Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman is mean!!!!

Amenagerie

Default Pacman is mean!!!!

I'm new to frogs and I've had a pacman for a couple months now. He/she was about the size of a nickel when I got it. It's larger than a golf ball now.
    I've always been careful to let it know it was me when I wanted to handle it. I was under the impression that they didn't bite out of meanness, but mistaken identity.
    He knew it was me, he kept hopping away and I finally cupped him. He nailed my middle finger. It actually hurt a little bit.
    Am I right? Are they mean?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman is mean!!!!

oh that stinks! I had a pacman when I was a kid, but don't know about them biting to be mean. More than likely he was scared/startled and did not want to be held since he was hopping away. Any animal will bite if they feel threatened. Not that you would hurt him by any means.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Actually they generally don't bite out of defence, at least in my experience. He must have thought your finger was food. Be thankful he is this small - when they get bigger their teeth can go straight and deep into your flesh (ouch!).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Amenagerie

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Actually they generally don't bite out of defence, at least in my experience. He must have thought your finger was food. Be thankful he is this small - when they get bigger their teeth can go straight and deep into your flesh (ouch!).
    That's what I thought. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I just thought he couldn't have mistaken me since it was me he was running from.

I'm definitely hoping your right. He scared me a little bit. I've had a couple other pacmans in my life (the poor things), but they never got as big as he is. He's grown like a weed thanks to the information I found on this site.

Previously I had been told to keep them in water, half the depth of their body, in gravel. After 2 died, I realized I didn't need pacmans. This forum changed my mind.

I understand he's nowhere near his/her adult size and I do NOT want this to happen once he is. It hurt a little bit, I know it'll hurt a lot when he's an adult. lol He's actually a little over golf ball size and thanks to my outburst is totally confused about his parentage.

Thanks for the information. I'm a little more at ease. I'll be a little more careful about getting my finger near his mouth.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Well I can't promise you that if he's scared enough he won't bite you, but I've handled plenty of Pacman frogs, from froglets to adults, and I've found that deliberate movements, no messing about, straight in and pick it up (fron the sides or rear, not from the face) is the best way to go. I'm glad we've helped you - I really get a kick out of that.

FrogFreak

I had a Pac-Man frog myself. I was trying to get a cricket to move in front of her but ether she missed or mistook my finger for food and the next thing I knew was she had stuck her tongue to my finger! It scared me so bad I jerked my finger out really quickly! Because her tongue was stuck to my finger you would think she flew out of her terrarium but after I recovered from the suprise I found her in her water bowl about 2-3 inchs from were she was!

tattooed81

Talking Re: Pacman is mean!!!!

Could a pacman frog do damageż

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yes, but it's piercing wound rather than tearing (unless you try to pull your finger out - better to just let it readjust its bite and then yank your finger as it's trying to get a better grip). I have been bitten and while the wound is usually not large, it's deep and bleeds a lot.

Nationality
    [United States]

I kinda miss my pacman. He was cool. Laurie, post a pic of your little biter

Amenagerie

Here's a picture of the little twerp. Ain't he a cutie?
    He's growing fast, so I'm glad this happened now instead of later. I'm not scared of him and will handle him much more careful now and maybe I won't have to experience a more serious bite.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kurt

Very nice.

Nationality
    [United States]

he is a cutie

ShiftingStarlight

They could just be twins, I'd say! Haha,

This is my fourth ornate, and first brown one. And I was surprised at his temperament! I know he's the most ravenous frog I've ever had, but I much prefer to think of him as constantly extremely enraged because it's more adorable. Maybe being brown just predisposes you to be vicious :] He lunges angrily at ANY movement. Even if he sees you standing across the room through the glass. He puffs up ready to lunge. So maybe he is a bit angry after all. Haha.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

He's a beautiful frog but he's not an Ornate Horned Frog (Ceratophrys ornata) - he's a Chacoan aka Cranwell's Horned Frog (Ceratophrys cranwelli). The markings on the back of the eye are the main give away - in Ornates they are single dots or marks that are only on the back of the eye, not stripes that lead onto the head. Welcome to the forum!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I should add that what I said is not a guarantee - the dot thing is only a guide - I've seen Ornates with stripes but you can usually distinguish them due to the rounder shape of their head and upper body.

Kurt

Also the "horns" are more pronounced in cranwelli than they are in ornata. I would back up John's ID that this is a Ceratophrys cranwelli.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Oh I'm sure this guy is cranwelli, I was just disclaiming my dots statement as being always true. Thanks though Kurt.

Kurt

You're welcome

Nox2323

hahahaha the attitude of some of them are halariouse. mine used to bite when i first got him, me thinking it was funny, was bugging him one day he grabbed my index finger, didn't like this too much at all, but matters just kept getting worse when he just kept bringign my finger further into his mouth once he got to my second knuckle i suspended him in the air, next gulp he took he fell to the ground. and let go. I never teased him ever again.lol. pacman 1 Eric 0.

Minhocao

Definitely a ceratoprhys cranwelli...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information