Thread: Help me, this is urgent!

whitestreefroglady

Unhappy Help me, this is urgent!

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole frog forum thing, and I am actually so excited to be part of it, however, I mainly got this because I need help! Urgent help.
    okay so, my frog is acting very sick and strange. I took her to the vet two days ago, and they gave me baytril to treat a skin/fungal infection. I had found her the day before with her skin all bruised up and purple, very lethargic, unable to move well, and she had flappy skin. Now she has different stuff. Her skin got back to normal, but today it became dark and she has greeny/lime coloured splotches/dots on her back. She's very lethargic, bloated, unable to eat, very sensitive and her eyes are kinda dark at the bottom. I don't know what's up. And I don't know how to help her anymore than I am! Oh and I almost forgot, she keeps opening her mouth and closing it hard with her eyes closed at times. It's as if she wants to vomit something, I'm not sure! But please help im so stressed! I really want her to make it.. I'm only young, and the vets we have here don't know anything. Please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help me, this is urgent!

Hi, welcome aboard and sorry your froggy isn't well.

She's wild caught? The snapping motions with eyes closed sounds like she is shedding, which is nothing to worry about... the lime green spots, that could be a different matter. If you could answer all of these questions, and provide pics, it would sure help us to help you! To add pics you will need an acct with a photo sharing site, like Photobucket (since FrogForum is having a glitch with photo adding). You can copy the addy of your pic and paste it into the picture attachment thing here using "URL", just be sure to uncheck the little box at the left. You could also put the addy of your pic between [ U R L ] [ / U R L ] tags (no spaces though) and that should work.

In the meantime make sure your frog has a dish of water (treated with a dechlorinator like Reptisafe) that she can soak in up to her chin in a seated position. A little shallower if she can't sit up. You could give her a honey bath-- if you have all natural honey (from bees, not corn syrupy fake stuff) you can put 3-4 drops of this into 8 oz of just barely warm/tepid dechlorinated water and soak your frog for 20 minutes, then give her a warm fresh water bath to rinse the honey off.

Hoping we can get some help to your little friend!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

4. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

whitestreefroglady

Hi, no she is not wild caught, I bought her at the pet shop about 2 years ago. She is not shedding, because no skin is coming off, and this is completely different to shed. I will try to upload a picture, but later, because at this minute I'm just using my phone. She has a water dish, shallow, dechlorinated. I set her up in a different, cleaned out, Exo terra tank with reptile carpet, a hide, some plants, the dish and a light and heater. Sorry what does the honey do exactly! I do have honey, but what does it do. Thanks so much by the way

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ah, ok! No worries. In that case a video would really help too if you can get one. Do you hear any popping sounds coming from her?

Honey helps to give them a boost if they need an extra nutritional jump start, has been commonly used to relieve constipated frogs, and honey has been said to have natural antibiotic effects... it won't take the place of meds, though, if your frog needs something stronger. Strange that she should develop the lime green spots and such after the Baytril... do you guys have an aquarium fish medication called Melafix there?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

7. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

whitestreefroglady

Hi, no I actually don't hear any popping sounds coming from her. She just opens and closes her mouth as if she wants to vomit. Maybe they could be Baytril side effects?
    I don't have Melafix unfortunately, all I have is that. I am going to try and bathe her in a droplet of betadine later on today though, do you recommend it? I Will probably also try honey

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would be very careful with Betadine... I'd try the honey bath first, and I would confer with the vet, see if he can contact another vet who specializes in exotics/herps and see if they can work togerther to figure out your frog's issues. I think it would be prudent to take a skin swab and have it tested.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitestreefroglady View Post
    Hi, no she is not wild caught, I bought her at the pet shop about 2 years ago.
    Uh, that doesn't always mean that it's captive bred. Even if they tell you it's captive bred, it is much cheaper to get a wild caught one, and they COULD be lying to you. It could be captive bred, the CB ones are more blueish that the Indonesian WC ones, and it could be CB as well, but with the problems, it is more LIKELY that it is WC

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Uh, that doesn't always mean that it's captive bred. Even if they tell you it's captive bred, it is much cheaper to get a wild caught one, and they COULD be lying to you. It could be captive bred, the CB ones are more blueish that the Indonesian WC ones, and it could be CB as well, but with the problems, it is more LIKELY that it is WC
    The poster is from OZ though, so highly unlikely her frog is an Indo
    Mom to these fine frogs!

whitestreefroglady

Hey guys, sorry for not keeping you updated. My frog has healed. I plate,y, she is esting, her skin is normal, she's pooping, she's active, she's better, so than you so much for everything. My frog is not wild, shes native to australia, and they were breeding them at the place I got her from. So yeah, anyway, that's it and thanks somuchhhhhh

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yay! Great to hear she's doing well Thanks for updating us on her.

Cheers! ^_^
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information