Thread: Troubleshooting Temps, Help Please

Default Troubleshooting Temps, Help Please

Hi folks,

Been a while since I posted, but I need to get back at it. I have a fantastic new little budgett's frog to show off later.
    Anyway, I was hoping to get some insight into ceramic heat emitters for my set up.

I have a 1 year old GABF in a 20 gallon long. The set up is half water & half ecoearth (about 5 inches deep). I have a heat pad on the side wall of the land half and a 60w basking bulb in the center of the tank. The heat pad is on 24/7; the lamp is on a 12 hour cycle. My temps have been within range, but now I'm having an issue with algae growing under the light. Kevin, the frog, spends 99% of his time in the water, so moving the lamp away from his "pond" would make him quite unhappy. I'd also be concerned that he'd sit under it and dry out. Scrubbing out the algae all the time has become quite a chore and algae will even grow on Kevin! It rubs off his skin easily, but that can't be good for him, right?
    I've done the research and it sounds like a ceramic heat emitter is my best option to keep the tank warm, without growing algae. Sound correct? I've never used a CHE and I've seen so many warnings about porcelain sockets and ratings, but I've looked at every lamp fixture in petsmart and petco and none actually say they are rated safe for ceramic heat emitters. Can someone link to a lamp they've used? I'm specifically looking for a clamp lamp. I'm fine with buying it online. I've also read that dimmers are useful. Any suggestions there?

I just purchased a water heater for Kevin's "pond". It is set for 78 degrees. I figure he spends so much time in there that I should try to make it more comfortable. I also bought a Repti-Temp Rheostat Manual Heat Controller, but haven't set it up yet. I've been doing weekly 100% water changes on the pond for the last 6 months and I'm growing quite tired of the process. It requires dragging out my faucet-connected water changer, since manual siphoning isn't strong enough to clean the sand (and he loves the sand). I just bought a small canister filter to help keep the solid waste from building up on/in the sand. This way, I can still do a partial water change, but simply scoop out water rather than siphon.

Thanks for any tips!

My god this single frog tank is 30% of my electric bill! Oh well, anything to please Kevin...

I'm having trouble posting a photo. I'll try again later.

-Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information