Thread: Good evening, newbie here

Lucky118

Default Good evening, newbie here

Hi there, good evening.

Stumbled across this site and its been invaluable, some really interesting threads.
    I was hoping for some advice/ideas really. I'm looking to set up an Amazonian flooded biotype terrarium/paludarium. I really want a few tetras and some frogs, the water section will be quite large and externally filtered.
    Id like some advice as to how many frogs I could keep together in a 30gal (uk) tank. Its 32*20*12.

Any advice will be appreciated and if you've pics I promise not to too blatantly copy!

Id like to add that id be looking at the same species, I've seen too many messages stating mixing is not the done thing!
    Last edited by Lucky118; March 21st, 2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added info

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to the frog forum !

Biotopes can be quite difficult to set up. I have exactly 0 experience with setting them up. But Bill (derangedchipmunk) will be able to help.

The height is quite restrictive. You will be loosing about 5-6 inches when you have a properly layered substrate. That only leaves you 6-7 inches of height. That kind of height really isnt sufficient for most frogs from that part of the world. I would definitely look into a tank with more height involved. (IMO, a 24x18x24 exo-terra terrarium provides the perfect balance of floor space and height).

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Lucky118

Default Re: Good evening, newbie here

thanks for the response, I've put a few other threads up and all concur. I might hold off on the advance stuff for a bit. I'm thinking of Fire bellied toads now, I've heard they can be kept in groups and my present tanks dimension's might suit a bit better...
    50/50 water/land would work well across 32" I think...

Hmmm, interesting. Now, when you are saying flooded, how deep are we talking?

Depending on design, you could feasibly do a decent paludarium in a 20" tall tank. You can plant it with miniature or ground cover plants. Keep in mind that when doing a paludarium, you are dealing with the marginal area, where the water meets the land, if you will, and not many tall plants grow there. I would suggest you research the area where the frogs you are interested in. Search for pics of streams and creeks and such. Those will give you an idea of where the frogs would live, and maybe get some inspiration for your build

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Lucky118

Thanks again, jumping in at the deep end I think.. pun intended!
    I've seen some setups in relatively 'low' tanks...I really like the thought of a flow from one end to the other, ideally with a waterfall of sorts one end, a pump drawing water from the other end. Currently seeking out the correct pieces of wood that'll give the look i'm going for.
    Going to delve into the galleries on here, its getting the picture in my head on to paper that's stumping me (again, pun intended)

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forums! Bill is the one to help for sure. he was able to reach me how to not kill plants....
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information