Thread: New WTF size difference?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New WTF size difference?

Hello everyone, we now have another White's Tree Frog to eventually house together with our existing WTF. The new frog is in quarantine and seems quite healthy (and quite chubby), but is bigger than I expected.

Our current frog Quibbit is 2.75 inches long and the new frog Pickles is almost 4 inches long, please let me know if Quibbit will be big enough in a month to go into the same enclosure with Pickles or what is a safe size difference.

I take my WTF out of the enclosure to feed her to make sure she is eating and will do the same with the other so the bigger frog hogging all the food will not be an issue. The enclosure is plenty large enough for both with numerous hides, climbing areas and large water dish when the time comes so I am prepared as far as that goes, just don't want Quibbit to be in any danger of being eaten by Pickles. They are both females (we hope) if that matters. Please advise. Thank you!

P.S. I tried to upload a pic of each frog but regardless of size and type I get an error, but will try again....
    Last edited by Rainrad2002; March 30th, 2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added food info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New WTF size difference?

There is a glitch, you must either upload from a mobile device, photobucket or something similar.

Unfortunately, I would have to advise against putting both frogs in the same enclosure at this time. The larger frog may bully the frog and eat all the food. I would wait until they are around the same size before housing them together.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New WTF size difference?

Sorry Frogman1031, I just added info about how I am/will be feeding them separately (as I do with all my reptiles and amphibians). So with food not being an issue do you forsee any other problems?

Nationality
    [United States]

I still think that adding a much larger frog to the tank will be stressful and intimidating to the existing frog. Even with food not being an issue, the smaller frog might view the larger frog as a predator, or even worse, the larger frog may view the smaller frog as prey.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You should quarantine Pickles for a bare minimum of 30 days (90 is best!) so in that length of time hopefully Quibbit will add some size. 30 gallons min is what is recommended for a pair of WTFS-- 20 gal for the first frog and 10 gal for the additional frog.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

BrittsBugs

Quarantine and always house WTFs of various sizes separately, they can and will mistake the smaller frogs for food and eat them.

Thread Information