Thread: Pacman Frog Terrarium Plant Help.

Marissa Lynn Danylik

Default Pacman Frog Terrarium Plant Help.

So Ive had my pacman frog for about a year now and he and I have gone through a number of climate changes in his little habitat. He lives in a 10 gal tank. There is a crack in the bottom of it but it doesn't leak much if at all. I've put some live moss in there before and it seems like it likes to die on me. The biggest problem I'm having with this is my pacman frog will not use a water dish so the bottom of my tank needs to stay super wet. I found that out when this winter he went into a dormitory state and it seemed like no matter what I did he kept going into it. My moss died and this white mold/lichen started to grow inside my tank. It looks white and kind of stringy. I was using moss I found in the woods nearby my house. Though I suspect tho that the mold is actually from the tap water. I'm not really sure what it is but it's frustrating none the less. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here but I'm investing into the Exo-terra mini fogger. I really want to get this tank to a beautiful equilibrium. When I have live plants inside my tank the mold doesn't grow. Yet something happened and I don't know what. He does have a vitamin D plant bulb and a matt heater. I could use some help trying to put this together so Thaddeus the Frog and I can be happy. I'm curious about putting a tiny tree inside and any live plant suggestions as well as any other suggestions for this could be very helpful. He's in a 10 gallon tank now but I do plan on spending lots of money on a larger tank once he's bigger so any plants that live that long will move into that tank also. This will be the second time having to replant the tank tho I have only ever had moss and an orchid inside of it before. The orchid is the only thing that didn't die this winter, I just repotted it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pacman Frog Terrarium Plant Help.

Moss is an impaction risk, this includes living moss as well. Recommend removing moss entirely.

We will need pics of the mold. (From photobucket or mobile device since there have been problems lately)

Pacman frogs do not need anything greater than ten gallons, unless it's a big female, then maybe 15 gallons.

Using live plants in a pacman frog terrarium is usually a losing battle. They will dig up every plant you throw in there and step all over it.

To better help us help you, please answer these questions numbered and specific. Thanks

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pacman Frog Terrarium Plant Help.

Hello, and even though you shouldn't use the moss I think a big reason it may be dieing on you is the amount of waste these guys produce. I think I read a couple threads in the past about people wanting to put live plants in and it wasn't recommended due to this reason. I agree with Eli that it is a loseing battle. Another thing you don't want to put enough water in the substrate so you can see it on the glass on the bottom. They abrorb the water out of the substrate so if you are keeping that nice and moist that's why he doesn't go to soak. He doesn't feel the need to.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi and welcome to the forum!

this is a bit messed up, what soil are you using? Based in what you are saying you don't change it at all. Am I right?
    Would you please answer all the questions, we'll help you fix it all so your froggy would live long and happy life
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Marissa Lynn Danylik

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) Green Pacman Frog

3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure Current enclosure is coconut husk with water and frog, I don't have a photo sorry.
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" ) Standered 10g tank
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) NONE
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate NONE
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined NONE
    8----what is the typical humidity level 70-80
    9----what temperature is maintained 65-75
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure Heat matt
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) Vitamin D plant Florescent sun light
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc) Twice a month
    13---what kind of water is used Tap treated with exo terra repto safe
    -----for misting Tap treated with exo terra repto safe
    -----for the frog's soaking dish Tap treated with exo terra repto safe
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand Exo-Terra Repto Safe
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific Exo Terra Coconut Husk
    15---enclosure set up: Moist exotera coconut husk
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned White Vinegar and hot water.
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric None
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials None
    16---when is the last time the frog ate Yesterday
    17---have you found poop lately Not really, it's been hard to find I clean out the dirt and water.
    18---how often is the frog fed About 3 Crickets a week now.
    19---what size feeder is given Large Crickets
    20---what other feeders are used as treats Sometimes feeder fish. Not anymore, he stopped liking them.
    21---what is the frog's main food source Large Crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed In enclosure until fed, then roam free, removed if dead.
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often None
    24---calcium - what brand and how often I don't remember the brand but this is about once a month.
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time See above
    26---approximate age of the frog Yearling
    27---how long have you owned the frog One year in May
    28---who cared for the frog before you Pet Smart
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred Captive
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) 3 times a moth?
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area High Traffic
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no) No?
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: No
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose

Nationality
    [United States]

Your temps are too low. 80-83 (f) during the day and 75-77 at night are the recommended temps.

