I'm hoping to get treatment for them, tomorrow.

Pleasantly

I cannot find treatment for parasites or even any info on where to buy it. All I've found was 2 products that I can't find for sale online except for one and it was for cattle..I'm betting the dosage for a cow would be much different than for a frog. I called a vet and they want $75 just to see him and then the cost of the medication on top of that. It's going to cost quite a bit just to get him set up, let alone a vet bill for over $100. It's looking like we might have to release him. Does anyone have information on the products used to treat amphibian parasites and where I can buy them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I found someone who might be able to help mailto:dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com He is an amphibian vet I believe

Pleasantly

I found someone who might be able to help mailto:dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com He is an amphibian vet I believe
    I ordered Panacur through his office. Thank you do much for linking me to him.

Pleasantly

I had no idea, but my cousin happens to have a frog vivarium, which I got to see today. She had a 30 gal aquarium, cover, a cricket cage with water and food for them, and some moss for me. I'm currently bleaching the tank. The crickets are all set up in their box and eating and drinking. She has fire belly toads and a Dumpy tree frog. The tree frog is so cute!

Currently, I've been reading the vivarium forum here and watching youtube videos. It's sort of hard to find info on a set up that's more pond-like and less rainforest-like. I'm absoultely in love with paludariums and know I could make a hobby out of that, but I wonder how it will work out with a pond frog?

I'm a little confused about false bottoms and whatnot. I'd like a pond area along the front, and I'd like to keep the substrate out of the water. I'm learning about that as I go. We shall see!

Thank you so much for all the help here. I'm still amazed everyday that our frog is still with us and improving! Yesterday he started calling, which was really awesome to hear. Between him and the crickets, it sounds like there's a pond in my kitchen

Nationality
    [Canada]

Wooooowww, the guy is calling? Wow! He must be really doing great, thanks to you!

as palidariums, just ask in viv section that is so interesting and rewarding to DYI naturalistic tank! Possibilities are endless.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pleasantly

Wound update in pic...This was right after he dove down for a cricket. His wounds aren't as red as they were and seem to be closing. They look better to me, but I am not familiar with amphibian skin healing. It does look as though he may lose the end of the one toe. It looks discolored to me.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It looks almost healed, but yes the finger doesn't look good. The most important part he is obviuosly happy

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks a Lot better, that's great! As long as you rinse the tank very well it should be fine but I would use vinegar instead of bleach to clean next time, Just to be on the safe side.

Pleasantly

Wound update: The cuts are healing well, but it does seem he will lose the one toe/finger; however, it looks as though it's healing well at the wound site, so if it falls off, hopefully it will be rather clean.

Oh and he has a name! The boys had named him "Survivor", but I've been calling him "Pickle Banjo", so his official name is, Survivor Pickle Banjo

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's photo of the month worthy!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help: Injured Bullfrog Care

Sorry I missed this thread, but what a great story .

Survivor Pickle Banjo is looking so much better . Great job!

I do believe his toe will shrivel up and possible fall off. You're doing a great job of keeping it clean. Congrats!

You are correct... Your frog is an adorable male Northern green, aka Rana/Lithobates clamitans .

I do have a recommendation for you if you build him a water area... and that is that you add a really good water filter, such as a turtle filter or canister filter. Water frogs tend to pass urine and feces in their pond. You will still need to do water changes, but a filter will do wonders.

Another great idea is to have a side wall of the glass near the pond drilled... As in, have a small hole drilled into the glass and add a spigot. It is not necessary, but makes water changes so easy .

Supplememts you'll need if you decide to keep him as an "indoor" frog:

1. Calcium with vitamin D3. In captivity, crickets and insects in the captive frogs' diet lack calcium and lack of sunlight limits the vitamin D3, which helps them to properly absorb the calcium. Without calcium/D3, all captive "indoor" frogs will develop metabolic bone disease. It's as easy as adding a light dusting of the powdered supplement to his crickets every other day. I like Repcal, but there are other brands as well. The supplement should be phosphorus-free.

2. Amphibian multivitamin. My favorite is Repashy calcium plus. It is given in the same way with a light dusting on his crickets one day a week. In some cases, two days a week is preferred. Without the MVI he will develop nutritional deficiencies.

I tend to feed over a non-water area to limit the amount of supplements that may get into their water area.

😊
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information