Thread: first time frog owner advices

Default first time frog owner advices

Hello everyone,
    I just bought a Cranwelli yesterday, and i want to check with you guys what could be right or wrong on what i did as a first time owner.

I have: -A 40cm x 30cm x 35cm tank
    - thermo-hygrometer on the cooler side of the tank
    - heat pad placed under the tank on the left side(he ALWAYS burrows himself into that top left corner) set on 26celsius with an external thermostate that regulates the temperature using a sensor that you need to put in the substrate i suppose.
    - i use tap water to moist the substrate and to fill the water dish(the breeder told me thats completely ok)
    - substrate is 100% coconut fiber, 5 cm deep
    - i feed him atherines 3 times a week, 3 each time.
    -humidity ranges from 60 to 80% all the time.
    - i added a fake plant to get some extra cover for the frog to hide

For now, the frog has eaten 3 atherines but i dont see any traces of poop. The frog stay burrowed most of the time but is very reactive when on the surface.

I wi accept ANY kind of advice from you guys, since i dont know that much about this animals, but im willing to give my lil guy the best treatment possible. Oh, he's 4 months old and he s pretty big and fatty already.

Thank you in advance, you re awesome!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to the frog forum !
    Your frog may be staying there because the rest of the tank is too cold. Daytime temps for pacs should be 80-83 with a drop at night to 75-77 (sorry fahrenheit).

Are you dechlorinating the water? If not, you should be . Seachem prime is a good one.

When the frog buries, he often poops in the burrow, when he leaves his burrow, check for poop.

I will also post a care sheet
    http://www.frogforum.net/content/pac...-breeding-170/

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

4. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: first time frog owner advices

Hi and welcome to the forum!

-you need to take your heat pad from the bottom and place it in a side.
    -humidity and temperature gauges need to be in a middle, not the cooler side
    - temps are too low. You have 26C, it is ok for night, (25-26c) but during a day it should be a bit higher (27-28C)
    - Sensor should be about 2-3 cm above the substrate.
    - humidity should be 70-80%
    - food - atherine... No idea what that is... Is it silverside? A smelt type of fish?
    use nightcrawlers or earthworms, dusted in ca/vit d3 2xweek and multivitamins 1xweek. If you can find dubia - these are fine too. You need to stuff him, literally, give as much food as he can eat at a time every day.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

6. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Thank you guys! I'll check for poop when he leaves its burrow!

For what regarding the temperature, how can i manage it? i Mean, i have a 7W heatpad on the side now that is making one side of the tank temp 26C, but what about the cooler side? Temp there is room alike, it never changes, and the frog NEVER used this area yet. How can i raise it?

Talking about food: since this guys is captivity born, he was used to eat this Atherines 3 times a day for 3 times a week(this fish is so good for the frog that you don't even need calcium, the breeder said), do i need to change his diet on a time basis and add vitamines to that, or i can stay with this kinda diet and just add vitamines one a week?

Thanks again!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Now if only I knew what atherine is can you post pic of it?

heat pad, especially this small that you have wont help much. I prefer ceramic heat emitters or infrared lamps, plugged into hydroterm. ( controller). Instead of hydroterm you can use dimmers, more headache though to find tune the readings.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

http://www.jcpoiret.com/bapw/images/..._copyright.jpg
    This is an Atherine

Anway, i will buy one ceramic emitter and plug it in the thermostate so i can reach desired temperature(How many watts?), but won't it dry the air inside? I just have a spray to reach the correct humidity, used by hand everytime that is needed(wondering how can i control humidity while i'm away without spending loadsa money).

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, my frog is an albino!!!!

10. This member thanks silla945 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

All right! Got it lol

yeah that looks like silverside, it's ok, but not as a main diet. As a treat, absolutely, as a main diet, no.

With the frogs the variety is a key, if a frog eats defrosted fish, he sure won't have a problems with earthworms or anything else you put in your tongs

albino care is the same, except you need to avoid UvB and any bright light.

humidity - you need to cover fully or partially your screen top, it would help. If you are covering fully, you need to cut a hole a bit bigger then diameter of your lamp for it. I usually use tin foil for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    All right! Got it lol

yeah that looks like silverside, it's ok, but not as a main diet. As a treat, absolutely, as a main diet, no.

With the frogs the variety is a key, if a frog eats defrosted fish, he sure won't have a problems with earthworms or anything else you put in your tongs

albino care is the same, except you need to avoid UvB and any bright light.

humidity - you need to cover fully or partially your screen top, it would help. If you are covering fully, you need to cut a hole a bit bigger then diameter of your lamp for it. I usually use tin foil for it.
    You're so kind! Thanks for answering

So earthworms are ok as a staple? Do i need to feed them with something or do i just put them in the substrate and leave?

Humidity- what do i need to cover the top? A moist towel will be ok? And i can cover the top fully because i have areation grid on the right side of the tank

Thread Information