How big is the frog? Depending on size you should be feeding more often.

You should be dusting with calcium plus vitamin d3 powder three times a week and multivitamin powder once a week.

make sure the heat mat is on the side not the bottom. The frog can get burned if its on the bottom.

Do you have moss in the enclosure? If so, remove it. It's an impaction risk

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Marissa Lynn Danylik

There isn't moss in there anymore. The heater I have is too small, that's why. He has a new one coming soon. He's only about an inch long and about the same wide. He's still pretty small.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm pretty sure at that size you should be feeding him every day. I would also recommend possibly getting him started on nightcralwers that are dye and chemical free. They are much more nutritious than crickets. For a baby you should cut the nightcrawlers into pieces no longer than the space between the frog's eyes. For subadults the pieces should be as long as the body and adults can handle the entire worm.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [Canada]

sorry, haven't noticed these q were for tree frog, not for pac, but most q are the same.
    See below in blue and red:

very pretty

3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure Current enclosure is coconut husk with water and frog, I don't have a photo sorry.
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) NONE
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate NONE
    too low, you need 76-78 night, 80-82 day

10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure Heat matt
    Move it to the side very carefully, heat pad can't be attached to the bottom of the tank for pacman frogs

11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) Vitamin D plant Florescent sun light
    you don't need it, any low light lamp will do, in fact ambient room light is enough.

12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc) Twice a month
    please specify: water changes- how often, substrate changes - how often?l

thats good!

-----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned White Vinegar and hot water.
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric None
    Coconut husk is not suitable for pacs, you need coconut fiber( plantation soil, exo earth). Coconut husk has bigger pieces that will irritate frog when it burrows as well as its impaction risk.

17---have you found poop lately Not really, it's been hard to find I clean out the dirt and water.
    20---what other feeders are used as treats Sometimes feeder fish. Not anymore, he stopped liking them.
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed In enclosure until fed, then roam free, removed if dead.
    A year old frog is adult, crickets are not cutting it anymore, you need to add nightcrawlers, mice ( no more then one a month)

24---calcium - what brand and how often I don't remember the brand but this is about once a month.
    right now he is an adult, but you still need to supplement every second feeding with ca/vitd3 and multivitamins every 2 weeks or so.

30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) 3 times a moth?
    are 3 sides of tank covered?

-----for how long
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose

a frog seems to be stunted as it appears to be very small for an adult frog, my guess he is no bigger then 2.5"? Am I right?

Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Marissa Lynn Danylik

He is about that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    sorry, haven't noticed these q were for tree frog, not for pac, but most q are the same.
    See below in blue and red:

very pretty

too low, you need 76-78 night, 80-82 day

Move it to the side very carefully, heat pad can't be attached to the bottom of the tank for pacman frogs

you don't need it, any low light lamp will do, in fact ambient room light is enough.

please specify: water changes- how often, substrate changes - how often?l

thats good!

Coconut husk is not suitable for pacs, you need coconut fiber( plantation soil, exo earth). Coconut husk has bigger pieces that will irritate frog when it burrows as well as its impaction risk.

A year old frog is adult, crickets are not cutting it anymore, you need to add nightcrawlers, mice ( no more then one a month)

right now he is an adult, but you still need to supplement every second feeding with ca/vitd3 and multivitamins every 2 weeks or so.

are 3 sides of tank covered?

-----for how long
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose

a frog seems to be stunted as it appears to be very small for an adult frog, my guess he is no bigger then 2.5"? Am I right?

Marissa Lynn Danylik

The heat matt is on the side of my tank.

Thread Information